which bank

Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:16 am
kerrie/wayne

Question which bank

help !!!!!!!!!!!! which bank has anyone got any info good and bad on the commonwealth bank and westpac .........not sure which one to use

Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:34 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which bank

Originally Posted by kerrie/wayne
help !!!!!!!!!!!! which bank has anyone got any info good and bad on the commonwealth bank and westpac .........not sure which one to use
Consider National. If you have $3000 balance in the account then its unlimited transactions and no fees. National were great opening the account, loads of branches and excellent internet banking and telephone support. Closed my commonwealth account now since tired of paying those charges.

Not sure about Westpac as never used them.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:05 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Commonwealth, steer well clear.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of us have ING and HSBC accounts.

ING pay around 5% on their online accounts for instant access deposits; these are linked to another account (eg. HSBC) for withdrawals. Transfers happen overnight.

HSBC online banking doesn't have any charges normally, and they also pay around 5% on their online account if you keep over $2k in it, otherwise it's next to nothing. You get cash out from ATMs or cashback when you get the groceries; you never really need to visit a branch which is as well as they don't have many! But that's really no problem.

Think UK banking in the sixties and you'll have a good idea of what it's like: the new players are beginning to shake 'em up but it will be a long, drawn-out fight!
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:57 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Couldn't open HSBC from UK unless already a member of HSBC in UK so forced to go with Commonwealth initially but have now closed for the reason already given they charge for everything even the pleasure of having the account which is 5$ a month and they put limits on all sorts ie. 3 free ATM's per month then charge.

Should go back to paying us all cash and stuffing it in the mattress.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 11:03 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

ANZ. Opened the account from the UK by printing forms from their web site and posting them. Whole thing took about three weeks, which aint bad considering it would have taken two weeks in transit

Been very helpful to us since then, always making staff available if we've had a query. And for $5 a month, unlimited EFTPOS and ATM withdrawals from ANZ machines.

Couldn't fault them.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

We opened a Westpac account in the UK and have had a really good service in all respects from them here in Qld.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough

Rog

Are both bank accounts opened in Oz or in the UK?
I have checked the net and both have web sites in Oz and UK.

Thanks

Cam

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
A lot of us have ING and HSBC accounts.

ING pay around 5% on their online accounts for instant access deposits; these are linked to another account (eg. HSBC) for withdrawals. Transfers happen overnight.

HSBC online banking doesn't have any charges normally, and they also pay around 5% on their online account if you keep over $2k in it, otherwise it's next to nothing. You get cash out from ATMs or cashback when you get the groceries; you never really need to visit a branch which is as well as they don't have many! But that's really no problem.

Think UK banking in the sixties and you'll have a good idea of what it's like: the new players are beginning to shake 'em up but it will be a long, drawn-out fight!
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:17 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cammym
Rog

Are both bank accounts opened in Oz or in the UK?
I have checked the net and both have web sites in Oz and UK.

Thanks

Cam

HSBC.

I used to work for NAB, and they were great employers, but an utterly customer screwing bank.

Hence I use HSBC. Great for everything.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

sue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by A dogs life
HSBC.

I used to work for NAB, and they were great employers, but an utterly customer screwing bank.

Hence I use HSBC. Great for everything.

Hi everyone

could someone please enlighten me on this subject of banking

last year i went to expo aus and spoke to a commenwealth bank promoter she said when you initially transfer money you get a better rate (think its called a commercial rate) because you are emigrating do all banks do this.

our visa papers are in at the mo so need to start looking at banks for best rate I am with the halifax is there a best one to go to as there seem to be so many though by what i have heard i will avoid the commonwealth bank

many thanks

sue
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:58 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue and mick
Hi everyone

could someone please enlighten me on this subject of banking

last year i went to expo aus and spoke to a commenwealth bank promoter she said when you initially transfer money you get a better rate (think its called a commercial rate) because you are emigrating do all banks do this.

our visa papers are in at the mo so need to start looking at banks for best rate I am with the halifax is there a best one to go to as there seem to be so many though by what i have heard i will avoid the commonwealth bank

many thanks

sue
You can use HIFX to actually transfer the money and probably get a better rate still
Old Nov 12th 2005, 2:16 pm
When?? We ask ourselves!!

andy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really nice

Originally Posted by wmoore
ANZ. Opened the account from the UK by printing forms from their web site and posting them. Whole thing took about three weeks, which aint bad considering it would have taken two weeks in transit

Been very helpful to us since then, always making staff available if we've had a query. And for $5 a month, unlimited EFTPOS and ATM withdrawals from ANZ machines.

Couldn't fault them.
Can you open a ANZ account from the UK even if you do not have an Australian address?

Jayne
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:31 pm

HSBC won't let you open in UK unless you are already a member of their UK bank.

Commonwealth gave crap exchange rate constantly changing to do with how much money you have then they would send you email saying rate is what ever then when you rang to change tell you something completely different.

You could try Moneycorp you can open ready to transfer in UK and get better service I think from people who have used them but I didn't much to my regret.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=annqldau]HSBC won't let you open in UK unless you are already a member of their UK bank.

QUOTE]

Not sure if that's right - we've opened an HSBC account in Aus and don't have one here (although I do have a First Direct account). Did you speak to an HSBC Branch or to their International Banking Section in London? From what I can recall, it doesn't ask anywhere in the Aus HSBC application forms whether you have an HSBC a/c in the UK.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:10 pm

Talking Re: which bank

Anyone can open HSBC once in Aus... just go to bank with usual proof of identity etc. and for best account $2,000 but they may be willing to lower that a little.

Beware normal debit card only gives you 500$ each to take out at machines/checkout per day each if joint.

If you may want more need to ask for visa debit card as well which is free but unlimited with signature.

People in UK can open account to use in Aus from there if they already bank with the bank rest of us have to wait till we get here... .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.