Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the badgers appreciation thread

the badgers appreciation thread

Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:52 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really confused now!
People pretending to be Australian? Come on!

"fuelling a stereotype that is far from typical."
Who cares if it's a stereotype or not. The truth is such types exist. And there are quite a few of them. Where's your prove otherwise?
I lived in country WA for 9 years, there are heaps!
Where do you live(Brisbane I think it was, a city, very different) and how long have you been there?

I'm not saying most Australian men are like that, but there are enough!

"dont wanna start a racial discussion but, where and when did the aboriginals arrive in oz from ?"
About 60000 years ago I believe. I think the main theory is they must've got there by boat, from southeast Asia. Originally, all homo sapiens come from Africa.

Gosh, what's this..... a ute and barefooted kids!
Mmmm, don't see myself as a stereotype by the way!
Attached Thumbnails the badgers appreciation thread-1991_126_nullagine.jpg  
Old Jan 7th 2004, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dugongs
I meant those not pretending to be Australian like some on here and apparently inadvertently fuelling a stereotype that is far from typical.
I'm glad you used the word 'inadvertently,' but I do think that the number of people who have identified with what Badge has been saying suggests that either there are an awful lot of socially disadvantaged people in Australia who are having a pretty good existence and are worldly enough to know some Brits, or that the circles your wife wants to move in are quite limited.

There are many parts of metropolitan Sydney and Melbourne life where the stereotype you describe wouldn't fit. Again, I don't know you or your background, but I hope you have been able to explore more of Australia before you arrive than the impression I'm getting from you and your wife's comments.

If you read Badgers many (many, many, many (!)) posts you'll see that the purchases he's made are slotting him right into a world that he enjoys and is welcome in.

Turn up on Wimbledon Common in a pearly queen outfit and it won't just be the Wombles making you feel unwelcome!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 6:56 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

I'm not arriving anywhere and I have seen all of Australia and lived there for many years so I am "qualifed" to make my observations. I am a Brit however not an aussie.

Fair enough its only banter so do not take it too seriously. If a Brit wants to live the donger lifestyle good luck to him.

Originally posted by CHnJ
I'm glad you used the word 'inadvertently,' but I do think that the number of people who have identified with what Badge has been saying suggests that either there are an awful lot of socially disadvantaged people in Australia who are having a pretty good existence and are worldly enough to know some Brits, or that the circles your wife wants to move in are quite limited.

There are many parts of metropolitan Sydney and Melbourne life where the stereotype you describe wouldn't fit. Again, I don't know you or your background, but I hope you have been able to explore more of Australia before you arrive than the impression I'm getting from you and your wife's comments.

If you read Badgers many (many, many, many (!)) posts you'll see that the purchases he's made are slotting him right into a world that he enjoys and is welcome in.

Turn up on Wimbledon Common in a pearly queen outfit and it won't just be the Wombles making you feel unwelcome!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dugongs
I'm not arriving anywhere and I have seen all of Australia and lived there for many years so I am "qualifed" to make my observations. I am a Brit however not an aussie.

Fair enough its only banter so do not take it too seriously. If a Brit wants to live the donger lifestyle good luck to him.
Cool.

What's a donger by the way? I haven't heard that one before
Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by CHnJ
Cool.

What's a donger by the way? I haven't heard that one before
As far as i know a donger is a man's apendage!
lol
rach
Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:15 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nosuchluck
lol
rach
Well, I don't know what apendage is, but after looking up donger in my Australian Pocket Oxford Dictionary (, from highschool!) I've got an idea!

dong -
1. deep sound as large bell
2. heavy blow
3 (also donger) penis

dugongs - this obviously isn't banter and it actually seems like you're discriminating!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by nosuchluck
lol
rach
I'm just too inncoent : )

PS I wish I'd had a dictionary like Simone's when I was at school!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:21 am
WBB

Originally posted by Simone82
Well, I don't know what apendage is, but after looking up donger in my Australian Pocket Oxford Dictionary (, from highschool!) I've got an idea!

dong -
2. heavy blow
3 (also donger) penis

dugongs - this obviously isn't banter and it actually seems like you're discriminating!

Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:25 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by welshboybilly

I love my dictionary, it's darkblue with the southern cross on it. Brilliant
Not that I look at it very often. (more often dutch-english or english-dutch unfortunetly!) Though, being on this site so much makes my english 'come back', so that's good!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:28 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

dong -
2. heavy blow
3 (also donger) penis

I am sure he meant "drongo" not "donger"...

Anyway I think badger deserves everything he gets...and Friday night dinner should always be a carton of VB. (They are cartons in QLD, cases elsewhere, boxes somewhere else, crates another somewhere)
Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:28 am
WBB

I love my dictionary, it's darkblue with the southern cross on it. Brilliant
Not that I look at it very often. (more often dutch-english or english-dutch unfortunetly!) Though, being on this site so much makes my english 'come back', so that's good!
simone your english is fine, i was'nt laughing at you but the way you put your words made me chuckle.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:32 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by welshboybilly
simone your english is fine, i was'nt laughing at you but the way you put your words made me chuckle.

I did realise that! (I think)
Geez, my English isn't that bad that I didn't understand you
Oh, oops, you were only using smilies anyway.
Ah forget it!

Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:37 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Wasn't this supposed to be a Badge appreciation thread?

Dugongs - you took us seriously OT!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:42 am
WBB

Originally posted by Pollster
Wasn't this supposed to be a Badge appreciation thread?

Dugongs - you took us seriously OT!

yeah back to badgers adoration.

we are not worthy.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

3 (also donger) penis

Simone
apendage is a mans penis (donger) lol
i love the phrases you used earlier to vent your anger!
you go girl
rach x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.