Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bankruptcy And Working Freelance In Australia...

Bankruptcy And Working Freelance In Australia...

Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

ian27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bankruptcy And Working Freelance In Australia...

Hey guys,

I need some advice please. I work as a self-employed sole trader, just doing freelance design work etc. However, I have recently had to file for bankruptcy in the UK due to some debts that I had occurred during a period of sickness. The sickness required a lot of surgery, and then I recently had a large contract cancelled, due to no fault of my own, which has affected my financial status quite a bit. So I gained some advice from one of the debt counselling services in the UK (CCCS) and they advised me to file for bankruptcy.

My question is - once I arrive in Australia, can I continue working as a freelance designer even though I am in my bankruptcy period in the UK? The debt counselling service in England seem to think that it would not be a problem, but I just wanted to check with you guys first to see if anybody had ever had a similar experience.

Thank you in advance...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

ian27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bankruptcy And Working Freelance In Australia...

Anybody?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

marcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to all
Default Re: Bankruptcy And Working Freelance In Australia...

Yes,

Credit records in Aus are not accessible by UK debtors, and vice versa.

My credit was shot in the UK due to a default on a credit card and two overdrafts, all of which are now paid off in full but were incurred due to MASSIVE communication and correspondence issues with the banks when I first moved out here.

However my credit rating here is spotless but I am in a position where I don't need any credit for anything.