Bank Account?!

Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

BimboBenjy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Bank Account?!

Hi Guys!

Please may someone tell me if I am entitled to open a bank account on a tempoarry WH 417 visa?

I have a HSBC account here in the UK and wondering if I could just let them know I will be working in Australia and use that to have my wages paid into whilst I am out there?

Thank U V.muchly
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:28 pm
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all
Default Re: Bank Account?!

Originally Posted by BimboBenjy
Hi Guys!

Please may someone tell me if I am entitled to open a bank account on a tempoarry WH 417 visa?

I have a HSBC account here in the UK and wondering if I could just let them know I will be working in Australia and use that to have my wages paid into whilst I am out there?

Thank U V.muchly
You can open an account in Oz under any visa. I opened an ANZ Bank current account with online facilities and a cheque book while I was on a normal holiday in Oz. They just require ID from you that's all, passport etc.

Then you can use that for you employment whilst in Oz and should you ever come back then just take the cash out and take it with you (or if you have an ATM card take it out from back in the UK).

Good Luck

Allan
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by allankate
You can open an account in Oz under any visa. I opened an ANZ Bank current account with online facilities and a cheque book while I was on a normal holiday in Oz. They just require ID from you that's all, passport etc.

Then you can use that for you employment whilst in Oz and should you ever come back then just take the cash out and take it with you (or if you have an ATM card take it out from back in the UK).

Good Luck

Allan
Thanks Alan, that's brill news. Thought it would be really complicated! *dur*

Do you know if they have a website so I can open the account here from UK before I get there then just show my i.d when I get there?

Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:09 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Do you know if they have a website so I can open the account here from UK before I get there then just show my i.d when I get there?

most aussie banks allow you to open an account online from your home country and once it's open you can pay money in but can't withdraw anything until you've shown them your id in person I opened mine with NAB and verified it when I went over for a reccie at christmas they were really nice and helpful and my cards were at the branch waiting for me so I could use it as soon as I'd verified it.
There's quite often links on BE for ANZ, westpac and NAB which takes you straight to thier migrant banking area
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paul30
most aussie banks allow you to open an account online from your home country and once it's open you can pay money in but can't withdraw anything until you've shown them your id in person I opened mine with NAB and verified it when I went over for a reccie at christmas they were really nice and helpful and my cards were at the branch waiting for me so I could use it as soon as I'd verified it.
There's quite often links on BE for ANZ, westpac and NAB which takes you straight to thier migrant banking area
Thank u Paul

I have gone theough and searched info re: banks accounts but could never seem to find the part about being allowed one on a 417 visa. Now I know i'm v.happy! Doesn't take much to please me a! ha!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:17 am
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all

Hi

For ANZ the web address is www.anz.com.au don't think you can open online using this link as seems to want Oz driving licence and stuff. However as mentioned before I just walked into a branch and opened one on the spot, they were really nice about it and couldn't do enough for me.

If it was the other way around the bank staff in the UK would be flapping about not knowing what to do with such a request. In Oz (well Perth any way) it seemed to be a normal request.

Anyway best of luck and enjoy your Working Holiday

Allan