Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bank Healthcare Assistants in Australia?

Bank Healthcare Assistants in Australia?

Old May 2nd 2010, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Gemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the rough
Default Bank Healthcare Assistants in Australia?

Here in the UK I work as a Healthcare Assistant on the Staffbank, meaning I can work the hours that suit me, as and when shifts are available. I don't have set hours but go online and choose shifts when they and I are available.

I have been doing this here prior to starting a midwifery degree in September (if we don't get our visa!) and was wondering if Australia have the same opportunities?

I want to apply for a midwifery degree in Oz too, but can't do this until we are PR so am hoping to work in the interim period.

G x
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Healthcare Assistants in Australia?

Hi, there was some discussion on BE previously about care assistants/nursing in aged care homes, usually run by private organisations. You can also subscribe to the WA govt's jobs in health website and receive an email about advertised jobs: http://www.jobs.health.wa.gov.au/page.php?pageID=215. Some are described as being as part of the pool, so maybe they have a similar system here, though not as sophisticated or flexible as what you're used to.

I also remember a discussion about midwifery training and how it was better in the UK than Australia. I read something about the Australia training course being shorter than the UK one, and not as well regarded. Have a search on BE for midwives or nursing.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Gemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the roughGemnic is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Hi, there was some discussion on BE previously about care assistants/nursing in aged care homes, usually run by private organisations. You can also subscribe to the WA govt's jobs in health website and receive an email about advertised jobs: http://www.jobs.health.wa.gov.au/page.php?pageID=215. Some are described as being as part of the pool, so maybe they have a similar system here, though not as sophisticated or flexible as what you're used to.

I also remember a discussion about midwifery training and how it was better in the UK than Australia. I read something about the Australia training course being shorter than the UK one, and not as well regarded. Have a search on BE for midwives or nursing.
Thank you Helen, for you advice here and on the Education thread.

I have looked into nursing and midwifery in WA and, you're right, midwifery herein the UK is far better and world-recognised whereas doing a degree in Australia means I could never actually DELIVER a baby (Drs do this part) and couldn't work in the UK, only Oz.

If we don't get our visa, I will be doing the degree here, otherwise it is a sacrifice I am willing to take to move with my family and offer my children a greater quality of life than they are getting in the UK.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gemnic, I have sent you a pm.