Reload this Page >

Bayside area in Brisbane advice please

Bayside area in Brisbane advice please

Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:39 pm
Banned

Viyada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bayside area in Brisbane advice please

Hi Everyone

We are hoping to move to the Bayside area in Brisbane (at least I think that's what it's called). We are looking at suburbs from Thornside and all suburbs down the coast as far as about Redland Bay. I'm hoping to come on a reccie sometime in February, but some advice about these areas in advance would be wonderful.

I would like to know if there are any areas to avoid. We are a family, so both primary and senior schools are an important consideration for us. What is the commute into Brisbane like from these areas? I have looked on Domain at housing and it seems like we will be able to get a nice 4/5 bedroomed house in these areas, hopefully near to the sea.

I am sure I will have more questions, but I hope there are some people living in this area who will be able to start me off with a bit of information.

Thank you

Viyada
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bayside area in Brisbane advice please

Originally Posted by Viyada
I would like to know if there are any areas to avoid.
There are parts of Thornside and Birkdale that I would have low on my priorities. Theree are good parts in the same suburb. You need to have a look for yourself. Wellington Point to Victoria Point is all good.

We are a family, so both primary and senior schools are an important consideration for us.
There is a choice of both public and private schools.

What is the commute into Brisbane like from these areas?
Rail is probably the pick about 55mins. There is also a bus service.

I have looked on Domain at housing and it seems like we will be able to get a nice 4/5 bedroomed house in these areas, hopefully near to the sea.
Sea as in Moreton Bay. No surf unless you go across to Nth Stradebrooke Is or Gold Coast.

Have search of the forum as your questions have been asked before.

WW
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:40 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Basically bayside is 25 mins driving end to end, so you can live anywhere, and send the kids to school anywhere. Some kids will even catch the train into the city for school.

The sea is generally 10 mins away, but you will pay a lot more for sea view, and have less land. When you get here it'll come down to finding the house type you want, on the land size, and in roughly the area you want. On the web we were going for birkdale, and ended up in thornlands.

Local council site

http://www.redland.qld.gov.au/corp/

Tourist site

http://www.more2redlands.com.au/more2/

You will have a choice of free state, cheapish church schools, and private colleges.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:21 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

We are hoping to move to the Bayside area in Brisbane (at least I think that's what it's called). We are looking at suburbs from Thornside and all suburbs down the coast as far as about Redland Bay. I'm hoping to come on a reccie sometime in February, but some advice about these areas in advance would be wonderful.

I would like to know if there are any areas to avoid. We are a family, so both primary and senior schools are an important consideration for us. What is the commute into Brisbane like from these areas? I have looked on Domain at housing and it seems like we will be able to get a nice 4/5 bedroomed house in these areas, hopefully near to the sea.

I am sure I will have more questions, but I hope there are some people living in this area who will be able to start me off with a bit of information.

Thank you

Viyada
Hi

You might find that there are essentially two parts of the Bayside. The first comes under Brisbane Council (Wynnum, Manly, Lota,) and then Redlands Council (Thornside to Redland Bay) all of which are on the coast line. Different Councils different rules etc i.e. Level 6 water restrictions in say Lota then next door in Thornside Level 2.

Train goes as far as Cleveland with a bus station in Victoria Point and not much public transport in Redland Bay. For whats on in Wynnum, Manly, Lota areas check out www.ourbrisbane.com Also check out www.realesate.com.au for houses.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:48 am
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

We are in Thornlands which is 5 mins away from Cleveland. Lots of new houses here around the $500,000 + mark for 4/5 bedrooms with a decent garden. Very family orientated around bayside and perfect for families (we have 2 boys aged 7 and 3). Schools are good and lots of choice for either private or state.

Cleveland is the last train stop though so I wouldnt go any further south if you need to commute to Brisbane - it would make it a fair old trek.

Good luck x
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:41 am
Banned

Thank you for your replies. Good information about the trains, although I think my husband may have to drive in anyway.

Are schools within catchment areas? ie do you have to live within a certain range of a school to go there? Are there any really good senior schools in that sort of area?

Thanks again

Viyada
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:03 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your replies. Good information about the trains, although I think my husband may have to drive in anyway.

Are schools within catchment areas? ie do you have to live within a certain range of a school to go there? Are there any really good senior schools in that sort of area?

Thanks again

Viyada
No catchment area system ! so all good
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Along with the great info above, have a check through the search facility. It's a very popular area and so there are shed loads of threads on the subject with more info for you.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:01 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again

Viyada
There are a couple of schools in the area that have catchment areas. Good choice of both public and private schools varying in price.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:02 am
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

I drive to Brisbane from Redland bay. It depends on what time I leave. If I go early, then 35 minutes. If I go in the rush, then about 1 hour. It's the same back in the evening. Ideally you need to be on the road at 6.30 am to miss the traffic and on the way back at 4pm.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:35 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by iceman
I drive to Brisbane from Redland bay. It depends on what time I leave. If I go early, then 35 minutes. If I go in the rush, then about 1 hour. It's the same back in the evening. Ideally you need to be on the road at 6.30 am to miss the traffic and on the way back at 4pm.
You must get there at some speed

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:53 pm
Banned

Thanks again for the replies.

OK, so someone says no catchments and some else says there are catchments for some schools.......are the schools with catchments particularly good schools? If so, which ones are they?

If people had their pick of public high schools in that area, where would they choose to send their children?

At the moment people say that pretty much the whole area is great!! Sounds wonderful, but is that really the case? I'd really appreciate a no holes barred kind of answer - even if it's by PM, as I know people don't want to offend others by saying bad stuff about particular suburbs.

I know when I get there I can have a look around and decide for myself, but I may not have long to to buy somewhere and don't want to buy something and have huge regrets by not having researched things properly in advance.

Thanks

Viyada
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Redland Bay - lots of new houses, no rail to city - liveable score (5)
Victoria Point - lots of new houses, new shopping area with everthing you need, Thompson's Beach a highlight with calm water and sand! liveable score, still no train link (6)
Thornlands - lots of new houses, close to Cleveland & transport, no real shops to speak of, some nice views over the bay in parts (6)
Cleveland - shops, a few bars, a few restaurants, rail & bus links, Cleveland Point, character (8)
Raby Bay - harbour, restaurants, a few shops, canal estate, nice foreshore, bloody expensive, walk to Cleveland (9)
Ormiston - bit overated for me but nice enough, older more established housing, on the train line, Ormiston College, (7)
Wellington Point - mixed old & new housing, the point itself is great for picnics etc, decent row of cafes & restaurants on the train line (8)
Birkdale - similar to Wellington point but maybe a little cheaper, decent shops & spice Avenue for a curry, train to the city (7)
Capalaba - the centre for shops, it has two mall's & the Redland Bay Road for, yes, more shops. not as close to to the water, a little rough around the edges (5)
Alex Hills - some nice parts, some acreage, reputation for being a little rough may get you some decent property a lot cheaper (6)
Mount Cotton - not a great comute but a nice location, all new housing, reasonable price, perfect acreage estate but no transport links hence (6)

Mark
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:29 am
Banned

Hi Mark

You are an absolute star!!! That's just the sort of stuff I want!!

I'm trawling through the REIQ site at the moment seeing what they have to say about each suburb.

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Viyada
Old Jan 30th 2008, 3:09 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

As the others said each suburb has parts that are more desireable than others.

We're in Capalaba and think it's great for us. We could afford a much better house than we could get in the areas closer to the coast. We're close to shops and still in a relatively new and nice area. Although there are definitely parts of Capalaba that we wouldn't move to. Also my husband takes the bus to the city and it's 35 minutes, so we're closer than the areas by the ocean.

You'll get a pretty good feel of each once you drive around. So I wouldn't stress too much about it before you go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.