Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Banking - ANZ or WESTPAC?

Banking - ANZ or WESTPAC?

Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:47 pm

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banking - ANZ or WESTPAC?

Looking at opening a bank account in Aus before we emigrate in the next few weeks, does anyone have any thoughts on ANZ or WESTPAC - ideally we would like to use online banking as we do in the UK, they both do it.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice
Default Re: Banking - ANZ or WESTPAC?

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
Looking at opening a bank account in Aus before we emigrate in the next few weeks, does anyone have any thoughts on ANZ or WESTPAC - ideally we would like to use online banking as we do in the UK, they both do it.
Hi

Think about Commonwealth Bank. I am not sure if you live near London, but they have a branch there for Aussies working in the UK, but also services for Brits about to make the move to Australia.

I am a dual citizen working back here at the moment (UK) and am arranging my mortgage through them at the moment to buy a house back in Australia. They are very helpful indeed.

Another option is HSBC - they have branches in UK and Australia.

There is online banking with both of them.

Was with Westpac at one point, who were ok really, much like the rest, but they did seem to charge for alot of services from memory.

You could also try a Credit Union in Australia (same a a Building Society).

I also know the St.George Bank is quite good.

Chookas
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall
Hi

Think about Commonwealth Bank. I am not sure if you live near London, but they have a branch there for Aussies working in the UK, but also services for Brits about to make the move to Australia.

I am a dual citizen working back here at the moment (UK) and am arranging my mortgage through them at the moment to buy a house back in Australia. They are very helpful indeed.

Another option is HSBC - they have branches in UK and Australia.

There is online banking with both of them.

Was with Westpac at one point, who were ok really, much like the rest, but they did seem to charge for alot of services from memory.

You could also try a Credit Union in Australia (same a a Building Society).

I also know the St.George Bank is quite good.

Chookas

I found opening an account from the UK was easier with ANZ than with Commonwealth bank. Also St George are now owned by Westpac.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

They are all about the same but I think HSBC is the only one where you don't have to pay bank fees, either way if you open one when you arrive in the first 6 weeks you should only need your passport

They are all about the same
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:12 am
Finally in Melbourne!

ittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really nice

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
Have to say, we went with Commonwealth. We opened an account in the London Branch and then validated it upon arrival in Melbourne. We are with the main city branch - we have a personal banker (please note we are not rich!) who has been simply amazing. We do not pay any bank charges and we can ring him with any problems - he even sorted out our car and house insurance at very competitive rates. They also do online banking. Couldn't fault them so far!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ittakesages
Have to say, we went with Commonwealth. We opened an account in the London Branch and then validated it upon arrival in Melbourne. We are with the main city branch - we have a personal banker (please note we are not rich!) who has been simply amazing. We do not pay any bank charges and we can ring him with any problems - he even sorted out our car and house insurance at very competitive rates. They also do online banking. Couldn't fault them so far!
We have had the same experience with Westpac.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cant comment on westpac, but we moved over a month ago... and we set up an account with ANZ. So far I cant fault them, highly recommended. Branch staff here have been fantastic.... if you have any questions about ANZ feel free to pm me and I will answer all i can.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:12 am
ABCDiamond

Most banks are pretty much the same.

I've had accounts with most of them now.
Comm Bank, HSBC, ANZ, Westpac, St George plus some that have now gone the way of mergers.

I still have accounts with 4 of those 5, but will never return to one of them.. 'Which' bank ? Do they still run that advert ?

I will also be moving from St George at a convenient moment, after I get the current problems sorted out.

HSBC, ANZ and Westpac have all been consistently OK, although I only use ANZ for credit cards and a childs bank account now.