Wikiposts

Bank Accounts

Old May 20th 2005, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all
Default Re: Bank Accounts

Hi

I opened a Commonwealth Bank account in the UK, so that we'd have a bank account with cards ready for when we arrived - they will also give you a mortgage (homeloan) as soon as you have employment (sometimes without).

I have now opened a BankWest Tele Saver account as they are offering 6% interest and have linked it to our new accounts with Savings & Loans Credit Union!

By the way, I had the pleasure of phoning Dell customer services and it seemed to have operators from a chinese takeaway - I still don't know when the pc's arriving!!!
Old May 20th 2005, 3:29 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ansy
Easy opening account in Aus; I'm talking from experience. Another suggestion, you may want to avoid CBA, they have very many charges for things that other banks offer free of charge. These add up when you look at your statement at the end of the month. CBA would probably charge you for asking a question if they could get away with it.
Whilst I agree with Commonwealth charging like wounded bulls most of the time, when we set up our business they were the bank with the lowest monthly fee for a business account @ $5/month. Some of the others were up to $20/month just for a monthly account fee :scared: .

However if anyone can point me in the direction of a better bank than CBA for business accounts please do so!

We have banked with CBA & had no fees because we have always had a mortgage or money in the bank with them (what they term as a "relationship") which has meant that our accounts have been fee free. However we are now in the position (because they have recently raised their threshold for "relationships" from $20K to $50K) as we get further along with the house renovations to dipping below that $50K threshold, so it looks like we will be looking for another bank for our personal bank accounts. Has anyone had dealings with ING? Noticed an ad for their savings accounts, does anyone have one & if so, what are they like? Any other suggestions?

BTW CBA are now also charging for various services if you use their netbank facility, it wont affect us personally, but some people many find it pushes up their fees.
Old May 20th 2005, 3:35 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

yep Mrs D. I have just done a transaction with them as we speak and they are great. Interest is calculated daily at 5.40% and i have 3 "named" accounts under one umberella (i'm crap at saving unless i have a set goal) The web addy is www.ingdirect.com.au you can apply on line, its easy as

I applied to Bank west via phone cos their site was down and have recieved nothing at all. That was about 3 months ago.
Old May 20th 2005, 3:35 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 2 ING personal savings accounts and have had no issues with them. They are fee free and offer a good interest rate for savings (5.4%). They are perfect for putting money aside but not as a transaction account. I use HSBC for a transaction account.

I have just opened a bank west telenet saver to take advantage of the 6% offer. I believe Megs has used the Bank West account for business purposes.
Old May 20th 2005, 5:31 pm
ABCDiamond

With the Commonwealth Bank accounts, there are different account options available, and this may have consequential effects on bank charges.
eg:
Electronic Option 15 Electronic Withrawals free per month with $5.00 monthly fee
Assisted Option 5 Electronic Withrawals free per month with $5.00 monthly fee
Award Saver 1 Electronic Withrawal free per month with $0 monthly fee
Cash Investment 5 Electronic Withrawals free per month with $5.00 monthly fee

Commonwealth Bank Electronic Withrawals include ATM / EFTPOS / NETBANK
http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/...sactionOptions

Interest Rates are up to 0.2% on the streamline and Award saver accounts, on balances over $100,000. But an extra bonus rate is paid on the award saver account.
http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/...andsavings.asp

Some banks give unlimited EFTPOS and internet banking transactions free.