Which bank????

Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Which bank????

Originally Posted by harrip
Oh I work for the NAB and can also help with Paypal, Visa and Mastercard queries. Just forward your full account details (card number, expiry date etc) and I'll help out.

Seriously, Mr Nab guy - offering help on a public forum is kinda stupid - are you in Australia or based in their Nigerian branch? There are formal methods of communication that should be followed and support queries via PM are not the way to go. If you work in risk, then you are certainly a risk to the bank. If this approach is typical then I would run a mile from NAB.
Possibly a bit harsh,it may be a genuine offer.BUT,all in all a very wise post ,well done.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I work for the NAB and can also help with Paypal, Visa and Mastercard queries. Just forward your full account details (card number, expiry date etc) and I'll help out.

Seriously, Mr Nab guy - offering help on a public forum is kinda stupid - are you in Australia or based in their Nigerian branch? There are formal methods of communication that should be followed and support queries via PM are not the way to go. If you work in risk, then you are certainly a risk to the bank. If this approach is typical then I would run a mile from NAB.
Frankly flabbergasted at your ignorant response. I've been on this forum for 6 years, almost a 1,000 posts and a good reputation. Provided plenty of offers, advice and help over the years and lots of thanks and PM's sent in response.

Thankfully I'm a decent, genuine bloke offering to help someone not a cretin like you.

And since you appear to be such a risk expert pray tell quite how this is a risk to anyone ? What exactly have I asked for ? At no point have I (nor will I) ask for anything other than the name of the individual - IF they want my help.

I haven't promise to resolve things simply to look into it and put the individual in touch with the right people at the bank.

Alternatively I could simply ignore it. Take your pick.

Clown.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:13 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Seriously you are way out of order here.

By asking "Send me a PM and I'll look into it" how do you know what information the person will choose to share with you? By the nature of the enquiry raised here, I would expect to receive the account number as a minimum to be able to 'help'.

As someone in a risk department, surely you can see the risks involved here to potential bank customers. By all means tell them who to contact, but don't solicit communication across an unencrypted insecure website.

You *may* work for the NAB but who knows? I'm sure all the Nigerian fraudsters also claim to be a decent genuine blokes.Whilst you may be following a path of good intentions, we all know where that can ultimately lead - and I'd suggest a potential clip of the ear at best, and loss of employment at worst.

Maybe I'm a clown, but I'm a clown that has previously worked for a UK bank for 15 years including several years in a Fraud Prevention department.

Last edited by harrip; Mar 26th 2011 at 12:17 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

By asking "Send me a PM and I'll look into it" how do you know what information the person will choose to share with you? By the nature of the enquiry raised here, I would expect to receive the account number as a minimum to be able to 'help'.

As someone in a risk department, surely you can see the risks involved here to potential bank customers. By all means tell them who to contact, but don't solicit communication across an unencrypted insecure website.

You *may* work for the NAB but who knows? I'm sure all the Nigerian fraudsters also claim to be a decent genuine blokes.Whilst you may be following a path of good intentions, we all know where that can ultimately lead - and I'd suggest a potential clip of the ear at best, and loss of employment at worst.

Maybe I'm a clown, but I'm a clown that has previously worked for a UK bank for 15 years including several years in a Fraud Prevention department.
I think you are overreacting a tad.

There was no way I was going to give anybody my account details or even my full name by PM!

To be honest, isn't it down to us to protect our data anyway? All Haggis did was to offer help. It is up to me to take him up on it, and to choose to trust him or not and to decide what to tell him. He did not ask me for any personal details, and if he had I would have run a mile.

As for all the scammers out there, the only reason their scam works is because people are not careful, even maybe stupid, and don't check what's what before disclosing their details. I have stopped counting the number of emails I have had from all manner of "banks" asking me to log in to re-activate my account. I am wise enough to know to ignore them. And even if genuine, I will always ignore or ring the bank to check before I do anything. I also have a very good anti-virus/firewall that blocks all these fake sites so even if I actually go and check them out (I do it for fun sometimes ), I get flashing windows all over my screen warning me. It is up to me to choose to ignore all the warnings and if I get scammed, I am to blame. Over the internet, nobody is pointing a weapon at you, forcing you to do anything.

Give us some credit please!

And yes I know that even on here, there are people naive enough to post personal details. They need to educate themselves. And thank god the mods do a good job of monitoring the site and keeping private info private.
But again, it is posters' responsibility to keep their details private, nobody else's.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

robowen will become famous soon enoughrobowen will become famous soon enough

I agree...a bank is a bank is a bank !
The ones who dont charge fees usually find a way to claw it back somehow.

I went with Westpac...because they are Red and I like Red !!

I travel up and down the coast a lot and its good to be with a bank that has plenty of atm's. Some banks dont have that many and do charge a lot to withdraw.
You have to remember that this is a huge country, when you get out in the sticks theres not many small banks gonna put an atm out there !
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:03 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robowen

Perfectly valid reason in my opinion.

United fan by any chance?
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

I'm out of line ? What have you been drinking ? I make a genuine offer to help and you call me stupid, a risk to my bank and to avoid NAB. One look at my BE profile etc would show you that I'm clearly not a nigerian fraudster . But then again folk like you find it easier to criticise.

For your information I've been in banking for 21 years, 13 in risk. I've worked for 2 Investment Banks and a Retail Bank in the UK so I know what I'm talking about. How does "send me a PM and I'll look into it" translate into send me all you personal details so I can rip you off ?

If anyone was stupid enough to send me (a complete stranger) their personal details then is that my fault ?

Perhaps I should have just ignored the original question that was initially directed at me and let the lady take her chance with the calls centres and the process. Alternatively I ask a simple question in the bank, find out who is dealing with this issue and pass the name of the banker onto the lady who just sent me a PM. Please enlighten me - how is that a risk to anyone ? I don't even need to know the individuals name. Easy to see why you're not working in banking anymore, you haven't got a clue.

And its idiotic and ignorant folk like you that makes BE such a frustrating place. First reaction is to attack.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robowen
I agree...a bank is a bank is a bank !
The ones who dont charge fees usually find a way to claw it back somehow.

I travel up and down the coast a lot and its good to be with a bank that has plenty of atm's. Some banks dont have that many and do charge a lot to withdraw.
You have to remember that this is a huge country, when you get out in the sticks theres not many small banks gonna put an atm out there !
I went with Westpac too, decided to stick with them considering 6 weeks after we arrived they gave me a job .

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Perfectly valid reason in my opinion.

United fan by any chance?
Could be a Liverpool fan Oh and have I taken the piss out of you yet????
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:56 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LouiseR
Could be a Liverpool fan Oh and have I taken the piss out of you yet????
Could well be a Liverpool fan, but as his location is "Manchester, heading to the Gold Coast" what do you think the chances are?

It must have been nice to win your game of the season... I'll just settle for being top of the league, semi-final of the Cup and quarter finals of the Champions League... shouldn't Braga about it though.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Mar 27th 2011 at 3:00 am.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Could well be a Liverpool fan, but as his location is "Manchester, heading to the Gold Coast" what do you think the chances are?
Perhaps he's lost!

It must have been nice to win your game of the season... I'll just settle for being top of the league, semi-final of the Cup and quarter finals of the Champions League... shouldn't Braga about it though.
Yada yada yada!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 3:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
I'm out of line ? What have you been drinking ? I make a genuine offer to help and you call me stupid, a risk to my bank and to avoid NAB. One look at my BE profile etc would show you that I'm clearly not a nigerian fraudster . But then again folk like you find it easier to criticise.

For your information I've been in banking for 21 years, 13 in risk. I've worked for 2 Investment Banks and a Retail Bank in the UK so I know what I'm talking about. How does "send me a PM and I'll look into it" translate into send me all you personal details so I can rip you off ?

If anyone was stupid enough to send me (a complete stranger) their personal details then is that my fault ?

Perhaps I should have just ignored the original question that was initially directed at me and let the lady take her chance with the calls centres and the process. Alternatively I ask a simple question in the bank, find out who is dealing with this issue and pass the name of the banker onto the lady who just sent me a PM. Please enlighten me - how is that a risk to anyone ? I don't even need to know the individuals name. Easy to see why you're not working in banking anymore, you haven't got a clue.

And its idiotic and ignorant folk like you that makes BE such a frustrating place. First reaction is to attack.
As far as I can see yours is really no different from the offers made on here by representatives of companies such as Ozforex - or even offers made by me to pass people's details onto the correct SES group. Its a friendly gesture which helps people out by putting them in touch with the right people....and isn't that the kind of thing which BE is here for?
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As far as I can see yours is really no different from the offers made on here by representatives of companies such as Ozforex - or even offers made by me to pass people's details onto the correct SES group. Its a friendly gesture which helps people out by putting them in touch with the right people....and isn't that the kind of thing which BE is here for?
Thanks Polly - the voice of reason again. I was beginning to wonder why I bothered !
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:10 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Things in banking have obviously changed since I worked in the industry. We didn't call potential customers "cretin, clown, idiotic and ignorant".

I'll agree to disagree.

Last edited by harrip; Mar 27th 2011 at 5:43 am.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Things in banking have obviously changed since I worked in the industry. We didn't call potential customers "cretin, clown, idiotic and ignorant".

I'll agree to disagree.
Well perhaps you shouldn't respond to a clearly obvious offer to help by calling someone you don't know stupid etc etc.

End of subject. I'm off to board my plane to Lagos.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

rexlion is an unknown quantity at this point

hey Just logged on to look at the post that I started a few days ago, thanks for all the replies.
I didn't think I would start such a debate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.