Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Banana's are in town - tra la la la la alaaaaaala

The Banana's are in town - tra la la la la alaaaaaala

Old Jul 19th 2004, 3:05 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default The Banana's are in town - tra la la la la alaaaaaala

Hi guys

Well, we are now on line, not on broadband yet , that's happening in a couple of weeks as hubby won't be here I need the services of a full installation - ooeer.

So far so bloody good, can't quite believe we live here. And before all you poms out there tan me backside for wearing the rosies - we haven't seen a beach yet or done anything remotely touristy.

Everybody has been unbelieveable helpful and can't do enough to help, it's the attitude out here. We've picked up the car, sorted bank accounts, unlocked mobile (very dodgy chinese guy in the back streets of Perth did it for $38 !) now on with Telstra, rented TV, DVD, washing machine, webcam set up, nearest shops sorted, gymnastics class for littlen' yet to ring etc etc.......

Poor Warren it's just like being in ther UK !! We've done a big big food shop today, which included an electric blanket !!(suprisingly cold at night) and it came to $300:69.

Right guys, there are some things here that are negatively different than the UK, but they are the things that if it bothers you, then don't come.

It is all down to attitude, so what if they don't stock your fav brand of beans or the mobile tariffs are out of the ark - who gives a flying f**k.. Things are going to be different and just get on with it.

There really is not that much to worry about out here - littlen' has been a star (admittedly she has got a new bike $78 in KMart). We've had great fun finding the differences. My problem is I have so much to do I don't know where to start SO IT"S TOTAL PANTS about Perth having nothing to do - you make your own fun - boring people are the ones that get bored easily.

Yes, yes ,yes I know that I'm sure I will get homesick at some point, but that's real and important and I will deal with it when it comes, but the trivial stuff, just don't get hung up on it and you'll be fine.

I for one am not going to waste this chance that I longed for, just because my mobile is charged in 30 second chunks. So there.....

See everyone at the meet on Sunday - Simone, Mairi and Swifts I will ring - when I have a spare min

Off to Go Banana's (childs play scheme) on Wednesday !!

Jill and Warren
Perth here and now

Old Jul 19th 2004, 4:18 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya Jill,

You sound like you are all having a ball. Good on ya and keep enjoying the good life.

Big hugs
Sarah
Old Jul 19th 2004, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Banana's are in town - tra la la la la alaaaaaala

Just want to say 'Fair bloody play to you all'! never doubted that you had the right attitude to make Australia your home, just wish you'd sold your home before you left the UK,
keep smiling, keep happy, keep posting,
love and hugs
Rach, Mark and Chanelle xxx
Old Jul 19th 2004, 5:50 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jill & Warren

Good post, you sound as if you're frantically enjoying yourselves!!

Keep doin' what you're doin'

Wishing you all the luck in the world
Old Jul 19th 2004, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Hi guys

- who gives a flying f**k.. Things are going to be different and just get on with it.
Jill and Warren
Hi,

Which airline is this with then?
Old Jul 19th 2004, 6:33 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Perth boring? Not now you guys are in town

Keep us updated!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:06 pm
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi Jill and Warren,

Fab post! Sounds like you guys are having a ball. Have a great time settling in and keep posting!!

Sunchaser
6 weeks, 1 day to go.....
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:58 pm
j&s
Forum Regular

j&s is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jill and Warren,

You were one of the first people to reply to my thread when we first started on this crazy rollercoaster ride :scared: and now YOU ARE OUT THERE!!! So pleased to here all about your first days, they sound very exciting.

You certainly have the right attitude - good luck with everything.

All the best, be in Perth in the new year on hols - we'll be the ones on the beach wearing red (skin that is!).

John & Sue
Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:05 pm
Graceyg

graceyg is an unknown quantity at this point

fair play, you will succeed with that attitude, just live it!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Good for you!!!

You've got me all excited again now, I've been feeling a bit low recently, not about immigrating but about being stalled at every turn.

Enjoy it, see you there soon.

Lindsey
Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:34 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Sooo nice to hear you are getting on fine, You guys have been missed on here.

Realy hope your house in the Uk sells very quick so you can all continue having the fun you are now.

Good luck
Kala
Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:39 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Jill, all I can say is

have fun,
sue
xx
Old Jul 19th 2004, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

You are right about the attitude, and you seem to have heaps of positivity, just what you need to make it work out here.

Good luck to you all, I hope you continue to love it!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 11:44 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Good luck Gone Banana's. Sounds like you are managing to rise over the stress factors and enjoy all those new experiences. That's the way to do it!
Old Jul 20th 2004, 12:53 am
Go Banana's !!

Morning peeps

Thanks for all the lovely replies. Now I've had my soap box rant , will try and pass on helpful hints and tips. However, half the fun is finding out these things for yourselves.

Make sure you get yourselves a phone card to call the UK, we got one in Perth City which works out at an incredible $1:00 per hour!!!!. I've been able to phone my Mum every other night. It has 20 hours of phone time on it for $20, so even if I use one once a month it's diddly squat.

All the Ausies we have encountered so far have been lovely, with some really suprised we want to live here! They don't want to hear how fantastic the UK is though (been warned by a straight talking Aussie rel at a BBQ - who said it like it is - great guy).

Renting washing machine, TV and DVD for $100 per month. Bought a top banana computer, flat screen (at last hubby let me have one) with printer/scanner, webcam, pentium 4, 512 ram (I think) for just under $2,000 - chucked in a mouise mat for the littlen'. We bought it from Abbacus. We didn't shop around too much for this and someone may be able to get one cheaper, but we were happy and he threw in Microsoft Office Professional.

Make sure you bring as much ID as poss. Your pasport and driving license are essential, as most are asked for when you are doing any dealings.

Went out see Shrek 2 last night and ended up coming home with a new dunna and a set of Global knives!! major bargain. All the winter sales are on at the mo and we got a set for a third of the price in the UK. The knives at the rental couldn't cut butter!!!

At the mo, Hubs will be earning UK money and sending it over - so will benefit from that, but we still rarely convert back as we need to get into the habit.

Shopping at this stage is fun for both of us, sure that'll change.....love KMart how sad is that???? I'm a bit of a scutter really, as I love a good rumage. WA Salvage is a hoot, but great for bits. Don't want to buy too much as this is only the rental house.

All in all, although not planned this way. it's working out for the best as we are not eating into our capital - ha, which we haven't got yet anyway, until the bloody house sells. Have some idea what we will do if it doesn't, but my mind doesn't want to go into that dark place

Warren goes back on Sat, but have the webcam up and running so can see his lovely face everyday if I want.

Grayling was right - I look back and think what the hell was I worrying about. Lets see how long this pos. attitude lasts when Woz goes back hey!

Take care guys

Jill

PS be warned it's bit chilly at the mo, so don't throw away all those winter woolies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.