Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back to Australia....Hopefully...

Back to Australia....Hopefully...

Old Dec 29th 2009, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Wandering Hotelier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back to Australia....Hopefully...

Hello All

Been reading this site for a few weeks now so thought I would sign up.

I lived in Sydney, Australia on a temporary (457?) visa for two years from 1998 - 2000 and always said I would go back there one day. I worked as a Director/General Manager of Operations/Business Integration in a demanding cross functional role (in the call centre industry). I have an MBA and with my overall senior management background am eligible for FCMI although membership not up to date (but that can be fixed I guess!)

I returned to UK in 2000 and after a year or two I took a step back on the career ladder, but have built up a successful career in hospitality and I am now a Regional Revenue Manager for a reputable four star UK based chain..

Alas I fear I may have left my application a little late as I am now 41, and husband is 48 (he is an Environmental, Health and Safety Manager for a large UK based manufacturer/retail stores who have a small warehousing facility in Sydney)

Sis is off to NSW at some point, and we would like to follow and considering all states at the moment, but I expect it is going to be a tougher slog for us. Anyone who has had a similar background would be delighted to hear your migration stories...
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to Australia....Hopefully...

Originally Posted by Wandering Hotelier
Hello All

Been reading this site for a few weeks now so thought I would sign up.

I lived in Sydney, Australia on a temporary (457?) visa for two years from 1998 - 2000 and always said I would go back there one day. I worked as a Director/General Manager of Operations/Business Integration in a demanding cross functional role (in the call centre industry). I have an MBA and with my overall senior management background am eligible for FCMI although membership not up to date (but that can be fixed I guess!)

I returned to UK in 2000 and after a year or two I took a step back on the career ladder, but have built up a successful career in hospitality and I am now a Regional Revenue Manager for a reputable four star UK based chain..

Alas I fear I may have left my application a little late as I am now 41, and husband is 48 (he is an Environmental, Health and Safety Manager for a large UK based manufacturer/retail stores who have a small warehousing facility in Sydney)

Sis is off to NSW at some point, and we would like to follow and considering all states at the moment, but I expect it is going to be a tougher slog for us. Anyone who has had a similar background would be delighted to hear your migration stories...
You'll probably need to find out if you still qualify for another visa. Being 41, you should be ok, just check your skills are still wanted/in demand. I'm sure things have changed bit since 2000. Good luck!
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Wandering Hotelier is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
You'll probably need to find out if you still qualify for another visa. Being 41, you should be ok, just check your skills are still wanted/in demand. I'm sure things have changed bit since 2000. Good luck!
Hi, Yes I have been doing my homework...seems Hotel Manager is only on ACT list and limited at that. Quite like Tassie as well, have visited there before, and I am going to write to the MD of a group there, just speculatively as much as anything to get his opinion on my skills set particularly as they are resort properties and that is my experience. Struggling to find Office Manager on any regional lists, or Business Information Manager/Consultant and I fear General Manager might be a long shot as it relates more to my earlier work experience, less so in the last seven years, although I am still senior in my organisation.

I wished I had acted sooner in many ways, and been the right side of 40, but the timing was not right, particularly as I did not want to leave the UK while my father was alive, he died one year ago, when I was 40.

Stressed with all this!
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

gere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nice

Sorry to hear about the passing of your father.

Did you check DIAC' site http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...sa-options.htm ?

Your age is not a problem, the age limit is 45.

Good luck