Barbie invite

Old Feb 7th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Barbie invite

Hi,

We have been here a month now and got an invite out to a barbie on Saturday. Im having a little panic here because i dont know what we should take with us. Cooking is no problem if people tell me what!

I was thinking
some wine / light beer
homemade apricot mousse
tomato and cucumber salad

Is this overkill? i think we are the only 2 people going. Any ideas gratefully recieved.

What about flowers for the wife?

Eeek, i just dont knw the Aus etiquette for social gatherings and dont want to seem ignorant or rude.

Lisa.xx
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:00 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barbie invite

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa
Hi,

We have been here a month now and got an invite out to a barbie on Saturday. Im having a little panic here because i dont know what we should take with us. Cooking is no problem if people tell me what!

I was thinking
some wine / light beer
homemade apricot mousse

Is this overkill? i think we are the only 2 people going. Any ideas gratefully recieved.

Eeek, i just dont knw the Aus etiquette for social gatherings and dont want to seem ignorant or rude.

Lisa.xx
Take your own alcohol and meat.Did it say byo or bring a plate?
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
Take your own alcohol and meat.Did it say byo or bring a plate?
Oooh nothing like that, it wasnt a paper invite jsut a bloke at Olivers work said "come on over for a barbie saturday arvo with the wife"

so still no wiser!!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh nothing like that, it wasnt a paper invite jsut a bloke at Olivers work said "come on over for a barbie saturday arvo with the wife"

so still no wiser!!
Why not ring the wife and ask what you can bring? When we're invited to barbies or dinner we usually bring a bottle of wine and I offer to bring desert or a salad. Although when we were invited to Christmas lunch our hostess rang and said "Please come for Christmas lunch. Oh, and bring whatever your're drinking and enough salad for 10 people".
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:19 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Take plenty of booze with you

If you all have kids maybe take some cakes or something that will keep them all happy ... and if you don't have kids, a nice big cake goes down pretty well anyway.

Have fun
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why not ring the wife and ask what you can bring? When we're invited to barbies or dinner we usually bring a bottle of wine and I offer to bring desert or a salad. Although when we were invited to Christmas lunch our hostess rang and said "Please come for Christmas lunch. Oh, and bring whatever your're drinking and enough salad for 10 people".
but i dont need to take meat right?
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

so still no wiser!!
I too would ring the wife (or get OH to find out) what to bring. Generally speaking such an invite does not mean bring your own meat and drink. If they say "nothing" you can always take a bunch of flowers or a bottle of wine.

HTH
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sel
Take plenty of booze with you

If you all have kids maybe take some cakes or something that will keep them all happy ... and if you don't have kids, a nice big cake goes down pretty well anyway.

Have fun
Yeah they have kids i was gonna make a fairy cake tower for the kids and then take an apricot mousse for the adults
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:22 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

but i dont need to take meat right?
I would call and ask. Just explain you are new to this and ask if there is anything other than your meat and beer you should bring. They will soon tell you if you don't need to take your meat and what else to bring.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OzSheila
I too would ring the wife (or get OH to find out) what to bring. Generally speaking such an invite does not mean bring your own meat and drink. If they say "nothing" you can always take a bunch of flowers or a bottle of wine.

HTH
Great, thanks i will give them a call.
Lisa.xx
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:25 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah they have kids i was gonna make a fairy cake tower for the kids and then take an apricot mousse for the adults
Im sure that will go down great
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:37 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking
some wine / light beer
homemade apricot mousse

If you want to get invited back again, the don't for goodness sake take light beer!

S
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
If you want to get invited back again, the don't for goodness sake take light beer!

S
but we are driving... so light beer for us Dont worry, we're not that bad!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

The norm is a potato / pasta salad & a cheesecake from the Cheesecake Shop.

For the OH, a carton of Crownies to digest whilst leaning over the BBQ judging the host on his charring capabilities whilst talking absolute bollox throughout.

Hi,

I was thinking
some wine / light beer
homemade apricot mousse

Lisa.xx
Old Feb 8th 2007, 12:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

but we are driving... so light beer for us Dont worry, we're not that bad!

Sorry, I thought you were taking light beer for others to drink!

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.