Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back to Sydney after poor Perth

Back to Sydney after poor Perth

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

dyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nice
Default Back to Sydney after poor Perth

hi guys. after getting a 457 visa im now heading back to sydney after a stint in perth. how boring is perth well you can safely say for a single guy 28 years old into sport, very boring.

anyways what is the work situation like in sydney for bricklayers at the moment? and does anyone know what they are being paid at the moment over there?

also im going to be living in the north sydney area, chatswood, the rocks, millers point sort of area what are the rentals like up there and would it be feasable to rent a good place with out blowing alot of money?

any help would be awesome. many thanks.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:16 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Back to Sydney after poor Perth

Most probably a lot less and a lot less work.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

dyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nice

oh i see. i was told that sydney was picking up in the building industry. I take it at the moment it isnt then?

Im coming over to play the rugby season over there in sydneyand then travel onto nz. i was thinking earn some money then travel some more but if there is no work i may have to change plans.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:21 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Well I'm sure theres work. Considering the amount of backpacker tradies from Northern England and Ireland that flood Sydney can't be as good as Perth in terms of work and money as boring as Perth is
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

I supose again its who you know and not what you know. hopefully the rugby club im going to play for have said they have some contacts. i was just wondering how much work was around and how much the rate was for a bricklayer in sydney these days.

i was in sydney 4 years ago and it was very good and work was everywhere. now i know its slowed down a bit but surely it has to pick up sometime soon over there.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:48 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Wages in Sydney are lower and the cost of living is higher. If your bored in Perth what's going to make it different in Sydney? IMO lifes what you make it
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I have been told that Perth and WA are almost the only places in Australia to build double-brick houses - don't know if that's true - so for a bricklayer Perth might be the best place for work. There are other bricklayers on BE, maybe do a search and then pm them?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Getting in with a Rugby club there will increase your chances of getting work 10 fold. You'll have no bother I'm sure.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if you are on a 457 visa, you have an employer to give you work?

Oh and the areas you are looking at are very expensive. Sorry. Chatswood maybe not so, but the others anyway.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Oh and the areas you are looking at are very expensive. Sorry. Chatswood maybe not so, but the others anyway.
Dare I say, but the priorities of a 28 year old single man might be a little different to that of a family of 4.

Live central, spend money and enjoy.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dyson99
also im going to be living in the north sydney area, chatswood, the rocks, millers point sort of area what are the rentals like up there and would it be feasable to rent a good place with out blowing alot of money?
Originally Posted by louie
Originally Posted by Beoz
Dare I say, but the priorities of a 28 year old single man might be a little different to that of a family of 4.

Live central, spend money and enjoy.
I'm sure you are right (I lived in Kirribilli when I was 28) - but I was just replying to his question.....
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

I just spoke to the guys over in sydney and luckily for me there is plenty of work for me when i get there. he has said i can work as soon as i arrive if i wanted to which is ideal.

and yes a 28 year old single guy you know what they get up to!!!! everyone was 28 at one stage in there life.

does anyone know anything about the lindfield or east lindfield area, as i am going to be in an apartment there when i arrive in a months time? and also what is near that area i.e train stations pubs shopping malls etc etc.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:43 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

That's a real family area, so not much nightlife for a partying 28 year old! Not that it's something I would have been aware of, being older with three kids!
There is a station to get into the city, which isn't that far and the closest big shopping area is Chatswood.
The demographic could be changing now as more apartments have been built, so perhaps more younger people are moving in?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't go any further north than Chatswood if I were you. There are lots of new units on the Highway further north (Lindfield/Killara/Turramurra) but it's family central and would be dull as ditch water for you. I lived in Killara so I can say this

Stay as centrally as you can and have a laugh.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:45 am
cdb
Just Joined

cdb is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney is terribly expensive, I rent a 2 bedroom flat in Neutral bay/Mosman and its over 2k a month and not really that nice especially if you are used to the European standard of living.

everything in Sydney is overpriced, If you like beer than expect to pay $12 a schooner in some places, Running a car is expensive too with toll roads everywhere and registration costs high.

Honestly you would be better staying in Perth, I'm 26 and enjoy nightlife but compared to other cities i've lived (Berlin, Poznan, Stockholm) in the Sydney night life is pretty poor. Manly is good though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.