Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowances!!

Baggage Allowances!!

Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Baggage Allowances!!

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Hi Paula

Just did a search for you - research you understand

This might help but doesn't look too promising for you
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...gage+allowance

Then I found this:

"Malaysian dont give you double baggage allowance, the only ones who dont for migrants"

which is even less help to you, sorry - why am I apologising - it's not my fault

Hi Moneypenny

Are you saying i'm stupid (don't have to tell me, i already know!!!!!!!!)

Bloody typical, the only airline to have 20k baggage allowance, & it's the one we are flying with, do you think it would still be worth asking/begging with them to reconsider????
Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paula
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paula 1
Hi Moneypenny

Are you saying i'm stupid (don't have to tell me, i already know!!!!!!!!)

Bloody typical, the only airline to have 20k baggage allowance, & it's the one we are flying with, do you think it would still be worth asking/begging with them to reconsider????
Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paula
Never said you were stupid No harm in begging you can only lose your dignity
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

finsbury will become famous soon enough

Hi

We're flying the long way round - Heathrow - LA - Auckland - Brisbane - with Air New Zealand to catch up with relatives in California. Longer flight, 27.5 hours total flying time but much better baggage allowance. Per person is 64kg (2 x 32) for check-in and 20 kg for hand luggage. Between us that's 168kgs. God forbid we would ever use that much but it's useful to have spare capacity.

Air New Zealand also have the largest spacing between seats in economy but their in-flight entertainment isn't the greatest.

So from what I have read, and as a general rule, go east, if you want speed, the best available in-flight entertainment and you're not too fussed about baggage allowance. Go west, if you don't mind the longer flight, want greater leg room, more baggage allowance and you're not too fussed about in-flight entertainment.

Air New Zealand are upgrading their fleet next summer so the same level of in-flight entertainment will eventually be available.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably you are up to speed with visas/waivers when passing through LA?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=Air+Zealand
Old Oct 21st 2004, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

finsbury will become famous soon enough

Yeah all sorted but can't say that I'm particulary looking forward to be finger printed etc. But I guess that's just going to be part and parcel of international travel to the States from here on in. It was interesting what people said about travelling west through LA. Like I said, we're going to catch up with relatives so we would have been going that way anyway but I'll let people know what it's like to travel through LA, with the new changes, when I'm at the other side. As for delays at immigration etc., again I just think that it's part of travel these days so I'm not too fussed. But appreciate that not everyone would see it that way.

Presumably you are up to speed with visas/waivers when passing through LA?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=Air+Zealand
Old Oct 30th 2004, 2:58 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Bit of an update on this one as it is very important and unclear.

We took our allowance 40kg for other half and kids (only 25kg for me, aussie you see) No drama at Heathrow, however after one week stopover in Singaporen check in insisted that we were limited to 25kg each!!!!
Lengthy discussion ensued and local airline manager authorised our baggage.

It transpires that there are two ticket tiers economy and economy migrating (more money so more baggage)

No one at UK travel companies etc has a clue, so be warned and get it in writing

Paul J
Old Oct 30th 2004, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Swifts
Make sure your email states the same baggage allowance on from your stopover in Singapore too as we had no problem at Heathrow, couldn't have been more helpful, our problem was with the check in at Singapore after our break, firstly they said we couldn't have 40kgs then they said our baggage was heavier than that.......bearing in mind we hadn't unpacked anything apart from stopover bag and put nothing extra in.......I argued the point and we had to shift some to hand luggage which was a joke as we carried a large cuddly tigger....and I mean large!!! (leaving present for Oliver from some kind relative - G's Dad - lol - not!!!) onto the plane to everyone's amusement .......anyway point is if they try the same after stopover, just explain that at Heathrow scales were ok and stick to your guns, otherwise you could get a hefty bill.

Hi we also used Singapore Airlines and the weight of our luggage increased by approx 20kg as if by magic in Singapore!!! Since leaving Heathrow we had had to buy a new bag as one had broken and also bought a couple of toys for our son, no way did this weigh 20kg. Also interestingly enough were on holiday in Italy with family just before we emigrated and a bag that according to Ryan Air wieghed 26kg, according to Singapore Airlines at Heathrow wighed 18kg - interesting callibration from some airlines methinks!
Susan
Old Oct 30th 2004, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

hi all,

anyone out there with any experience in baggage allowances with emirates?
i'm flying businessclass and get 30 kgs anyway, but emailed them to see if they issued extra for migrants and got a stupid automatic response "in businessclass you are allowed 30 kgs'...not very helpfull, might give them a ring next week.

has anyone managed to get extra with emirates?

thanks, tan
Old Oct 30th 2004, 5:04 pm
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sunny side up
hi all,

anyone out there with any experience in baggage allowances with emirates?
i'm flying businessclass and get 30 kgs anyway, but emailed them to see if they issued extra for migrants and got a stupid automatic response "in businessclass you are allowed 30 kgs'...not very helpfull, might give them a ring next week.

has anyone managed to get extra with emirates?

thanks, tan
I am going with Emirates and have been told we get 30kg each (10kg extra) when emigrating.

Rob
Old Oct 30th 2004, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

cheers rob,

will def. give them a ring next week then - im trying to communicate with their german office (im flying from dusseldorf) and all you get is that great german service - i'm not being biased or anything, deal a lot with germans at work and have to say that they're never very flexible.

will put on my sweetest voice....

tanja
Old Oct 31st 2004, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

I am getting a spouse visa. Hubby hasn't lived in Aus since he was little, and he ain't no more! Girls have dual nationality but have never been to Aus. We will be getting one way tickets. Is it only me that can have the double baggage allowance or all of us?

Nope! Unless you have a migrating class visa oin your passport you can't get it. Sorry! I'm in the same boat and it stinks!
Old Oct 31st 2004, 10:20 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

I am getting a spouse visa. Hubby hasn't lived in Aus since he was little, and he ain't no more! Girls have dual nationality but have never been to Aus. We will be getting one way tickets. Is it only me that can have the double baggage allowance or all of us?
Afraid to say that it will be only you that gets the allowance if you go with the right airline.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tbeb
I am going with Emirates and have been told we get 30kg each (10kg extra) when emigrating.

Rob
We got 50kg each with Emirates, but we flew from Istanbul.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 9:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Ushas
Nope! Unless you have a migrating class visa oin your passport you can't get it. Sorry! I'm in the same boat and it stinks!

That's a sod, but I guess we have had a relatively easy visa application process unlike the others, so I'll let them have the extra
Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:23 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by itsasecret
Yes please, i will PM you so you can email.
Thanks.
Yes Please USher

Would love an email, i don't know how to PM so can you PM me and i will send you my email address

We fly on the 17th and could do with an email like that

THANKS

KAte

Last edited by katyjoy; Nov 1st 2004 at 2:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.