Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To baldbutts & all sparkies

To baldbutts & all sparkies

Old Feb 8th 2003, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Colin73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To baldbutts & all sparkies

I`m also a JIB spark looking to get back out there PERMANENTLY !! Just need a little advice from anyone who`s having a problem with getting all their past employers references for the purpose of Skills Assessment. I`ve done a lot of work through agencies(Self employed, then PAYE etc..) whom some are now non existant or have murged, or would`nt have records of me.. I`ve served a full 4 year apprenticeship, completed back in `94, and should be able 2 show 4 or 5 full years work since then. Just want to know do the TRA check with tax records from the UK, as i`m thinking of stretching the truth here & there with the aid of an agency i`ve done a lot of work for.. Baldbutts, if you can leave me your e-mail address i`d be grateful as you sound a man who knows whats what!
Anyone else who can help i would be eternally grateful...Cheers.
Old Feb 8th 2003, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

tmmykatie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To baldbutts & all sparkies

Originally posted by Colin73
I`m also a JIB spark looking to get back out there PERMANENTLY !! Just need a little advice from anyone who`s having a problem with getting all their past employers references for the purpose of Skills Assessment. I`ve done a lot of work through agencies(Self employed, then PAYE etc..) whom some are now non existant or have murged, or would`nt have records of me.. I`ve served a full 4 year apprenticeship, completed back in `94, and should be able 2 show 4 or 5 full years work since then. Just want to know do the TRA check with tax records from the UK, as i`m thinking of stretching the truth here & there with the aid of an agency i`ve done a lot of work for.. Baldbutts, if you can leave me your e-mail address i`d be grateful as you sound a man who knows whats what!
your question was just what we wanted to ask but you have done it for us, we are in a simlar position my husband is a self employed electrician he also served an apprenticeship but that was back in 1990 that company non existant now, we would like to know if they check tax records as we also want to stretch the truth slighty, that doesnt mean he cant do the job but just that when you are self employed its just very hard to prove your trade.
please there must be someone out there who has used a little white lie .
Old Feb 9th 2003, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I`m also a spark and have had my skills mulled ovr by tra.Ithink you would have no problems with what you have got but still try to get things from the agencies.I went back 25 years(bloody hell have I been sparking for that long)it was`nt easy as like yourself had worked for many agencies some not around anymore.Agencies like esca have files going back 13 years but others are not so organised.Get what you can from who you can and do sworn statements for the rest.They seem more interested in your apprenticeship than anything else so go over the top with info on that.I was really surprised at the good response I got from some employers and agencies when they heard what they wanted it for.On one call to an agency for a reference they offered me work which turned out a blinder of a job.Dont despair you will be ok jockney
Old Feb 9th 2003, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

i've been self employed since '87 as an air conditioning/fridge guy

did you see the sa licience board website i posted??

it's taken me 4 months to assemble all the relevent TRA stuff -suppliers customers references etc etc

however i'm using an agency which employes an ex tra board member (electrician) who vets applications to ensure an approval rating

for instance he noted one of my references' had all the right information/dates etc but it wasn't actually dated when written..silly things like that do make a difference

i can give you his email address if you wish to negotiate a fee
he is a really good guy and the agent said he's never submitted an application which hasn't passed...

cheers

richard
Old Feb 9th 2003, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been a spark for 24 yrs. inc. apprenticeship, the agent I used said the more info. you put down the better especially Q.9
I had very little time to compile all this info as I was trying to get it done in the space of a month due to points and age.
The refs. were ok. but make sure they state you were working as an electrician and that the position was full time. If there are a few short breaks where you can't get refs. I don't think it matters too much.

The way I started was by writing a life story of what I had done at work from the start. The more details you put in the better using installation methods safety procedures followed and materials used. This formed Q.9 and took 9 pages.

Terry
Old Feb 11th 2003, 10:27 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

.. Baldbutts, if you can leave me your e-mail address i`d be grateful as you sound a man who knows whats what!

You're right,I am a man who knows whats wot,mind you,you don't wanna know what I know wot about wot (that made sense til I typed it !)
Been a long time since I starting getting me gumpf prepared for TRA (around April 2000) so I'm a little out of touch.My first boss went bankrupt-said something about a young stubbly arsed apprentice burning down properties or sumfink-so I had to prepare a statutory declaration to say I couldn't supply a reference.For the periods where I had quite a lot of employers/agencies,I went to the more friendly ones,& they stretched out the dates I worked for 'em.
As for the tax stuff,I was only a subby,not a bone fide self-employed monkey,so can't help there-but don't think they bother.

I'll bung you my e-mail,but don't hack into my PC,you won't like wot you see

BB-not the best sparky in the world-top 3 though