Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance and stopover

Baggage allowance and stopover

Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:15 am
MDA
Forum Regular

MDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the rough
Default Baggage allowance and stopover

Hi all

Sorry to post a thread for this. I do know that the answer can be found on the site somewhere but the search facility is not working.

I am looking at booking one way flights in September to Perth. I have spoken to several travel agents who have all told me different things.

One said "you can get double baggage allowance with Emirates but not Singapore"

Another said "you can get double baggage allowance with Singapore or Qantas but not Emirates".

All said that you cannot have a stopover and get the double baggage. Not sure which of the above is correct.

Ideally we would like to fly via Singapore and have a stopover there for 1 night. If we can do this and have the double baggage allowance then that would be great, if not we will fly straight though.

Could anyone confirm that Singapore do the double allowance and whether or not we can have a stopover.

Many thanks

Mandy
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Stuey26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baggage allowance and stopover

We are off to Melbourne end of August and we couldn't find any double baggage with stop over offers all stated no stop overs. We ultimately booked trough IOM flying qantas got double baggage for about 500 each no stop over.

Other option is to fly via US which still use piece allowance so most flights you can get 2 x23kg bags.

Hope this of help

Stuey
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MDA
Hi all

Sorry to post a thread for this. I do know that the answer can be found on the site somewhere but the search facility is not working.

I am looking at booking one way flights in September to Perth. I have spoken to several travel agents who have all told me different things.

One said "you can get double baggage allowance with Emirates but not Singapore"

Another said "you can get double baggage allowance with Singapore or Qantas but not Emirates".

All said that you cannot have a stopover and get the double baggage. Not sure which of the above is correct.

Ideally we would like to fly via Singapore and have a stopover there for 1 night. If we can do this and have the double baggage allowance then that would be great, if not we will fly straight though.

Could anyone confirm that Singapore do the double allowance and whether or not we can have a stopover.

Many thanks

Mandy
Hi I've read of people getting double allowance with all 3 of these airlines when it's been pre-arranged/agreed with the airline. I think they normally like to see a copy of your visa.
They will only permit double allowance though if you have not already validated your visa's... which for my family when we go is a pain as we validated last year so now will only have the standard luggage allowance when we finally go.
Cant help with the question about whether it still applies if you're having a stop-over - you're probably best to speak direct with the actual airlines rather than a travel agent...
Good luck
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

We have just booked flights vis USA to perth and havr been advised that you get 2 x 23kg per person even on stopovers, with Qantas

Regards

Mick
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:10 pm
MDA
Forum Regular

MDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the roughMDA is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your replies.

I haven't thought of going via the USA.

What route are you going?
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

zoomerang is an unknown quantity at this point

I am flying to Sydney later this year via Seattle, then flying San Francisco to Sydney.....
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Originally Posted by mickagnew
We have just booked flights vis USA to perth and havr been advised that you get 2 x 23kg per person even on stopovers, with Qantas

Regards

Mick
Mick - can you tell me what you paid and what route you took......just interested as we live on a small Caribbean Island and will HAVE to fly via the USA. And I need to start doing some budgetting....
Also going to Perth...

Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

rachie999 has a spectacular aura aboutrachie999 has a spectacular aura aboutrachie999 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Ya

We are flying one way with Singapore Airlines in August this year and we are having a 3 day stopover in Singapore and we have got 40kg each (double baggage allowance). We had to provide photocopies of our visas to the travel agent.

As someone above already mentioned, It is only if you have not validated your visa.

Singapore do a stopover programme which include free transfers to and from the airport, free entry in to Singapore Night Zoo and free shuttle bus around Singapore. You can find all this out on their webpage for Singapore Airlines stopover programme. Have flown with them before and they are brilliant

any queries just pm me

Good luck
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough

Hi
just booked ours one way with emirates for 1st sept last night. We joined movingplanet.com which one of the shippers recommended and they allow an extra 10kg per person with emirates if there are no stopovers and it's a one way trip. That means we get 50kgs each!! Oh, bloody hell, that means ALL of her shoes are going on the plane with us!!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:21 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind if flying via the USA with stopovers you have the additional challenge of actually carrying all the luggage. We had 200kg, plus a pram and 2 toddlers! This thread details our baggage-specific adventures -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463889

Buzzy
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Singapore Airlines do as long as you have a visa that allows you to live in Australia permanently and you haven't visited Oz since getting your visa.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:51 pm
MDA
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Baggage allowance and stopover

I have now been told by the travel agents that we CAN have a stopover and still have the double baggage allowance.

I also managed to play one off against the other and get the price down.

I am speaking to them again on Monday and asking them to get me something in writing to confirm that we can have the allowance.

Thanks for all your help.

Mandy
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Hi all

We are going from gatwick, Orlando, LA, Fiji, Christchurch, Brisbane then Perth, also includes final leg to london if we decideto use it.

Round the world tickets cost us 6500 for 4 of us.

Tried 6 different companies and all much the same give or take a couple of hundred quid.

Have fun everyone

Mick