Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back in UK 9 months - random observations...

Back in UK 9 months - random observations...

Old Feb 25th 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in UK 9 months - random observations...

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Originally Posted by bcworld
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I don't think you know what trolled means. When you move back to the UK will you stop posting in the Australian forums?
125 posts in 'Moving Back to the UK' - are you?
Never, it's a sh1t hole.
And that pretty much sums almost every post NedKelly has made in the Moving Back to the UK forums over the last 5+ years.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 11:42 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I would imagine even Inala up here would be an improvement over Bradford.
I mean no offence but my credibility with you is unimportant.

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yeah, that's very true.

I was on a crap wage there, and am on a crap wage here... I know where I am better off though. By better off I mean, have more spare cash, have happier kids and generally have a better standard of living.

But then again, I do come from Bradford... so maybe not so much of a challange...

I will be interested in your views a bit more about 12 months AFTER you have first hand experience of the UK though. ATM, you have as much credibility for me as the 'newbies' to Aus have...
Old Feb 25th 2012, 11:44 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is how you spell hypocrite.

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
And that pretty much sums almost every post NedKelly has made in the Moving Back to the UK forums over the last 5+ years.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Peepster

Electronics - I reckon you're right and they are about the same. What I like about the UK is that you can buy online from places like Boots / Sainsburys/ Tesco and get reward points which can total up to quite a bit. Yes I love the online stores, cheap prices and usually free freight often next day.

Dog poo - yep, there is deffo more here. And litter. I like that dogs can basically be off the lead everywhere here though. It's cool that cats aren't seen as creatures of satan either! I didn't really notice the dog poo but I didn't find the north to have more litter, i spent a day in my wife's hometown, Bath, and was amazed how clean it was. I might post up a photo or 2.

Another observation (not meant as a bad thing by the way, just an observation!) - there are a huge amount of Polish here, and Ukranians. Had a quote for some decoration last week - Polski Pete was half the cost of English Dave. They are like the Primark of the tradie world. It's a funny thing, people seem to notice 'foreign' tradesmen in the UK more than here even though from experience a very large % are immigrants.

More observations - The 'buy one, get one free' offers aren't around as much as what they were. More like buy 2/get the 3rd free. The best deals are on things like handsoaps/shower gels and crisps/biscuits. Groceries can be incredibly cheap in the UK, we were doing a comparison the other day, especially if you use the buy 1get one free or as you say buy 2 get one free. I have noticed that coming in a lot more here with the UK influence in the big 2.

NHS - I recently had a baby and I thought it was fantastic. Couldn't fault it, including the follow-up care. Never had a single issue with the NHS, my care here has been generally very good but with a couple of glaring exceptions.

New kitchens/bathrooms - seem really expensive in Aus compared to UK. Absolutely, the difference is staggering.

I think a telling sign that things are tough - they now have security tags on expensive cuts of meat!! I must admit I have never heard of that, certain areas or supermarkets ?

Over and out for now x
Old Feb 26th 2012, 1:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
A great BBC series that explores the UK's coastline.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mvlc

I think it's being aired over here ATM too but if not it can be viewed on BBC's iPlayer
Unless said 'Coast' is shown being inundated by boatloads of illegal immigrants I doubt it'll pique his interest!
Old Feb 26th 2012, 3:10 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
True, I love that show. Also Doc Martin, that lovely Cornish village.

But then I consider if you actually lived there the locals would hate you and call you an "emmet" and it would be cold and raining for 2/3rds of the year.

I reckon UK would be great if only a couple of million people lived there.
You'd have to go back 500 years for that. The place must have felt empty back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...and#Population
Old Feb 26th 2012, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

today I noticed that the supermarkets are doing that sneaky trick...

Special offer on xxx product.
When special ends the price shoots up.

The one I noticed today was 500gm Anchor. This time last year it was £2.20. Mid year it went up to £2.60.

Today it was £3.05. Huge jumps.*
I have noticed this with bread, yoghurt, fruit juice etc- the staples are rocketing. So this myth that everything here is as cheap as chips is just not true.

(*My daughter won't eat any other as she calls the other brands 'cheese butter' - it is not that I am obsessed with butter)
Old Feb 26th 2012, 8:16 pm
Banned

Wow, I can't imagine being able to remember the price of individual grocery items throughout the year, my hats off to you I don't really recall anyone saying that everything is cheap as chips My research certainly shows a great many grocery times much cheaper over there.
You should do as they all say here and shop around, that butter is only £2.78 in Asda.
Same price at Tesco as well.

Last edited by chris955; Feb 26th 2012 at 8:25 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peepster
Grrr stupid public transport. For a peak day return into Zone 1 from where we are in Esher it is nearly £20!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Going off-peak is not always an option. I can't really compare like for like with Melbourne though as the trams although fab (and cheap!) are only serving a fraction of the commuters and travel much shorter distance.

x

Bloody unreal.... is that fair dinkum about that price ? It's almost like a tax on commuting
Old Feb 26th 2012, 8:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Bloody unreal.... is that fair dinkum about that price ? It's almost like a tax on commuting
Old Feb 26th 2012, 9:01 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

I know Ozzie, it's outrageous!! It's £18 squid for a anytime Zone 1 day travel card. We're outside Zone 6 but still, it's a total rip-off.

The security tages on meat thing - dunno if it's in all areas but we're in poshville and both Waitrose and Sainsbury's are tagging the meat (roasts, steak). But then a nice big piece of beef or lamb costs more than a slab of beers so I guess it's fair enough.

Pomster - it's true, prices are deffo creeping up.

More observations - I see that Matthew Kelly is back on the TV (new series Benidorm). Surely that's wrong. Likewise Michael Barrymore - why is that man still on the loose??

The standard of cooking on the UK Masterchef is better than Aus, but I miss Gary & George.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
today I noticed that the supermarkets are doing that sneaky trick...

Special offer on xxx product.
When special ends the price shoots up.

The one I noticed today was 500gm Anchor. This time last year it was £2.20. Mid year it went up to £2.60.

Today it was £3.05. Huge jumps.*
I have noticed this with bread, yoghurt, fruit juice etc- the staples are rocketing. So this myth that everything here is as cheap as chips is just not true.

(*My daughter won't eat any other as she calls the other brands 'cheese butter' - it is not that I am obsessed with butter)

Yummi's hummus recently went from $6 to $10 overnight in Coles. just saying.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Not defending the prices in London as they are some of the highest transport costs in the world. I would imagine that price is for a one off ticket and a commuter would probably save money having a season ticket.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just checked, a peak daily return from Kyneton to Melbourne is $27 so about 18 pounds. when you take into account the vastly superior transport network in London and the options you would have the extra 2 pounds is not so bad.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 1:35 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by papilon
Just checked, a peak daily return from Kyneton to Melbourne is $27 so about 18 pounds. when you take into account the vastly superior transport network in London and the options you would have the extra 2 pounds is not so bad.
Kyneton to Melbourne=86.2Km
Esher to London=24.14Km

http://www.distance-calculator.co.uk...n_%28uk%29.htm

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...ed=0CC0Q9w8wAA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.