Bank accounts

Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:18 am
Just Joined

TerriEllen will become famous soon enough
Default Bank accounts

I thought I would just let you guys know the latest info if you want to open a Uk bank account while living overseas.
Lloyds will open a UK bank account over the counter as long as you have a your current British passport and a UK address you can use ... parents, siblings etc. You do not need a deposit, but you obviously do need to be there in person. They have also recently added international net banking to their services so you can access any money in your UK account and transfer it to your Australian account.
Barclays will also open an account but it is not as straightforward as Lloyds; you need a deposit ... 20 quid will do .... and they don't do net banking yet, so if you want to transfer funds overseas you also have to have an offshore account. Don't know what other banks offer ... I stopped when I got to Lloyds.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

JetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really nice
Default Re: Bank accounts

Hi,

To tag to this, the HSBC seem to be really good with international banking. I have an account with the Natwest and they are pretty useless to be honest.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:43 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We have had HSBC online accounts since we arrived, plus a HSBC credit card, but are in the process of divesting ourselves of them. Too many different hassles and trying to communicate with the 110% Chinese staff, pleasant though most of them are, has just become too much.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I don't find the staff a problem in that respect as I rarely need to go into a branch. Even cheques issued to me get posted to their branch. Whatever you may think they truely are an international bank. I opened my Australian account from overseas and transferred funds to it before arriving. And since living here I had got so miffed with Nationwide's arrogant attitudes that I opened up an HSBC account in the UK to replace them and again did all that by email and a form. And ofcourse I can see all accounts from any one.