Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Banking in Queensland

Banking in Queensland

Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:12 pm
Queensland Mag

Imreswastedlife will become famous soon enough
Default Banking in Queensland

I tried to open a bank with BOQ as this bank had been reccomended to us by a friend,unfortunatley you have to be a resident for 6 weeks not much use when you're still in the UK. my next option is ANZ anybody have any thoughts or experiences on ANZ or can anyone reccomend any other Banks

Thankkyou Paul
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:30 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking in Queensland

Westpac will let you open an account from the uk via internet, you confirm your ID when you get here. There's a thread somewhere on how to do etc.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

No Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really nice

Originally Posted by Imreswastedlife
I tried to open a bank with BOQ as this bank had been reccomended to us by a friend,unfortunatley you have to be a resident for 6 weeks not much use when you're still in the UK. my next option is ANZ anybody have any thoughts or experiences on ANZ or can anyone reccomend any other Banks

Thankkyou Paul
You can open a bank account before you arrive, I did it a few weeks ago with ANZ, a current account and savings account, no problems at all.

Check out http://www.anz.com/uk/Personal/Movin...NZ/default.htm

You can open the accounts, enable internet access and deposit money but you will have to activate your account when next in Australia. If you do this as soon as you arrive you only need your passport.

Other advantage of opening the account while in the UK is you don't need your TRA number (tax) when opening the accounts, you can give it to your bank when you receive on again when in Australia.

Try ANZ, could not have been easer.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

No Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really nice

Don't know when you are going to Australia but it is worth noting you can only open an account 12 months before arriving in Australia.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:56 pm
Queensland Mag

Imreswastedlife will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by No Dramas
Don't know when you are going to Australia but it is worth noting you can only open an account 12 months before arriving in Australia.
We're hoping to arrive in May,so best get my finger out really.going to give the ANZ thing a bash I think.Thanks very much for the info cheers Paul
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

If you get the application completed online this weekend I reckon it could all be sorted before the end of the week.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Imreswastedlife

Thankkyou Paul
Strange.

I opened an account with them the day i arrived. Turned up with a passport and money and they opened there and then.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:53 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

We used NAB. Opened account in UK. They have a migrant banking department in London. If you open a Clydesdale bank account as well (same group) you can transfer your money fee free.