Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bank Reference - What did it say?

Bank Reference - What did it say?

Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

wits end will become famous soon enough
Question Bank Reference - What did it say?

Hi I wonder if you can help me? I've read on here countless times that it's useful to have a UK bank reference to take over to Oz with us. I have contacted my very 'helpful' bank and let's just say they're not being very cooperative . Can one of you kind people tell me what details I need them to write and how yours was worded if you've been successful in obtaining one of course! Pls PM me if you prefer.

Thanks in advance for your help, I really appreciate it!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Reference - What did it say?

Originally Posted by wits end
Hi I wonder if you can help me? I've read on here countless times that it's useful to have a UK bank reference to take over to Oz with us. I have contacted my very 'helpful' bank and let's just say they're not being very cooperative . Can one of you kind people tell me what details I need them to write and how yours was worded if you've been successful in obtaining one of course! Pls PM me if you prefer.

I don't know of anyone who got a UK bank reference! All people want to see here are bank statements - money talks
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by curly
I don't know of anyone who got a UK bank reference! All people want to see here are bank statements - money talks
Thanks for replying Curly, if that's the case have got loads of statements and it will save me the hassle with my bank. It's just in the 'to do' lists I've looked at it says refs from banks to prove we're good payers?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wits end

you could try Experian for a credit reference.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I got a bank reference from my bank (first direct) before I moved to Bermuda. Unfortunately I can't remember what it said exactly although I will take a look around.

I do recall it was very to get and I think it just said that I was a customer of X years and my accounts were maintained in good order.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

LINZI32 is on a distinguished road

I have read on this site that bank references are no good, australian banks arent interest...i might be wrong but thats what i have read !!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:48 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother with any form of credit check, bank references or so on. It will be a complete waste of your time and not help with any process once you are in Australia. Its about your ability to pay here, your job here, and institutions are not the least bit interested in your overseas credit history.

Whether your history is good or bad, everyone starts from scratch.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:23 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Bank references are written in some sort of code in the UK: someone in the industry might be able to decipher them. They use phrases like "Good for all transactions" and "His banking history so far does not unduly arouse concern". (ie would not touch with the proverbial...)

But whether Australian banks would be able to make the appropriate inferences from the "code" I doubt, even if they looked at the references.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Don't bother with any form of credit check, bank references or so on. It will be a complete waste of your time and not help with any process once you are in Australia. Its about your ability to pay here, your job here, and institutions are not the least bit interested in your overseas credit history.

Whether your history is good or bad, everyone starts from scratch.
Does that apply for mortgages too? We are looking at buying a house soon and were wondering how they went about checking credit histories.
Ours should be fine I hope - we both had mortages back in the uk with no defaults - but my husband missed a couple of credit card payments before we met 4 years ago. He didn't get taken to court or collection agencies or anything but had a couple of payment overdue reminders. I'm probably just being paranoid. We have had no problemn with opening accounts and credit cards over here so far...
Old Apr 15th 2009, 12:39 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

When I moved here I got a "Letter of Introduction" from the HSBC in the UK which I gave to the HSBC here in Australia. Apparently it makes things easier. Just demonstrated they had a banking relationship with me.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Inglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura about

Like it's already been said before, you start from scratch over here, whether you have been a good or bad payer previously it doesn't matter.Your credit history in England doesn't count for anything.
All they are interested in is if you have the $$$$$ for a deposit if necessary and a job to pay mortgage.
We needed 20% for a deposit as we hadn't been in employment for at least 6 months, but got the mortgage immediately, couldn't believe how easy it was!
The bank manager said if we hadn't got 20% deposit, we would have had to pay extra charges such as mortgage indemnity insurance and waited until we had been in work 6 months. Hope this helps
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for all of your replies, really helpful and you've saved me no end of time! Really appreciate it - THANK YOU!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
When I moved here I got a "Letter of Introduction" from the HSBC in the UK which I gave to the HSBC here in Australia. Apparently it makes things easier. Just demonstrated they had a banking relationship with me.

That is kind of thing I bought to Bermuda, First Direct being part of HSBC and I opened an HSBC account there. Their systems are not connected but I had tw bank accounts and a cedit card within an hour and everyone told me that was a record