Banks

Old Oct 16th 2010, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice
Default Banks

I know much has been written, but I'd appreciate a little quick advice, please.

I have banked with HSBC in UK for several years, and I'll be moving over to Sydney shortly.

I need a local account, which readily allows (at minimal cost!) transfer from OZ into my UK HSBC account monthly.

I see there is an HSBC close to my place of work in Chatswood. The obvious plan is to open up a second HSBC account there, BUT would people recommend opening an account with an Oz bank,say ANZ (who seem to get good reports)

Are there any obvious advantages/disadvantages of either?

Thank you
Old Oct 16th 2010, 7:29 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banks

I'd prefer to bank with someone that had branches everywhere rather than the very limited arrangements of the HSBC. Open an account with the NAB - it's fee free banking and costs nothing to do.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Branches and their accessibility are of little value to me as everything I do can be done online. HSBC use Westpac ATMs and don't charge you for that privilege. Westpac ATMS are everywhere too. If you are a Premier customer and open one here you can transfer funds for free. You can also get an HSBC Mastercard for free with no annual fee.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

If branch access is not important, then ING Direct offer fee-free banking - though at most ATMs you need to withdraw $200 or more in one go to not be charged (although I found Bendigo Bank ATMs didn't charge for ING Direct cards for any amount).
Old Oct 18th 2010, 1:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Stick with HSBC for reasons others have said. They are fine.