Baulkham Hills

Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:14 am
Sydney Bound Jan 2006

Kopites will become famous soon enoughKopites will become famous soon enough
Default Baulkham Hills

Off to Sydney in Jan, planning to go to the Baulkham Hills area, two kids 7 & 11, any info on schools, transport, house prices, distance from Sydney and the general area please

Andy
Old Aug 9th 2005, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

rich4efc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Baulkham Hills

Hi Andy

We're heading out in mid Sept / early Oct & are planning to settle in Cherrybrook in the Hills District. We have a couple of friends who both live there (both kopites btw ) & they are very happy with the place.

Their kids go to John Purchase Primary & Cherrybrook Tech High School, both of which seem to have good reputations. Our kids are 12 & 14 and will both be going to Cherrybrook Tech.

Both of my mates work in the CBD & they get the bus, which takes 40 - 60 mins, the bus stops at the bottom of their road.

House prices are fairly high, similar to prices in the UK but it's a very leafy suburb & there are some really nice ones.

Keep in touch & I'll let you know first hand soon :scared: :scared:

I'll have a cold one waiting for you when you arrive

Rich
Old Aug 9th 2005, 3:10 pm
Sydney Bound Jan 2006

Kopites will become famous soon enoughKopites will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rich4efc
Hi Andy

We're heading out in mid Sept / early Oct & are planning to settle in Cherrybrook in the Hills District. We have a couple of friends who both live there (both kopites btw ) & they are very happy with the place.

Their kids go to John Purchase Primary & Cherrybrook Tech High School, both of which seem to have good reputations. Our kids are 12 & 14 and will both be going to Cherrybrook Tech.

Both of my mates work in the CBD & they get the bus, which takes 40 - 60 mins, the bus stops at the bottom of their road.

House prices are fairly high, similar to prices in the UK but it's a very leafy suburb & there are some really nice ones.

Keep in touch & I'll let you know first hand soon :scared: :scared:

I'll have a cold one waiting for you when you arrive

Rich
Cheers Rich,thanks for the info.good luck to nite,you will need it ha ha.IF you need anything or I can help you give me a shout or PM me.Looking forward to that beer ,cheers Andy
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:08 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kopites
Off to Sydney in Jan, planning to go to the Baulkham Hills area, two kids 7 & 11, any info on schools, transport, house prices, distance from Sydney and the general area please

Andy
By all accounts I think it's an ok area and it's about 45-1 hour from the CBD. Someone who's living there may correct me. I've got rellies there and they seem to be doing ok for themselves.

Sorry can't be of more help.

Cheers
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

I can't give you real details - but my brother lives there. He teaches at st Michaels, the local catholic primary school, which has a good reputation. Because it's a bit further away from the city and beaches, you should get a better quality house for your money. It's very close to the M2 - so I expect if you go by car that would be the way into the city - but I've heard it's really busy in the rush hour - so may be the bus is a good alternative for a commuter.

There are loads of new housing developments in that area (including Castle Hill and further up the M2) but I'd say Baulkham Hills has large areas of established suburbs (probably from the 70s - someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway - it looks like a good family area with sports grounds, golf courses, shopping centre etc nearby.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:18 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chocaholic
I can't give you real details - but my brother lives there. He teaches at st Michaels, the local catholic primary school, which has a good reputation. Because it's a bit further away from the city and beaches, you should get a better quality house for your money. It's very close to the M2 - so I expect if you go by car that would be the way into the city - but I've heard it's really busy in the rush hour - so may be the bus is a good alternative for a commuter.

There are loads of new housing developments in that area (including Castle Hill and further up the M2) but I'd say Baulkham Hills has large areas of established suburbs (probably from the 70s - someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway - it looks like a good family area with sports grounds, golf courses, shopping centre etc nearby.
IMO previous views are more or less correct. M2 is very busy in rush hour... we are looking to buy a property in cherrybrook at the moment... There is a lot of diverse housing in the hills area

http://www.hillsweb.com.au/suburb_de...kham_hills.asp

this might help. There are loads of new housing develoments nearby with a good range of pricing.... like everything you have to see it for yourself but we are moving to that general area ourselves..... If you have any specific questions just ask...
Old Aug 10th 2005, 5:10 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

60 mins on a good run is probably about right however the buses are not that frequent and the people I work with complain about the service. For drivers don't forget the M2 toll (I think it is $3.80)and harbour bridge toll ($3 into CBD only). There is a new tunnel being built from the end of the of the M2 to the warringah freeway which will also attract another toll but will make buses quicker at rush hour.

The public transport issues in the hills makes the roads a nightmare. North Ryde and Maquarie Park are probably the best places to work from there.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andy

Baulkham Hills is a nice suburb, it's quite big and has nicer streets and not such nice ones. Personal opinion only, but I wouldn't opt for going south of there, the suburbs tend to be less well thought of, and I guess the same could be said of some of the suburbs west of there too.

Castle Hill - the next suburb north is really nice - smaller than Baulkham Hills, but with fantistc shopping (thinking of your wife here!!!!! ) As someone else has said, Cherrybrook is another good suburb in the area - and the schools he mentions are excellent. Pennant Hills, Beecroft, Carlingford and Epping (although that may be a bit more expensive) are all ok too.

If you are looking for something a little more rural, but still within easy reach of all the amenities offered by a larger town then try looking at Glenhaven and Dural.

Hope that helps.

Rudi

Last edited by Rudi; Aug 10th 2005 at 8:56 am.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Hills district is very bland though - all houses and nothing to do.

Transport is appalling

However - if you're happy enough looking at your house and admiring it then you'll be just fine.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm - have to disagree with that one. Not sure what you mean by the nothing to do bit. Maybe a bit dull for young singles, but for families it's great - tons and tons to do.

There are some areas in the Hills with new housing estates which are very dull, but not all the suburbs I have mentioned are like that.

Rudi
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichS
Hills district is very bland though - all houses and nothing to do.

Transport is appalling

However - if you're happy enough looking at your house and admiring it then you'll be just fine.
There's also the Hillsong Church, they could go to....
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

SarahJane is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am moving over to Sydney late Sept (arghhhh!!) to start a job which is in the Castle Hill area. However, was hoping to live nearer the city and commute out...all of you talking about the traffic I presume you mean its bad going into the CBD at rush hour? Anyone have any idea on what it would be like to drive to from somewhere like Balmain out to that area?

Don't know what that area would be like to live but I am moving out alone and don't know anyone in Sydney so no disrespect to the family suburbs, which seemed very nice when I visited earlier this year, but think I would rather live somewhere a little more sociable and nearer the city??

Any thoughts???
September is not far away....
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahJane
Hi

I am moving over to Sydney late Sept (arghhhh!!) to start a job which is in the Castle Hill area. However, was hoping to live nearer the city and commute out...all of you talking about the traffic I presume you mean its bad going into the CBD at rush hour? Anyone have any idea on what it would be like to drive to from somewhere like Balmain out to that area?

Don't know what that area would be like to live but I am moving out alone and don't know anyone in Sydney so no disrespect to the family suburbs, which seemed very nice when I visited earlier this year, but think I would rather live somewhere a little more sociable and nearer the city??

Any thoughts???
I'd agree with you - Hills District is no place for a young, single person looking for a little night-life.

Balmain would be a great area for you. You'd be travelling against the flow so you wouldn't get the hold-ups that occur in the other direction. You'd need to go over Gladesville Bridge and get onto the motorway just past Lane Cove. From there, it would be very quick - no hold-ups at all.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SarahJane
Hi

Any thoughts???
Hi Sarah Jane

I guess the traffic would not be too bad going in that direction but I still think you are looking at maybe 45 mins at least out to Castle Hill from Balmain. It takes me 25 mins from Epping to Castle Hill at 8.30 in the morning. I have heard that Balmian is a pretty happening sort of place, so if you do not mind the commute then it's a great choice.

Rudi
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

SarahJane is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Baulkham Hills

Originally Posted by Rudi
Hi Sarah Jane

I guess the traffic would not be too bad going in that direction but I still think you are looking at maybe 45 mins at least out to Castle Hill from Balmain. It takes me 25 mins from Epping to Castle Hill at 8.30 in the morning. I have heard that Balmian is a pretty happening sort of place, so if you do not mind the commute then it's a great choice.

Rudi
Yep, thought it may be that sort of journey. But having lived just outside London and spent most of my life commuting up and down the lovely motorways here I am hoping it can't be as bad!!
Balmain sounds good..thanks for the info!!! It isn't too young though is it? By that I mean I am 30 not 21 if you get what I mean?! No offence meant of course if anyone reading this is 21!!! Been there done that part of Sydney on my WHV!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.