Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance - Cathay Pacific

Baggage allowance - Cathay Pacific

Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

yogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the rough
Default Baggage allowance - Cathay Pacific

Hi, I hope someone can help.

I am about to book my hubby’s flight to Perth, one-way with Cathay Pacific. It is the best value for money ticket available from Heathrow for end of May 2008. Does anyone know if they give the additional baggage allowance for emigration i.e 40kgs? I have read Singapore Airlines and Emirates do, but not read anything about Cathay Pacific.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baggage allowance - Cathay Pacific

Originally Posted by yogita_dabasia

I am about to book my hubby’s flight to Perth, one-way with Cathay Pacific. It is the best value for money ticket available from Heathrow for end of May 2008. Does anyone know if they give the additional baggage allowance for emigration i.e 40kgs? I have read Singapore Airlines and Emirates do, but not read anything about Cathay Pacific.
Cathay stopped about 4-5 years ago.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

yogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the rough

Do you mean they stopped the extra baggage allowance 4-5 years ago?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean they stopped the extra baggage allowance 4-5 years ago?
Yes. Only one you can get the double from now is Singapore, providing you haven't validated already and ideally you should have an email from Sing Air HO confirming you can have the double otherwise the check in staff can and will refuse to let you have it.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, seems like Cathay Pacific maybe out of the option now. But we have validated already, so even if we go with Singapore Airlines, does that mean we can only get the standard allowance now?? I was hoping he would be able to take a bit extra to get by. Me and the kids will follow approx 8-10 weeks after, and shipping will be a further 8-10 weeks after we reach there. So it would be nice to have the extra allowance to get us through the first 2-3 months or so
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, seems like Cathay Pacific maybe out of the option now. But we have validated already, so even if we go with Singapore Airlines, does that mean we can only get the standard allowance now?? I was hoping he would be able to take a bit extra to get by. Me and the kids will follow approx 8-10 weeks after, and shipping will be a further 8-10 weeks after we reach there. So it would be nice to have the extra allowance to get us through the first 2-3 months or so
Some people have got it even though they've validated but it's rare. It may be worth begging the powers that be, but don't expect it to happen.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Well, if it is Singapore Airlines then i shall be prepared to give it a go, no harm in trying, you only get if you ask, so can only try! Thanks for your responses
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand give a big allowance if you are flying the other way round via LA. Its a longer route, so depends how much you want to allowance
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

AberJazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I'm flying out to Sydney in April and I'm flying with Air New Zealand via LA. I'm doing two additional stop-overs and because I'm flying via the USA you then use the "two piece" system for luggage. Basically this means two bags at 23kilos each for every leg of my journey.

OK, the flight is longer, but I get double the luggage allowance and a couple of stops thrown into the deal.

Hope this helps

AberJazz
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Hi
We flew out the end of Jan with Cathay Pacific and they told us we could get double Baggage allowance with their migrants fare but we couldn't have a Stop-over with it.
We chosed to have a stop over.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOONLIGHT
Hi
We flew out the end of Jan with Cathay Pacific and they told us we could get double Baggage allowance with their migrants fare but we couldn't have a Stop-over with it.
We chosed to have a stop over.
Also beware of the cost of the migrants fares - the airlines that do these make the money to cover the extra baggage from the higher cost of the ticket. It may still be worthwhile, but don't expect the migrants fare to be a special cheap deal.