Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Barefoot children?

Barefoot children?

Old Sep 3rd 2004, 3:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Barefoot children?

Excerpt from thread on well-known airline/pilots forum......

Pilot refused to fly shoeless children
The boot is on the other foot for passengers on an Air New Zealand flight delayed by barefoot children, with National Party MP Gerry Brownlee criticising the airline for being family unfriendly.
It emerged yesterday that two MPs - Mr Brownlee and Labour's Lianne Dalziel - were among the 104 passengers delayed for nearly an hour on Monday when the pilot refused to take off because two children did not have shoes on.
After checking with the pilot, the airline confirmed today that the shoeless children, believed to be aged about two and four years, was the safety reason the flight was delayed.
Ground crew unloaded part of the plane's luggage hold to find the family's bags, a spokesman said.
"The bag with the shoes was not readily found in the hold, so the captain finally made the decision that he could not hold the flight up any longer and departed."
==========================
And there was me thinking it was only Queensland where the people went everywhere with bare feet.......

To read the whole thread:

http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthr...hreadid=143290
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 4:49 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barefoot children?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Excerpt from thread on well-known airline/pilots forum......

Pilot refused to fly shoeless children
The boot is on the other foot for passengers on an Air New Zealand flight delayed by barefoot children, with National Party MP Gerry Brownlee criticising the airline for being family unfriendly.
It emerged yesterday that two MPs - Mr Brownlee and Labour's Lianne Dalziel - were among the 104 passengers delayed for nearly an hour on Monday when the pilot refused to take off because two children did not have shoes on.
After checking with the pilot, the airline confirmed today that the shoeless children, believed to be aged about two and four years, was the safety reason the flight was delayed.
Ground crew unloaded part of the plane's luggage hold to find the family's bags, a spokesman said.
"The bag with the shoes was not readily found in the hold, so the captain finally made the decision that he could not hold the flight up any longer and departed."
==========================
And there was me thinking it was only Queensland where the people went everywhere with bare feet.......

To read the whole thread:

http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthr...hreadid=143290
No shit...........!

I know this must be a wind up! The pommies in Aus do not like to see people in Supermarkets in their bare feet...but a two and four year old?! On a plane we lighten up and even let them wear pjs!

Here in NSW my child who goes to afterschool club - now has a 'no open toed shoe' policy for all care time...to try and let some people know nicely - thongs are not sensible footware!

I am taking the piss a little bit regardless of the true bit above - cause I buy responsible shoes as do most parents at the school my child attends....but the fact the school and after school care have to issue notices about childrens feet and what they wear?..................

So I know I am so much up my own backside in believing things for my children .....but shoes on a plane? ...they supply you with socks so you can take your shoes off????

I flew Air New Zealand quite a few time this year.....and my opinion on this story....the pilot must have been menopausal and on 'one' of his 'bad' days!

tch ---- 'men' for you!
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 7:31 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid blinkin health and safety laws....(says me, H&S advisor for my department!)

Had something similar at university. When in Halls, it was ok to walk around barefoot or with slippers/shoes but it was against regulations to walk around in socks because of the old slip hazard.

Most people take their shoes off when the fly anyway don't they? So where's the problem?
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 11:50 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

The no shoes thing isn't limited to QLD When Josh stayed with my folks in NZ [Whangerie] Children and adults alike just didn't wear shoes. Even in the winter when my mum had her thick socks and hiking boots on the locals would plod past in bare feet. Josh didn't wear shoes for nearly a year but he was living on a boat for most of the time .
First thing I do on a plane is take my boots/shoes off. If there's a problem and you have to leave via the emergency exits the first thing you have to do is remove your bloody shoes anyway so whats the big deal?
Old Sep 4th 2004, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

it is considered normal behaviour to go out without shoes on in NZ, especially in summer. I even went out barefoot my self once just to try it. It did feel quite liberating, but not nice when you get home as you need to wash your feet!!
Old Sep 4th 2004, 6:24 am
Badge

Originally Posted by podgypossum
it is considered normal behaviour to go out without shoes on in NZ, especially in summer. I even went out barefoot my self once just to try it. It did feel quite liberating, but not nice when you get home as you need to wash your feet!!
even more liberating to not wear anything at all....

Old Sep 4th 2004, 6:31 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
even more liberating to not wear anything at all....
Glad I cannot see your webcam badge.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 6:35 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Dont they tell women with high heels to take them off in an emergency??? Whats the point in getting kids to put shoes on, on a plane. Especially at the consequence of making it late
Old Sep 4th 2004, 7:43 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

That is crazy, the 1st thing I do when I get on a plane is take my shoes off.

However the Aussie thing with no shoes in the supermarket is very odd, When I 1st got together with my hubby we wnt to the supermarket and to my horror as we walked in the door of Tesco I noticed he had no shoes on. I went straight back to the car as I really did not want to be seen with him as people were staring and to this day he still insists that it is perfectly normal. I can almost understand it in Australia as it is very hot and accepted as the norm (at least where he comes from if not the big cities) but In february in England it realy is not normal.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kala

However the Aussie thing with no shoes in the supermarket is very odd, When I 1st got together with my hubby we wnt to the supermarket and to my horror as we walked in the door of Tesco I noticed he had no shoes on. I went straight back to the car as I really did not want to be seen with him as people were staring and to this day he still insists that it is perfectly normal. I can almost understand it in Australia as it is very hot and accepted as the norm (at least where he comes from if not the big cities) but In february in England it realy is not normal.

I am guilty of letting my kids go out non-shoed! My youngest 2 hate wearing shoes/thongs etc and whenever I look down they have nowt on their feet!

We went out to Sizzler for a meal tonight in aid of Father's Day tomorrow and I realised one of them had no shoes - who cares this is QLD for goodness sake! Expect all the other people thought we were from the trailer park or something.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 9:38 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

criky, I'll be lucky to get my kids to keep their clothes on, never mind their shoes!!! as soon as it gets even mildly warm the boys abandon their tshirts and shorts......does get a bit embarassing in the middle of john lewis though! When we go to the supermarket we regularly leave shoes at home (mainly cos it saves walking around the supermarket again picking up discarded shoes!)
if/when we ever get over there, my kids will fit in just fine!

sue

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; Sep 4th 2004 at 2:59 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 9:40 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

I laughed my head off at this!!!

sue
Old Sep 4th 2004, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Today we arrived at Westfield in Carindale and James (8) asked who had got his shoes. When we found he had none with him we just let him go round barefoot (another child in the lift was the same).

Funny but if we were still in the UK we would have probably got in the car and driven home!!

Muzzman
Old Sep 4th 2004, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I would rather wear no shoes but I would be afraid of treading on some glass, esp in Belfast there seems to be broken glass everywhere. Oz seems to be really clean so maybe it is safer there to walk bare feet. But I am glad to read in one of the other posts that I am not the only one who wears pj's on planes, they are so comfy.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Made me laugh, now living in UK we got an hour down the road from Notts to London before my Kiwi husband realised he was driving in bare feet and hadn't brought any shoes (this was only because I'd asked our 6 year old if he had his shoes).
Having lived in NZ for 14 years and having kids go through schools there, shoe free is widely accepted. Our primary school insisted all kids and parents left their shoes at the front door.
KAZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.