Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowances (again)

Baggage Allowances (again)

Old Oct 17th 2005, 4:02 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Baggage Allowances (again)

This just in - I've just been to the travel agent, and they tell me that the once popular 64kg per person baggage allowance for flying via the USA was changed in September, and now is only 46kg per person like so:

2 Bags to a maximum of 46kg, one of which must not exceed 32kg.

So it does beg the question if it's worth the hasstle of US customs for an extra 6kg over the other airlines migrant allowances.

I recall that somebody posted a breakdown and comparison of the baggage allowances for all of the major Oz bound airlines, but I can't find it in the search engine. Anybody remember who or where it was?

S
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Baggage Allowances (again)

With Singapore airlines you are allowed 40kg as long as you have PERMITTED TO STAY IN AUSTRALIA INDEFINITELY on your visa, you just turn up at the check in desk and show them your visa. We found that Singapore gave the only decent baggage allowance.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
This just in - I've just been to the travel agent, and they tell me that the once popular 64kg per person baggage allowance for flying via the USA was changed in September, and now is only 46kg per person like so:

So it does beg the question if it's worth the hasstle of US customs for an extra 6kg over the other airlines migrant allowances.

I recall that somebody posted a breakdown and comparison of the baggage allowances for all of the major Oz bound airlines, but I can't find it in the search engine. Anybody remember who or where it was?

S
Surely that depends on the airline. We're flying Air NZ and their website still says 2 pieces of up to 32 kg each
http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/trave...in_baggage.htm
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Dickie is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew with Quantas (last month) and because we were new migrants we were allowed 40kg each after showing them our visa. We had 4 cases (which had to be below 80kg combined) and 2 hand luggage.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

S
We have just arrived in Mebourne a few weeks ago with NZ air via LA and the luggage allowance was still 2 pieces at 32KG each. We had some seriously heavy bags and had no problems at all and there were several people emmigrating to NZ from the UK that I spoke to who were using them for just that reason. If you are interested then I would contact them directly to be sure.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:21 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

At Easter when we travelled back to see the family in the UK we went by Malaysian Airlines the allowance was 30Kg (they say 20Kg but you are allowed 30Kg if you ask).
Old Oct 18th 2005, 5:07 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharon_gareth
At Easter when we travelled back to see the family in the UK we went by Malaysian Airlines the allowance was 30Kg (they say 20Kg but you are allowed 30Kg if you ask).

An update - Looks like it's just United Airlines that have moved the goal posts. Still, 46kg is better than 20kg, so I guess I'll still fly with them, just have to leave all the lead from the church roof here...

S
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:35 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

An update - Looks like it's just United Airlines that have moved the goal posts. Still, 46kg is better than 20kg, so I guess I'll still fly with them, just have to leave all the lead from the church roof here...

S
I suppose it all depends on how much / if UA is cheaper than NZ?

Do you have any quotes?

Bye
Mark
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

S
Well I am in despair. I have just stopped packing for tonight, we are going with Cathay and they will only allow 20kg. It is a joke. We are over this and I have only put clothes in yet, stilll have toiletries, towels, underwear and shoes to pack not to mention our suits ready for interviews!

Feel like crying. Shippers come in two days but what is not in the case will disappear for 2 months. We decided to only take boxes not a container. At this rate we will have so many boxes that we could have afforded business which gives a bigger allowance.

My advice is plan who you fly with carefully. We picked Cathay for the stopover. I wish we had chosen Singapore despite already doing that stopover.

Going to drown my sorrow in a glass of wine. 5 days to go!
Tara
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:49 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ali south
Well I am in despair. I have just stopped packing for tonight, we are going with Cathay and they will only allow 20kg. It is a joke. We are over this and I have only put clothes in yet, stilll have toiletries, towels, underwear and shoes to pack not to mention our suits ready for interviews!

Feel like crying. Shippers come in two days but what is not in the case will disappear for 2 months. We decided to only take boxes not a container. At this rate we will have so many boxes that we could have afforded business which gives a bigger allowance.

My advice is plan who you fly with carefully. We picked Cathay for the stopover. I wish we had chosen Singapore despite already doing that stopover.

Tara
Gosh Tara you have my sympathy - that sounds very stressful - i'm gonna send you some karma to se if it makes you feel any better!

We are going with Singapore airlines and I just know that I am even gonna struggle with 40kg - but i'll just have to leave behind all my warm clothes as we are going into an Australian summer anyway in Brisbane - I can buy warmer clothes again next year before Brisbanes winter kicks in!

Could you maybe carry some of your toiletries in a vanity case as hand luggage? Thats what I do - you will just need enough for your stopover - i'm sure you could buy everything else in Australia - good luck with the move - I fly in 13 days now so won't be far behind you!!!

Lynn x
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

thanks Lynn
this is the most stressful thing I have ever done
we are shipping a few loved winter clothes

hand luggage is 7kg, need to leave some room for the shopping in Hong Kong

who needs toiletries anyway!

Tara
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali south

Tara
Don't panic!!! Do what I did -
Get a box, pack the excess into it and take it to Heathrow with you. Then leave it with Excess Baggage- they have an office there - and get them to airfreight it for you. You then collect it this end, probably 2-3 days after you arrive. Its much cheaper than paying the excess to take it on the plane with you.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Get a box, pack the excess into it and take it to Heathrow with you. Then leave it with Excess Baggage- they have an office there - and get them to airfreight it for you. You then collect it this end, probably 2-3 days after you arrive. Its much cheaper than paying the excess to take it on the plane with you.
thank you
x
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:11 pm
addicted members

Bigmo&co is on a distinguished road

Hi Tara,

We did go with Singapore Airlines but no matter what you always have tooooo much in weight for the suitcases, dint worry things will work out believe me. One good factor is that the clothes and shoes here are very reasonably priced. The stress of the move makes everything seem worse than it is. Once you arrive here you will look back and think why did we bring ??????? . Good luck on the move.

Elaine
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

SarahJane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hi

I also have the 20kg dilema with Qantas and I leave on Tuesday so can understand how stressful it is trying to pack all into one bag! But I also plan to send a box with excess baggage..by that I presume you mean the company who also do shipping? I agree much much cheaper than using the airlines cargo...it was literally half the price per kg!! Did you have to clear it through quarantine/customs at the airport yourself though?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.