Which Bank?

Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:26 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Bank?

We now bank with St.George their service is second to none
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:33 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

ING linked to HSBC online banking: no charges and both pay interest. Search.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
We now bank with St.George their service is second to none
We're thinking of switching to St George from Commonwealth for these reasons:
a) Better service
b) Even though the monthly fee $6 ($1 more than Commonwealth) it is unlimited transactions
c) Because St George isn't as well represented here in QLD, they allow you use the atms of the other 4 major banks free of charge.
d) They will give us a VISA Debit card - we're credit card free and want stay that way!

However, I've gotta say Suncorp were pretty close.

Obviously this is my situ in queensland.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:41 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
We're thinking of switching to St George from Commonwealth for these reasons:
a) Better service
b) Even though the monthly fee $6 ($1 more than Commonwealth) it is unlimited transactions
c) Because St George isn't as well represented here in QLD, they allow you use the atms of the other 4 major banks free of charge.
d) They will give us a VISA Debit card - we're credit card free and want stay that way!

However, I've gotta say Suncorp were pretty close.

Obviously this is my situ in queensland.
Wow - free ATMs usage thats good - I cant thikn Ive ever used a boq atm Im never in the discipline of looking ;-)
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:44 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by killamarsh
I spoke to Commonwealth Bank in London and they stated I could open a account here and deposit money from here when I wanted which is ideal for the transfer of funds from a house sale. I found their number on the internet. I don't think any of the other banks can do this as they don't have any customer facing branches.

Obviouly you have to go into a branch once you get to Oz, but I don't feel very comfortable transfering a large amount of money from a house sale to a acount that dosent exist or thorugh some company that may not be based in OZ.

Commonwealth were excellent in this respect. Had no issues with them, and they were very helpful and professional throughout. We'll be staying with them.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 6:17 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by killamarsh
I spoke to Commonwealth Bank in London and they stated I could open a account here and deposit money from here when I wanted which is ideal for the transfer of funds from a house sale. I found their number on the internet. I don't think any of the other banks can do this as they don't have any customer facing branches.
You can do the same with:

ANZ - http://www.anz.com/aus/promo/internresaccount/
&
Westpac - http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...g+to+Australia

and those both do $5 per month unlimited transactions accounts.

And maybe others...

Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
If you are opening an account to transfer money - then this is not a good thing to do. You are better off using a foreign exchange broker HIFX (www.hifx.com) or www.tranzfers.com are two. Tranzfers are more friendly and have had better feedback on here + other sites - if you do register use my referral id if you like so i get more brownie points http://www.tranzfers.com/refer.asp?r=ijcollins

Do Not exhange your money at post office / via your bank - they will really cream money off you cmpared to the deal you get at HIFX or Tranzfers.

Finally - Read the insiders guide to foreign exchange article on BE under articles, written by the chap who runs Ozforex/Tranzfers - its pretty impartial and good advice contained therein.
What if Transferz goes bust while your money is being transferred?
I recall reading something similar to this happening to someone.
Surely a large bank corporation is less likely to goes bust.

TC
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:18 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
What if Transferz goes bust while your money is being transferred?
I recall reading something similar to this happening to someone.
Surely a large bank corporation is less likely to goes bust.

TC
Hee hee - good one. They are regulated by Australian FS Authority (ASIC) that they have to have XM$ of capital reserves etc (just like a bank). The funds that you send them arent allowed to be used for their own business...

Ive never heard of anyone losing money that way - but to be frank I didnt really look !. Check out tranzfers website - and the 'about us' section then read the ASIC piece. They are regulated so pretty safe I'd say but you need to assure yourself.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 1:13 pm
SuzieB

blowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sean trethewey
Can you open a bank account in Australia before you get there to transfer funds and access cash.
Hi Sean,

I'm a fellow Plymothian - nice to see people from my home town on here!
I opened an account with Commonwealth Bank Migrant Banking division in London - they have a v good internet site and its been v v straightforward. When i got here, walked into the bank here and they had my debit card all ready for me. Has been totally hassle free.
Good luck! when do you arrive?

Suzie B