Back Fro Perth

Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:48 pm
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future
Default Re: Back Fro Perth

you havetaken the words out of my mouth , I too want to move for the ame reasons.I live in bournemouth here too house prices are crazy, and crime with young ones is constant, bournemouth is a nice area, but someone was murdered in the next rd last night, in a nice house!!...I am trying to find out what happened.

regards OZ, well I went in feb with my dad left hubby home with 4 kids!....his turn to have them for two weeks!!!!I missed them loads, I knew i would never be able to just move to the other side of the world for a new life with my hubby and 4 kids,with out seeing something of oz i wasnt there too long two days sydney two days adelaide, and 8 days brisbane.......I had to see it,I got stuck in dubai for 6 days 3 of them in the airport, but thats another story!!........crying that i just wanted to get home to my kids.

Luckily my sister is cabin crew for emirates so she got me 90% off a ticket.But the reason i got stuck at the dubai airport was i was on a cheap staff ticket and each time i went to get on the planr i got a sorry its all full!!I hate emirates they are crap

I went to adelaide sydney and brisbane, did the gold coast and sunshine coast.I feel adelaide doesnt have the work as much for tradies.It was lovley but quiet a nice place to retire!>

I likes sydney but it was a bit grubby in places,harbour was nice and opera house I took a trip across the harbour to taronga zoo saw some kangas and koalas!! the beaches were quite busy as its a city,I here manly beach is a bit nicer than bondi, bondi was quite a bit like bournemouth beach!home form home hey!

HOWEVER I think there is lots of work in the gold coast,I adored brisbane, the city is great very clean modern, and the university is nicely done with mozaic tiles, everyone makes an effort here with the roads, the flowers in planters inthe city, the lagoon is fantastic for a day out ..........man made beach in the middle of the city, free use of gas barbacues in the parks...great market sea cat, and so much to do...the list goes on.here you have sunshine coast for peace and rurallife, eumundi was fab really great arty crafty market, vege cafes hippy atmosphere alot of shoppers were from neighbouring noosa.
AND THE GOLD COAST IF YOU GET BORED ONE WEEKEND TAKE THE KIDS TO A WATER PK OR DISNEY PARK, Brisbane is not too far from sydney cairns melbourne or adelaide, what worries me is i came back to uk thinking i fancy perth!!!!!......I guess its typical the place i didnt see !!!

But what puts me off is one it is isolated from the rest of oz.

and I am unsure brisbane or perth, i guess i liked brisbane alot, but the weather is dodgy with the wet and dry , yet perth has the mediteranian climate.if anyone has any advise for us, who have thougrougly checked out brisbane and perth fully, and their view on both it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
Doh....wakey wakey me.

Engage brain before typing.....
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:15 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

Originally Posted by J_IMHOFF
We have just come back from Perth after out second visit, we have obtained our permanent residency two years ago and will not be moving out for another two and a bit years - virtually just before the Visa expires, there are various reasons for this, but we are going out each year to try to decide whether we will settle in Perth or Brisbane - I think the more time you can spend beforehand is invaluable and my initial feelings of Australia have changed from when I first visited the Country.

The following observations are obviously personal ones but I thought it may be helpful for people who have never been to Perth before.

On this visit we stayed in East Perth, off Royal Street and we loved it. My children have grown up and I must say inner city life appeals to me more and more, East Perth is undergoing alot of building - townhouses and apartments ( probably not suitable for people with kids) there are cycle tracks everywhere, the Aussies are exercising and walking and running and basically out and about, Easter Monday we spent on Scarborough beach and it was virtually empty, something which would be unheard of at say Brighton Beach in the U.K. - there is about a 2 mile section of the beach where you can exercise your dogs and it was fantastic to see everyone there chatting and basically being friendly.

All I can say on the shop situation is people who moan about not being able to get Marmite etc need to get a life - yes the clothes shops are different, maybe not the cutting edge of fashion we get in the U.K. but so what ?? we shopped in various Supermarkets, Coles, Woolworths etc and the quality is
good.

My first visit to Perth we stayed in Hilarys Harbour and although nice is very touristy, I personally know that I need to live somewhere where I can go at night for a meal or a drink within walking distance, everything is so spread out and you need you car all the time. It is nothing like the U.K. people who move out and think that it is are in for a shock - The Aussies may speak the same language but the whole way of life is completely different to us - it has to be due to the Geographical differences between the two Countries.

Couple of negatives are that they do drive dreadfully, they do sit in the fast lane and refuse to move and then you have to undertake them, on both occasions we have seen may "Hoons" racing cars around, I think that if they made insurance really high for these kids like in the U.K. it may hep the problem, they drive around in really powerful cars. The houses may be bigger than you are used to in the U.K. but the gardens are virtually non-existent, they build the houses so close to each other and desperate the houses with corrugated iron fences - disgusting in my opinion and when we buy I know we deffo need some space between us and the neighbour, I bet there are many neighbour disputes due to the close proximity of the houses.

My overall view of Perth is this - I currently live about ten miles out of London, I do not feel safe to walk out on the streets at night, the police have to get on the buses when school finishes because of the behaviour of the kids, kids on the streets carry knifes and nobody seems to have any respect for the country or each other, I know many people say the U.K. is fine - well maybe it is where you live but it is far from alright where i live, and I do not live in a crap area, we have a 3 bed semi worth over £300k.

The lifestyle in Perth is what really appeals to me, they look after their city, it is immaculate, We went out at night most nights all over and felt safe, just likeminded people out and about enjoying life, if my kids were young I would have no hesitation taking them out there, kids out surfing, playing in parks it was lovely to see.

We are going to Brisbane next year for six weeks to try and decide where we will go, but the more time I spend out there the more my ideas change each time, I personally would not emigrate to a country which I have never visited, if you want to make your re-location a successful one you need to research as much as possible, stop comparing all the time to the U.K. (which is easier said than done) prepare to be realistic and flexible otherwise it will never work, it is a HUGE thing to do, but if I had to choose between the two countries as to where I want to live my life there is no question - AUSTRALIA

I've not been to Perth but I love Brisbane, hope you like it and decide to stay

I have to say I'm a bit suprised that you mention how close the houses were together and that Aussies try and cramp all the houses together, as I thought it was worse in the UK with trying to cramp the houses. Of all the houses I've lived in Aus, all of them had a garden twice the size of that I've had here in the UK and of what I've seen in the UK.

I don't think everyone drives dreadfully either, I happen to think my Aussie dad is a great driver

Good Luck with finding the right place for you to live
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kristyhans
I've not been to Perth but I love Brisbane, hope you like it and decide to stay

I have to say I'm a bit suprised that you mention how close the houses were together and that Aussies try and cramp all the houses together, as I thought it was worse in the UK with trying to cramp the houses. Of all the houses I've lived in Aus, all of them had a garden twice the size of that I've had here in the UK and of what I've seen in the UK.

I don't think everyone drives dreadfully either, I happen to think my Aussie dad is a great driver

Good Luck with finding the right place for you to live
If you look at some of the new estates though - parts of North Lakes for example, the gardens are very small. I visited friends up near Caloundra on a brand new showcase estate where they were renting and you could look out of the windows straight into the next house, while the back garden was onyly about the size of a good rabbit run! No worse than many UK estates, garden-wise, but no better either.