Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:39 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
BTW only 3 more views and we are at the 40,000 mark !!!
Not that you're counting!!
Safe trip Warren.

PS 40,028
Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:11 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Mon 25th October - Grimsby

Well a quick update from this side of the pond.

Went out with my best mate last night, you know the type who you and he would drop anything to do anything for you. It was great to see him as with living nomadically, as Jill and I have done for years, I don't get to see him as much as I would like. Anyway, a few beers and a pig-out was had and we said our au revoirs. I'm not into the big goodbyes as I work on the principle that the worlds a small place and getting smaller.

I can see the day in the next 10-20 years when it only takes 4 hrs to get back to the UK.....just remember you saw it on here first !!

Anyway, enough of the philosophy, I did all those boring jobs today like shutting bank accounts, paying the last of the bills and posting some stuff to Oz that would probably tip me over the weight limit. I then met up with a load of my ex-Birds Eye pals for lunch in the factory canteen. It was just like old times and brought back some happy memories anyway.

Then went to Cleethorpes for my last bag of fish and chips sitting by the pier, thinking to myself that I'd be swapping this with Hilliary's in a few days and I know which one I prefer. Decided to be brave and then walked about 4 miles back to Grimsby and caught the bus home.....I hate not having a car but as you know, that was sold on Saturday.

Almost there now, had the last but one call with Jilly this morning and she and our one-bollocked mutt are doing fine.

One last post from the UK tomorrow and then up up and away.........

Warren

Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:51 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Smile Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

hi there I am new to the site just found it today,I love your messages, me and the other half are going for our medical and x ray tomorrow and are hoping to be in perth this time next year, but I am now wanting to start the real homework,like how to find out about the schools (I have a 7 and 9 yr old) which area of perth etc and just dont know where to start! But you have a warts n all approach and you're in perth so any pointers?? I'd be really grateful......thanks
Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:59 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Warren,

Hope you have a great journey and are soon reunited with the rest of your Bananas. I think you'll get quite a welcome! I'd catch up on your sleep on the plane, you may not get another chance for a while ...

Just two more sleeps!

Christy

Last edited by SunshineGirl; Oct 25th 2004 at 5:00 pm. Reason: crap spelling
Old Oct 25th 2004, 5:01 pm
Go Banana's !!

I'm sure Jill will say her bit but visiting the areas and schools first is probably a good start if you can/or have done.

Then do several searches on here. There are lots and lots of reports from all the schools but no definitive list...perhaps someone should pull one together ? At the end of the day its lots of opinions and what may be good for one family and child may not be good for others.

You also need to decide whether to go State or Private from the onset. Again there are good and bad in both and it isn't always the case "you get what you pay for". Imogen (7) is doing well in her state school but Jill has lined me up to see the private ones when I get over.

Its all a bit daunting of where to live etc. We did alot of research on a fact-finding hol/mission last year and have ended up building near my cousin in a lovely suburb in Northern Perth (Landsdale) Its not everyones cup of tea and we currently have a house in Ballajura until the one we are building is ready next June -the schools is very good there and our new house is only going to be 2 mins walk for the little 'un.

Good luck with your search, just remember to give plenty of time as catchment areas are strict and private schools have mega long waiting lists.

Best wishes, hope this helps.

Warren
Perth on Thursday.....The Banana's will be a Bunch again !

Old Oct 25th 2004, 5:04 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
Warren,

Hope you have a great journey and are soon reunited with the rest of your Bananas. I think you'll get quite a welcome! I'd catch up on your sleep on the plane, you may not get another chance for a while ...

Just two more sleeps!

Christy
Thanks Christy. I hope I'll be given some allowance for the journey !! I can never sleep on flights so am likely to have been awake for one or two hours......its our anniversay on Tuesday as well.

As Jill knows "I am not a performing dog" LOL - a private joke which Jill will understand !!

Thanks for your thoughts

Warren
Getting excited now........

Old Oct 25th 2004, 5:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
As Jill knows "I am not a performing dog" LOL - a private joke which Jill will understand !!
I love that you both share your thoughts and lives with everyone on here but there are some things we just don't need to know ok

Was going to crack a joke about bananas ripening but thought better of it.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 5:31 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I love that you both share your thoughts and lives with everyone on here but there are some things we just don't need to know ok

Was going to crack a joke about bananas ripening but thought better of it.

LOL !!

Warren

Old Oct 25th 2004, 5:35 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Warren,

Update your avatar! It should say 'Grimsby for a little tiny bit over one day ...'

Christy

(God I'm sooooo jealous ...)

Last edited by SunshineGirl; Oct 25th 2004 at 5:35 pm. Reason: Even crappier spelling
Old Oct 25th 2004, 5:59 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
Warren,

Update your avatar! It should say 'Grimsby for a little tiny bit over one day ...'

Christy

(God I'm sooooo jealous ...)

Done !!

Warren

Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

suecroft will become famous soon enoughsuecroft will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Originally Posted by squeezzii
hi there I am new to the site just found it today,I love your messages, me and the other half are going for our medical and x ray tomorrow and are hoping to be in perth this time next year, but I am now wanting to start the real homework,like how to find out about the schools (I have a 7 and 9 yr old) which area of perth etc and just dont know where to start! But you have a warts n all approach and you're in perth so any pointers?? I'd be really grateful......thanks

Hi squeezzii ( I really must get myself a better name )
I'm with you on this one.
We did meds & police checks in June - granted visa on 1st Oct !!!!
Bizarre thing was that I was actually in Perth that week too !! Driving round and round and round with my video camera and map trying to suss areas out for the big move in Feb.
I have take loads of notes and picked up loads of newspapers but it is all a bit of a minefield.
People on this site have been really helpful & I'm now doing the school thing in more detail ( 10 yr old boy)
House wise we will rent and buy land - prices do seem to be shooting up though.
If I can help any way let me know.
Sue
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:55 am
A happy pom in Oz!

johnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura about

Have a safe flight!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:43 am
Go Banana's !!

Weds 26th Oct

Well, I'm all packed not without the hassle of my mum tidying some stuff away and denying all knowledge that it had been moved !

Anyway, I found it and I'm a tadge overweight but we'll see if I can blag it at the airport

Going out to lunch with mum and dad today in half an hour and then will probably spend the rest of the day on here as I haven't got anything else to do.

Had the last chat with Jill and Midge before flying tomorrow. I can't believe its almost here and I'll be there on Thursday, I think Jill has booked me in for the school run on Friday morning already - no rest for the wicked ! I wonder how long I can feign jet lag for.

Warren

Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:48 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

aw.....how lovely to think you will soon be back with your family.....its quite a tear-jerker for all us bystanders y'know!!! Im quite choked just thinking about how you must be feeling.......
hope its a good flight......
lots of luv to you 3,
sue x
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:52 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
aw.....how lovely to think you will soon be back with your family.....its quite a tear-jerker for all us bystanders y'know!!! Im quite choked just thinking about how you must be feeling.......
hope its a good flight......
lots of luv to you 3,
sue x
Thanks Sue, some of you have been stars from both sides of the pond and very supportive. There are too many to mention but you know who you are.

Thanks

Warren
Need Karma for the journey please ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.