Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Balance of family

Balance of family

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Balance of family

Originally Posted by esperanza
Re dead people - clearly they are not alive ( ?!) but by their absence they could surely tip a balance of family from one country to another?

Are you advocating that people murder family members just to pass the balance of family test :scared: hmmm now there's a thought
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:53 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Are you advocating that people murder family members just to pass the balance of family test :scared: hmmm now there's a thought
I never did like brother Bill! (maniacal laugh)!
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robkerr
Thank you for your replies I suppose my chances of going to oz are over, I tried going as a skilled worker, i am a refrigeration engineer, but at 55 i am too old. I can only pray my son or other daughter decide to emigrate i've got to get out of this place. I just find it strange that theoretically you can have 3 children,2 in OZ and 1 in the UK and even if you have no contact whatsoever with the 2 in OZ you can be allowed in and yet my wife and I, who are very comfortable with our kids if you can still call them that, have no chance and being too opld at 55 is just rubbing salt in the wound, but thanks anyway.

Have you looked at the parent visa's?
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Sorry was not inferring you'd done anything or were going to do anything wrong, just giving my view of your post.

Not sure how a dead person can be classed as living anywhere? Can't see many trying to claim a dead person as a living relative!!!! Would like an agent to clarify this one as is bizarre that you're saying a dead person can help qualify someone on balance of family, as surely they must also have dead family in country they reside in

Yes even families who have relationship problems have to abide to rules, otherwise lots of people would "claim" not to get along with other family members just to get into Aus, I could do this as I have enough family in Aus so I could "claim" not to get along with my English family

Final thought what happens if they don't get along with dead family member? Are they still included on application
We seem to have moved from a tongue in cheek skit at the BOF rules to a full debate!
The essence to my post was the fact that BOF requirements are un-bendable and do not take into account dis-functional families ie the Black Sheep.
WHY? I cannot find the written reason for the BOF rules.
Is it because of financial support if the Oz resident family are wiped out and Dad needs daily nursing which he has not contributed too in the 3 years he has been in Oz? OK send him back to his UK family? Is this the scenario?
If so the "Black Sheep" for years alienated by the "nice" family members - is not likely to see the light become nice overnight and look after dad.

OK BOF out because dad re-married and by law - not want - now has a step son... who is a convicted killer, serial robber and supports Man City - prove of mental problems! Dad has just added this person to his list of sons and daughters and is in a situation where its a 2 - 1 BOF. The dad is now punished because his nice person new wife - wants to join the nice people in Oz and her derelict son stops everybody getting on building a new life.
Now the Oz authority may have its reasons for there requirements - if there is a Black Sheep in the list, why not simply contract him out and let the majority of nice people get on with there new life...after paying a fortune to do so? All this is within the CPV where two parents will pay about AUS$85000 - which includes a Medicare cover and the fees are designed to compensate for the 25 years of none Medicare payments. AND who need their "child" to act as sponsor with a financial cover.
If the Black Shep want to go to OZ...they also have to qualify and any family sponsor would be in place with the original emigrant family member - so mum and dad are not in that picture!

As for the dead person thing, it was tongue in cheek at the fact that BOF is inflexible, ie if your errant family member disappeared and nobody knows where they are, the BOF ruling is that the "assume" the person resides in country you are in. That person may be dead but nobody knows do they!

Apart from playing devils advocate, I really do fail to understand why one person's failings or the addition by marriage of a son/daughter who's failing prevent "nice" people brave enough in their latter years to sell up, move from a country which has a free medical facility( granted there are questions) to join their loved and supportive family in a new life, in a country that offers much. If that family cannot emigrate because of the BOF rules and their brain surgeon son in Sydney, along with his nuclear physicist wife, return to England...who loses!
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Well I hate to inform you it is a valid question on behalf of my sister.If you like I can give you all the names dates of birth family photo's ,get off your high horse,some people do have large extended families,Mum married 3 times:
Marriage 1. 1boy one girl
Marriage 2.3girls 1 boy
Marriage 3.1 boy
Dad marriage 2.1 step daugther.one set of twins ,boy and girl,1 boy.
Then there is sisters fathers marriage number 2 with step sisters and brothers.
Lorri

Just to see if I can get my head around it can you fill in this list?

Siblings in the UK
Half siblings in the UK
Siblings in Australia
Half siblings in Austrlia
Where do your parents live (including step parents)?
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:46 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Just to see if I can get my head around it can you fill in this list?

Siblings in the UK
Half siblings in the UK
Siblings in Australia
Half siblings in Austrlia
Where do your parents live (including step parents)?

And then you'll get you notepad out!!
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by busterboy
And then you'll get you notepad out!!

It's at the ready
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:51 pm
A rather curious boy

It's at the ready
I'm going to bed now! I'll tune in at morning time and find out the Wendy answers to all problems.

Night, night
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh
We seem to have moved from a tongue in cheek skit at the BOF rules to a full debate!
The essence to my post was the fact that BOF requirements are un-bendable and do not take into account dis-functional families ie the Black Sheep.
Is it because of financial support if the Oz resident family are wiped out and Dad needs daily nursing which he has not contributed too in the 3 years he has been in Oz? OK send him back to his UK family? Is this the scenario?
If so the "Black Sheep" for years alienated by the "nice" family members - is not likely to see the light become nice overnight and look after dad.
The purpose of the BOF is to limit parent migration to cases where there is a clear case for the "family reunion" to take place in Australia or not.

Unfortunately it's not so easy for regulations to make allowance for the "quality" of relationships.

In a particularly compassionate or compelling case - especially where the interests of a vulnerable Australian citizen are concerned - there is always the option of seeking Ministerial discretion under section 351 of the Migration Act.

There is also the option of a carer visa if that's the primary objective of migration.

Seek professional advice from an agent experienced in ministerials if contemplating this option so as not to waste a lot of time and money.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh

OK BOF out because dad re-married and by law - not want - now has a step son... who is a convicted killer, serial robber and supports Man City - prove of mental problems! Dad has just added this person to his list of sons and daughters and is in a situation where its a 2 - 1 BOF. The dad is now punished because his nice person new wife - wants to join the nice people in Oz and her derelict son stops everybody getting on building a new life.
Now the Oz authority may have its reasons for there requirements - if there is a Black Sheep in the list, why not simply contract him out and let the majority of nice people get on with there new life...after paying a fortune to do so? All this is within the CPV where two parents will pay about AUS$85000 - which includes a Medicare cover and the fees are designed to compensate for the 25 years of none Medicare payments. AND who need their "child" to act as sponsor with a financial cover.
If the Black Shep want to go to OZ...they also have to qualify and any family sponsor would be in place with the original emigrant family member - so mum and dad are not in that picture!

As for the dead person thing, it was tongue in cheek at the fact that BOF is inflexible, ie if your errant family member disappeared and nobody knows where they are, the BOF ruling is that the "assume" the person resides in country you are in. That person may be dead but nobody knows do they!

Apart from playing devils advocate, I really do fail to understand why one person's failings or the addition by marriage of a son/daughter who's failing prevent "nice" people brave enough in their latter years to sell up, move from a country which has a free medical facility( granted there are questions) to join their loved and supportive family in a new life, in a country that offers much. If that family cannot emigrate because of the BOF rules and their brain surgeon son in Sydney, along with his nuclear physicist wife, return to England...who loses!

I don't make the rules, but I'd say they're very strict as if not they'd end up being abused. This does not mean I endorse or condem them, as they would not affect my application
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Hey I am not upset,just making it clear that it is a dinkum post,some people think others are having a go at them when they are not,as the daugther of two Yorkshire folk I don't pussyfoot about with it,if I want a dig at someone I would let them know soon enough .
Ok the half sister that wants to move to OZ is in the uk,with her step mum, 2 step and half siblings & 1 full brother.
Her son is in the uk

Her birth mum is in OZ,with 6 half siblings.
I hope the figures are right,there are so many of us,
Cheers Lorri

Last edited by supersonic4; Nov 22nd 2006 at 11:16 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Hey I am not upset,just making it clear that it is a dinkum post,some people think others are having a go at them when they are not,as the daugther of two Yorkshire folk I don't pussyfoot about with it,if I want a dig at someone I would let them know soon enough .
Ok the half sister that wants to move to OZ is in the uk,with her step mum, 2 step and half siblings & 1 full brother.
Her son is in the uk

Her birth mum is in OZ,with 6 half siblings.
I hope the figures are right,there are so many of us,
Cheers Lorri

Looking on the DIMA website, it seems that there isn't a visa that fits. http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/index.htm

Looks like she'd have to be the last remaining relative to go down that route. http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami...er-outside.htm

I may have missed something though, I'm definately no expert.

Could she maybe look at a student visa? Or failing that it would probably be a good idea to speak with an agent, and make sure that if there is a way you get it right first time, it will save loads of time, money and hassle in the long run.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Looking on the DIMA website, it seems that there isn't a visa that fits. http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/index.htm

Looks like she'd have to be the last remaining relative to go down that route. http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami...er-outside.htm

I may have missed something though, I'm definately no expert.

Could she maybe look at a student visa? Or failing that it would probably be a good idea to speak with an agent, and make sure that if there is a way you get it right first time, it will save loads of time, money and hassle in the long run.
Thanks Wendy,was worth a try asking on here.
Cheers Lorri
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kent, United Kingdom, now North West Sydney, Hills district and now Hawkesbury.
MELANIE6 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Balance of Family test is not flexible, sorry.
Got totally confused reading this thread! My mum is hinting about coming to live with us from Uk when her hubby pops his clogs (not Dad) cos we always said she could when we lived in uk. But i have a brother in UK who shes sees occasionally. If hubby pops his clogs do his children still count as living relatives to look after her (she hates them) or could she still come over here as it is 1 on 1 (brother or me) situation?

Please help as she is saving up as we speak and if it's a definite no-no she should know now rather than later.

Cheers
Melanie
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 4:23 am
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MELANIE6
Got totally confused reading this thread! My mum is hinting about coming to live with us from Uk when her hubby pops his clogs (not Dad) cos we always said she could when we lived in uk. But i have a brother in UK who shes sees occasionally. If hubby pops his clogs do his children still count as living relatives to look after her (she hates them) or could she still come over here as it is 1 on 1 (brother or me) situation?

Please help as she is saving up as we speak and if it's a definite no-no she should know now rather than later.

Cheers
Melanie
As a contibutor to your confusion, I can only suggest what others have suggested to me and go here:-http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/103/balance-family.htm

under the table you will see a link to Booklet 3. It contains all the confusion you will ever want...and the full information re the BOF.

Best of Luck......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.