Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Barclays losed my accounts without notice

Barclays losed my accounts without notice

Old Feb 2nd 2024, 2:38 am
Just Joined

Paul the H is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Barclays losed my accounts without notice

Hi everyone, I've recently had all of my Barclays accounts closed as I was using an Australian address, however I never received any notification that this was about to happen. Barclays say they sent me 3 letters but I never received any of them. This is now causing me no end of pain. I was wondering if anyone else had the experience of receiving no notice from Barclays and finding out after the event that your accounts were closed? To add insult to injury I have had to prove my identity (after being a Barclays's customer for 50 years) via a Notary Public which cost me $360. I'm taking this claim to the financial ombudsman but don't fancy my chances. Welcome any thoughts. Thanks.
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barclays losed my accounts without notice

Barclays is only one of the many banks that try this on. Unless they sent a letter by registered post there is no proof. Quite often they have sent it to an old address and in the case of e-mail (if you use telebanking) it ends up in the SPAM. The "old money" banks haven't woken up yet basically. Just vote with your feet and move to a better service.

There are other options open to you these days with a group of new financial services and institutions with which you can manage your money internationally.

WISE and REVOLUT are 2 examples but there are a few more.
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 11:35 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barclays losed my accounts without notice

Maybe we should compile a list of banks that go mental when a customer shifts their address to Australia?

Seems ludicrous that as a UK citizen a bank would strip you of your right to hold an account with them simply because you are currently residing abroad...