Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

backpaking and hostels

backpaking and hostels

Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

nick25016677 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: backpaking and hostels

yeah i make you right it would be hard work but think of all the interesting stories you would hear and the characters you would meet and hopefully that would rub off on my kids encouraging them to go out and see the world
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:24 am
Just Joined

AussieDreamin is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there is a huge market for decent hostels in Aussie because the standard at the moment is dreadful! I would say Aussie hostel owners should look at their Kiwi cousins to see how its done properly.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nick25016677
when i was travelling many moons ago we always found the cheapest grottiest scariest hostels to stay in,with that in mind would any travellers today like the relative comfort of a nice hostel or would they rather slum it.i am moving to melbourne and would love to open a hostel but i would like to open a nice comfy homely one what do you all think
Hello - I have stayed in heaps over the years and generally I have preferred the YHA's in that they are more predictable - clean, good facilities and located centrally. But it depends on your target market. The "oldies" like me prefer somewhere clean and preferable where there is a chance of getting some sleep but some of the "younger kids" (God don't I sound ancient) want to party all night. The K Club/YHA in Broome strikes a very good balance for all age groups. I have also stayed at Glebe Point YHA in Sydney several times and that is an example of a well run ship - great hostel, well run, fantastic location etc. I have also stayed in some shocking places as a younger backpacker but now I think I would take one look and zip off with my pack! Decide on your target market and take it from there and best of luck!
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:40 am
Just Joined

AussieDreamin is an unknown quantity at this point

If I ran a hostel I would insist on maximum stays of a week or something because I find hostels where people live because they are on WHV very off putting for backpackers who are actually travelling around.

Australia has lots of these hostels which are little more than cheap accommodation for workers and can be very unfriendly.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

nick25016677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AussieDreamin
If I ran a hostel I would insist on maximum stays of a week or something because I find hostels where people live because they are on WHV very off putting for backpackers who are actually travelling around.

Australia has lots of these hostels which are little more than cheap accommodation for workers and can be very unfriendly.
what is whv?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 11:38 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AussieDreamin

Very true , Australia has a huge transient population, these people tend to use back packers hostels , due to the fact that cheap Boarding houses have been put out of business, as Insurance fees for these premises are exorbident.
So they tend to become very sleazy , and unfriendly to non Australians.
The ymca still maintain a good standard here in Adelaide, pretty much else is take it as you like it.............mm
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Lots of places have bed bugs too.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Lots of places have bed bugs too.
Never stayed in a YHA that did.... Have stayed in others that have though, very itchy!