Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bank Charges - Bounced chq fees

Bank Charges - Bounced chq fees

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 9:11 am
ABCDiamond

Default Bank Charges - Bounced chq fees

Just seen a report on TV that I thought might be worth passing on.

If someone gives you a cheque to pay for something, and they don't have the funds to allow it to clear, YOUR BANK will charge YOU. (and their bank will charge them), but YOU as the innocent party will have to pay a hefty fee.

The most expensive bank, according to the report is the NAB at $50, others are at around $40.

I would never accept a cheque here in payment for anything. Maybe that's one more reason why not many people have cheque accounts.
It's Cash or EFTPOS.

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bank Charges - Bounced chq fees

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

If someone gives you a cheque to pay for something, and they don't have the funds to allow it to clear, YOUR BANK will charge YOU. (and their bank will charge them), but YOU as the innocent party will have to pay a hefty fee.

The most expensive bank, according to the report is the NAB at $50, others are at around $40.

I would never accept a cheque here in payment for anything. Maybe that's one more reason why not many people have cheque accounts.
It's Cash or EFTPOS.
Wasn't aware of this - thanks for the nod
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:19 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

It's Cash or EFTPOS.
I saw the same report and it seemed to be a bit misleading. Before I opened an account for the business I used my normal bank account, a pay cheque from a builder bounced. I wasn't charged as it was a personal account. Business accounts are the ones that charge you for someone else to bounce a cheque to you. It's a shitty deal from the banks and I'm sure the lady lawyer who pointed out the practice was illegal [in her opinion] will now have a few customers.
You can of course claim the charge as a tax loss as bank charges on business accounts are tax deductable ,so my accountant tells me .
As a trade contractor I have to vet potential customers as payment in the industry is usually by cheque. The one time I got caught the builder offered to cover any charges I incurred as it was his accounts dept. cock up, lucky for him there was none .
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 9:05 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The ABA is looking into this as the fee is way out of proportion to the cost to the bank.

Anyway cheques, cannot remember the last time I used one.
Old Dec 24th 2004, 12:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cresta57
I saw the same report and it seemed to be a bit misleading. Before I opened an account for the business I used my normal bank account, a pay cheque from a builder bounced. I wasn't charged as it was a personal account. Business accounts are the ones that charge you for someone else to bounce a cheque to you.
OK, your info here makes it more interesting, and important to check who you bank with.

Westpac state NO fee for 3rd Party bounced cheques on personal accounts

ANZ Personal Banking Account Fees and Charges quote
Re-presentation and Collection of Dishonoured Cheques $30
A cheque which has previously been deposited into your account and
dishonoured due to lack of funds can be presented again, on a collection
basis. (ANZ forwards the cheque for payment to be made by the drawer’s
bank when sufficient funds are available).
It's worth checking each bank if you intend receiving cheques from others.