Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowances!!

Baggage Allowances!!

Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Baggage Allowances!!

Hi

we are looking to fly out early June 2005. Did a search for flights and cheapest where Cathay Pacific so thought better contact them.

They informed me that I would need to fax a copy of my visa as stamped in my passport to 0208 7415477 - they are also now offering a new migrant fair £530 plus taxes which is still dearer than the one I found £671 all in for two peeps.

Baggage allowance is 40kg per person - So will be faxing them in the near future and hope to have written confirmation but will be sticking to the fair that I found independently of them.

all the best

atticus
Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:52 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Atticus
Hi

we are looking to fly out early June 2005. Did a search for flights and cheapest where Cathay Pacific so thought better contact them.

They informed me that I would need to fax a copy of my visa as stamped in my passport to 0208 7415477 - they are also now offering a new migrant fair £530 plus taxes which is still dearer than the one I found £671 all in for two peeps.

Baggage allowance is 40kg per person - So will be faxing them in the near future and hope to have written confirmation but will be sticking to the fair that I found independently of them.

all the best

atticus

Needless to say Quantas have not come back to me, some 3 weeks after my email concerning baggage.
so tomorrow im going to call them in the uk and try and speak 2 someone senior about getting our baggage allowance upgraded

this is a nitemare !

S
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
Needless to say Quantas have not come back to me, some 3 weeks after my email concerning baggage.
so tomorrow im going to call them in the uk and try and speak 2 someone senior about getting our baggage allowance upgraded

this is a nitemare !

S
Qantas policy - certainly till last year - was that you only get the extra baggage with them if you book their special "Migration fare"....at the time I came out, that addedd about £250 to the ticket price !! I flew Cathay instead!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

after several frustating emails to emirates (bloody standard response...) i made my travel agent ring them regarding the extra allowance.
they werent very helpfull to him either, but after some questioning they admitted they gave certain passengers extra allowance and after even more questioning they told him that the extra allowance was only given to 'certain ethnic group' - turned out to be that they only issue extra baggage to people with an arabic passport!!! f&%*ing ridiculous.....

so, no extra baggage for me....
Old Nov 4th 2004, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sunny side up
after several frustating emails to emirates (bloody standard response...) i made my travel agent ring them regarding the extra allowance.
they werent very helpfull to him either, but after some questioning they admitted they gave certain passengers extra allowance and after even more questioning they told him that the extra allowance was only given to 'certain ethnic group' - turned out to be that they only issue extra baggage to people with an arabic passport!!! f&%*ing ridiculous.....

Hmmmmm, nice policy.
What's that for, suicide bombers on holiday?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

Hmmmmm, nice policy.

even if thats the reason - still bloody ridiculous - if they're SUICIDE bombers they wont need any luggage beside their bombs, do they (or would they dress the different body parts in clean clothes afterwards.... )
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

even if thats the reason - still bloody ridiculous - if they're SUICIDE bombers they wont need any luggage beside their bombs, do they (or would they dress the different body parts in clean clothes afterwards.... )
I wouldn't go anywhere without a decent (short) book and my mp3 player ... suicide or not
Old Nov 5th 2004, 12:45 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmm, nice policy.

In my experience of Emirates, thats just typical.....if you are Arabic, no problem, get whatever you ask for...if you are white "Pshaw" ot whatever it was their Customer Service bloke spat at me in Dubai! As a whoe woman travelling alone you come at the VERY bottom of the pecking order - with service to match.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

That is not the experience with Emirates that I have had. I phoned them up and they said they were happy to double our allowance to 40kgs as we were on a one way flight. They said that we would need to forward to them a copy of our visas before we fly though. I posted photocopies of our visas and passports to the person they gave me and a few days later I had an email confirming the double allowance and said it would show up on the computer. I will however take the email as proof when we go to the airport.

If you send me a PM I can give you the name and address of the person to whom you need to forward a photocopy of your visa.

I have always found emirates to be good and have never so much as seen an incking of them giving preference to certain ethnic groups
Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:00 am
Home and Happy

It appears from when we've discussed them here before that emirates are either fab or ***p! Don't get Bundy on the subject, please! Worse than me!! I was very unluck, had a lousy flight, with a knackered aircraft halfway, and the service was appalling both in the air and at Dubai (10 hours break-down stop!) At one point the cabin crew moved through the plane serving all the men first........! I kid you not, and my drinks were almost thrown at me - with a lecture from the bloke next to me on how evil white women were with vices like drinking!!!!
Funniest bit though was at Heathrow, waching the ground staff arguing with two arabic guys who had two tvs, and three computers, in boxes, which they had got past the check-in staff and were trying to take on board as carry-on hand luggage....!