Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bayside Breezes

A lot has been posted about how living Bayside means
you benefit from the cooling breezes. With the way the
weather is out there at the moment it seems like you
need all the help you can get!! (Great pictures of the candles
Mrs Dagboy).

How far inland do you start to lose these benefits?

Thanks Karen
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

I guess it depends on whether obstructions like hills are in it's way but out-to sea you can get them up to 12+ nMiles.

They are caused by the pressure differential caused by the difference in temperature of the land and sea at different points of the day. They will go one way in the morning then the other way late afternoon.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 9:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel
I guess it depends on whether obstructions like hills are in it's way but out-to sea you can get them up to 12+ nMiles.

They are caused by the pressure differential caused by the difference in temperature of the land and sea at different points of the day. They will go one way in the morning then the other way late afternoon.
That explains why the back of our house is cooler in the morning, and the front is cooler in the afternoon.

Someone mentioned recently that the 4 degrees difference between inland and bayside would not be that noticably different. I wish to put on record that I think they are WRONG !

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:26 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

Someone mentioned recently that the 4 degrees difference between inland and bayside would not be that noticably different. I wish to put on record that I think they are WRONG !

Agreed. Every degree matters when its really hot. Under "normal" circumstances your body temperature at about 37C is warmer than the air and so you radiate heat into the cooler air. Once above 37C, you can no longer radiate heat and the only mechanism your body has to cool is perspiration. Perspiration is only effective if there is a breeze. At temperatures at these levels 4C will make a HUGE difference in comfort!
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:36 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
That explains why the back of our house is cooler in the morning, and the front is cooler in the afternoon.

Hi Abc,

My candles didn't melt in Bellbowrie! Thats now on record too!

Jane
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In Sydney even the CBD feels the benefits of the Ocean. At the weekend there was a 9C temp difference between the CBD and Penrith. The CBD is about 5 kms from the Ocean. Living in a valley does not help and I guess the geography of the Harbour channels the breezes.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:23 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Jane.

I have to agree with ABC & jayr, I know it sounds like harping, but its true. I have lived away from the coast most of my life, the difference between here & the western suburbs is an awful lot, I couldnt live over there again now having lived here by the bay. Yesterday it made absolutely NO difference where you were, it was bloody hot, but most days it will make a big difference.

BTW, our house has no air con & only 1 ceiling fan in the whole house, yesterday & Saturday when the candles melted was when we were out & the house was closed up. Not sure how far inland the cooling breezes go, but my guess is not too far in Brisbane as there are quite a few hills etc in the way.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:52 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
LOL Jane.

I have to agree with ABC & jayr, I know it sounds like harping, but its true. I have lived away from the coast most of my life, the difference between here & the western suburbs is an awful lot, I couldnt live over there again now having lived here by the bay. Yesterday it made absolutely NO difference where you were, it was bloody hot, but most days it will make a big difference.

BTW, our house has no air con & only 1 ceiling fan in the whole house, yesterday & Saturday when the candles melted was when we were out & the house was closed up. Not sure how far inland the cooling breezes go, but my guess is not too far in Brisbane as there are quite a few hills etc in the way.
Hi Mrs Dagboy,

In the long run, you're probably right, it will make a difference. My original point was that, as a new person here, it doesn't, hot is hot. Today has been my worse day so far and I really don't know why. If Jim and Joseph weren't so happy here, I would have been on a flight home tomorrow. What I didn't need was to come on here and find somebody shouting at me, telling me I was wrong. Oh well, tomorrow is another day and I'm sure I'll feel better. (I couldn't feel much worse.)

Jane
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:57 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh poor Jane, yes, I do know what you mean, its true, hot is hot. I dont think ABC meant to yell at you, hope this horible spell of hot weather breaks soon (its not always this hot, thank god! ) & you'll start to feel better. The heat sends me loopy (just ask Dagboy ) & I dont have all the other stuff to deal with .
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Jane,
Sorry if I worded what i said in a bad way. It wasn't meant harshly.
I think that once you have been here for a while you acclimatise to the higher temps, but when it goes up even further, it gets noticeable. At least it does to me.

I understand what you mean about wanting to get on a flight home. When I arrived here the first time in 1986, I stayed on CoochieMudlo Island for a short while, and it was so hot for me at the time, that I couldnt stay in QLD, and went down to Sydney. I didnt give myself chance to get used to the change in weather. I had left the UK in 2 feet of snow, and arrived in QLD a day later at mid summer temps. !!

I suppose thinking back to that, it wouldn't have made any difference to me then, if it was 35C or 41C at the time. It was TOO Hot.

I think the weather has now changed..... Rain, and Rain today..