Which bank?

Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:34 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which bank?

Hi

We should hopefully be heading off to Brisbane to start our new life in 8 weeks (pending on completion of the house sale) and want to open a ozzie bank account here before we leave.

I am thinking of Westpac. Who have you all gone with and how have you found them?

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:35 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which bank?

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi

We should hopefully be heading off to Brisbane to start our new life in 8 weeks (pending on completion of the house sale) and want to open a ozzie bank account here before we leave.

I am thinking of Westpac. Who have you all gone with and how have you found them?

Thanks
"which bank" is the advertising slogan for the Commonwealth Bank (original, hey). Avoid them.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:39 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Why? I am guessing they are rubbish then.
Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:43 am
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Thanks
We have just set up with commonwealth as it was easy, just print out the online form send it off to there offices in london along with some certified ID and should be back within 5 working days. Not gone out to Aus yet but will be there in a month so will see what there service is like then. pete
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:44 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

They just seem expensive to me - though I haven't compared for a while.

On a different banck, I went into St George bank recently to buy some foreign currency - they were the only bank open after 4PM in the afternoon.

I wanted to buy 50 pounds and they asked me if I was a customer. When I said I wasn;t they said they couldn;t sell me currency. A bank not selling money, what next?

Imagine if I went ino Woolworhts and they wouldn;t sell me milk because I wan;t an existing cutomer.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:48 am
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jayr
They just seem expensive to me - though I haven't compared for a while.

On a different banck, I went into St George bank recently to buy some foreign currency - they were the only bank open after 4PM in the afternoon.

I wanted to buy 50 pounds and they asked me if I was a customer. When I said I wasn;t they said they couldn;t sell me currency. A bank not selling money, what next?

Imagine if I went ino Woolworhts and they wouldn;t sell me milk because I wan;t an existing cutomer.
It was just because it was easy that we set up with them as we needed an account before we got there, our idea is to shop arround when we get there if we think that they are crap!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:58 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks
Have a look at HSBC as you can get fee free banking with them if you play within their rules.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:05 am
brown eyes!

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Have a look at HSBC as you can get fee free banking with them if you play within their rules.
We did that because we are with the HSBC in the UK and thought it would be a good idea but when you look at it in Brisbane they only have one branch and a couple of ATM's. When we went into HSBC to ask about setting one up she even said that if you were going anywhere else in Aus them yes but she said in brisbane there is not much point as little facilities. Pete
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete jackson
We did that because we are with the HSBC in the UK and thought it would be a good idea but when you look at it in Brisbane they only have one branch and a couple of ATM's. When we went into HSBC to ask about setting one up she even said that if you were going anywhere else in Aus them yes but she said in brisbane there is not much point as little facilities. Pete
we have an account and CC with ANZ who seem to be ok so far.
we also have an online saver a/c with HSBC; you can pay in and withdraw from the post office, and use NAB and Commbank ATMs free.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:14 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see what you are saying and there is a distinct lack of ATMs outside of QLD. However, you will probably find that you don't use ATMs in Aus as often as you did in the UK. The main reason for this is most people get their cash from the supermarket (via EFTPOS). HSBC does allow you to use anybody's cash point up to 5 times a month with no fee. If you set up a separate account for the wife then you can get 10 a month. You can also get cash (fee-free) from the post office (although they have to be open for this). It's also worth noting that the post office queues here are not full of people picking up their benefits so long post office queues are rare.

Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:15 am
brown eyes!

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
we have an account and CC with ANZ who seem to be ok so far.
we also have an online saver a/c with HSBC; you can pay in and withdraw from the post office, and use NAB and Commbank ATMs free.
How did you set up your HSBC account? sounds ok if you can use commonwealth ATM's free? Is there a limit on using them? Pete
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

How did you set up your HSBC account? sounds ok if you can use commonwealth ATM's free? Is there a limit on using them? Pete
we just went into our local branch in carlisle before we left and they organised it-allow plenty of time though: see here

not sure how many times you can use the atms-there may be more info here

we just get cash out when we go to the shops.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:29 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

My husband is currently with HSBC in the UK so it might be worth him going with them in OZ. In terms of a mortgage how are they? Is it better for us both to go with the same bank to help with getting a mortgage or should I go with someone else. maybe Westpac?

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2006, 7:34 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

I posted a thread recently to try and collate some info before we changed banks from the very expensive Commonwealth Bank. The result of all the info received was I opened two accounts with the National Bank (www.national.com.au) Seems an excellent bank from the staff I have encountered thus far.

We opened a Smart Saver account $3 per month, with unlimited EFTPOS and ATM transactions, which suits us perfectly.

We also linked it to an I Saver account (5.45% interest calculated daily) The good thing about this account is it has no minimum balance required to get your 5.45% so we simply keep all our dosh in there, then transfer it via the net to the other account if we know we need some money for anything.

$3 a month for everything we need from a bank, at the Commonwealth we were paying around $20 a month and had to keep a balance of over $5000 to earn the higher rate of interest in our second account. It was an easy choice to make.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I bank with the Commonwealth and it only costs me $4 per month for unlimited transactions. The only thing I have to pay for on top of this is if I write a cheque, but as that is extremely infrequently it is not a problem. If I had wanted unlimited cheques in the deal too it would cost me $6 per month. My 11 year old daughter has opened an account at the Commonwealth too and they were brilliant in their dealings with her, actually treat her as a person and not an inconvenience which is what we experienced in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.