Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bank Accounts in Melbourne (Mornington Peninsula area)

Bank Accounts in Melbourne (Mornington Peninsula area)

Old Oct 11th 2004, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Bank Accounts in Melbourne (Mornington Peninsula area)

Hi Everyone
As some of you may already know I have my pr visa but am desperately trying to sell my house. I thought in the interim period I would start to consider bank accounts etc.

Can anyone recommend a bank in this area that is good and how easy is it to open an account? What are the charges like, particularly for chqs and atms? Ive started to collate details for commonwealth and hsbc but I know there are others. Those of you already living in this area may be able to give some good advice.
Thanks
Irene
Old Oct 11th 2004, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Accounts in Melbourne (Mornington Peninsula area)

Originally Posted by parkhigh
Hi Everyone
As some of you may already know I have my pr visa but am desperately trying to sell my house. I thought in the interim period I would start to consider bank accounts etc.

Can anyone recommend a bank in this area that is good and how easy is it to open an account? What are the charges like, particularly for chqs and atms? Ive started to collate details for commonwealth and hsbc but I know there are others. Those of you already living in this area may be able to give some good advice.
Thanks
Irene
There aren't as many HSBC branches in Melbourne/Mornington Peninsula as the other banks but of course you will be able to use an HSBC card in other banks ATM's (for a $1.50 a time charge). If easy access to a branch is important I personally wouldn't consider HSBC but would go for the wider spread Commonwealth's, Westpac's, ANZ's etc. The subject of bank charges in Australia relative to the UK has been done to death in threads in this forum - I'd suggest you do a search on bank charges. Good luck!

OzTennis
Old Oct 11th 2004, 9:41 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

The national bank have recently released a new account where you only pay $5 per month- that's it .
ING direct have a savings maximizer account where you can earn 5% on your balance- no bank/account/tx fees . It is a ' virtual bank.'
You can bank on the phone,online or through Australia post.
The account is best linked to a 'normal' bank account so you can easily tx money- without charge from ING into the bank one.

Steve
Old Oct 11th 2004, 9:47 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

visit www.national.com.au

they also have a $3 monthly flat fee account.
With the $5 account if your balance is kept over $3000 then the fee is waived.
It's looks like there is at least one branch in Mornington and a couple of ATM
outlets as well .
Old Oct 12th 2004, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
Thanks for all your help folks. I did do a search prior to thread about banks but didnt do bank charges so will do. I did look at nationwide account for overseas but thought it was not for Australia. Will look at this again.
Thanks everyone
Irene