Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bankrupcy and then emmigration - any thoughts

bankrupcy and then emmigration - any thoughts

Old Aug 21st 2006, 1:01 pm
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of
Default bankrupcy and then emmigration - any thoughts

would be very interested if any of you good people have very literally made a `complete new start` in Aus -

I know Aus inland revenue do talk the inland revenue uk - but in reality do they knock on your door in Aus for Uk Idebts? -

How much of a credit card debt do you have to have before, again, someone knocks on your in Aus, assuming they can find you in the first place -

I Would wish, in an ideal world, to settle all my finacial affairs honorably before leaving UK, but due the incompetance of our tax inspectors (ie, with respect to tax, you are guilty until proven innocent, and if you can not prove your inocence - `tough s*i*`) , I might have to do otherwise -
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bankrupcy and then emmigration - any thoughts

You can pay off UK debts whilst in Australia, which is what we're planning. Just keep your UK bank account and do transfers over the internet. I know some other members are doing this.

I don't know if they do come looking, but would you want to start a new life constantly looking over your shoulder?

Not to mention the ethics of what is, in effect, stealing.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:44 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougggy
would be very interested if any of you good people have very literally made a `complete new start` in Aus -

I know Aus inland revenue do talk the inland revenue uk - but in reality do they knock on your door in Aus for Uk Idebts? -

How much of a credit card debt do you have to have before, again, someone knocks on your in Aus, assuming they can find you in the first place -

I Would wish, in an ideal world, to settle all my finacial affairs honorably before leaving UK, but due the incompetance of our tax inspectors (ie, with respect to tax, you are guilty until proven innocent, and if you can not prove your inocence - `tough s*i*`) , I might have to do otherwise -
what happens if you ever want to return to the uk?

while the credit card companies may or may not think it worth the effort to chase you for unpaid debts i am pretty sure that as far as outstanding tax is concerned the inland revenue are not going to just give up - they chase people in the uk who owe as little as 1p - i don't think a bit of distance is going to put them off!

Tiggs
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:51 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sorry to but in but i have seen this spoken about somewhere else and i cant remember where but if it helps in any way the post i read mentioned that alot of the uk banks have ties to aussie banks, in particular HSBC, and while if they are just chasing you for repayment there is a limited period they have if any court procedings have been put against you the time frame is indefinate. again i dont know if its true and i cant seam to find the thread but if im wrong then sorry.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:11 pm
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of

ah , t`is true but ...

but who is the real criminal
he who robs the bank,
or he who own the bank - Bertold Brecht
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:12 pm
careful what you wish 4

ah , t`is true but ...

he who robs the bank,

own`s (sorry)
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:28 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

ah , t`is true but ...

he who robs the bank,

i couldnt agree more but there is nothing worse than lying in bed at night worry if someone is gonna knock on the door.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, your title is "Bankruptcy...then Emmigration" yet you don't mention Bankruptcy in your post, just a credit card debt. Do you have a large amount of different debts part from the credit card ? One credit card debt is not much as you can still pay in installments when in Oz, but if you are talking about a large number of debts of varying amounts, are you considering Bankruptcy ??

I'm not sure what affect a Bankruptcy would have on an Emmigration application, maybe someone else would know, because this is something that has been mentioned to me before, by friends who were considering emmigrating following Bankruptcy !

Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:40 pm
careful what you wish 4

lots on credit cards - but covered (easily) by equity on house

- thus , ie. point of thread - has anybody just said` stuff it,
I`m not playing (paying even) any more ?`

and then what happened ??
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:49 pm
Straw Man.

lots on credit cards - but covered (easily) by equity on house

- thus , ie. point of thread - has anybody just said` stuff it,
I`m not playing (paying even) any more ?`

and then what happened ??

They will find you. my old house mate from 10 years ago said the same thing and went to the US owing 22000 to a well known credit card company and the minute he registered for a phone utilities and stuff they were onto him, hes still paying them back.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Then pay your debts.

The tax man has nothing to do with these surely so why use there incompetance as an excuse if you are owed a rebate on tax you will get it eventually plus interest.

Sorry but it is simply not right to buy things on credit and not pay for them especially if you are more than able to.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
They will find you. my old house mate from 10 years ago said the same thing and went to the US owing 22000 to a well known credit card company and the minute he registered for a phone utilities and stuff they were onto him, hes still paying them back.
My friend is in this situation but can't find any info on it.

Ok if this is the case, with someone having so many debts mounting up, would this affect an emmigration application, or would they value the fact that the debts are being paid (even if it will take years), or would you not mention the debts in the application and pay them anyway from Oz ??
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:37 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
or would you not mention the debts in the application and pay them anyway from Oz ??
The visa application form does not ask for financial information. They do not ask you whether you have debts or savings (if your visa application is for one of the skills based visas, e.g. 136, 457, ENS, RSMS, STINI etc). If you or your friend have been declared bankrupt in the UK, this also does not affect your visa application.

Will they find you in Oz and come knocking on your door? I am sure they would. So, would recommend you agree a payment plan and keep paying off your debts.

Gina
Old Aug 21st 2006, 6:10 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

my motto (which applies for me anyway) is, 'I/You got yourself into this mess, you have to get yourself out of it'

You can pay debts (credit card etc) from Australia - online banking makes it really easy!

Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

wannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the rough

I know that National bank in Australia actually own a few banks in the UK. Banks are international. You need to provide your passport to open anaustralian bank account so you can be traced.
Its best to settle your debts befor eyou go. Then start a fresh...........

However I have thought............. how am I gonna keep defering my student loan??? Thats a tricky one!! Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.