Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Babysitters in Oz...

Babysitters in Oz...

Old Nov 19th 2003, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Babysitters in Oz...

I am just in the process of sorting out babysitters for my husbands birthday, a night out with my friend next month, and then my birthday in December. It shouldn't be a problem getting a babysitter for all 3 occasions, but it got me to thinking how on earth we'd ever get a night out wihtout the children if we were in Australia?

We don't go out much, so it isn't that much of a problem, but I do like for us to go out on our own occasionally and I've never left the kids with anyone other than family. I just wanted to know how others got on?

Many thanks

Noodle.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have one family friend that we can leave the kids with occasionally if we have to eg hospital appointments, funerals etc. Other than that, we basically take the kids with us where ever we go. We manage maybe 2 or 3 nights out/year without them.

Ahh the joys of parenthood .
Old Nov 19th 2003, 11:18 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Mrs D - we can count on one hand the nights we have had since being here 20 months. Either we take the kids mostly or do not go.

My children had only been left with family members in the UK. We have made one very good friend through hubbys work and she has babysat for us three times so far. The other time my mother was over and we went to my work do.

The age of my angels - 11 and 13!

I did get information about child care through the kids club after school club my daughter goes to and was recommended sitters who come with checks. Local library is also a place to start to find out about registered childcare once over here.

I agree my children are older, but I am no less worried. Last Saturday we went out for 3 hours out and left the children, numerous phone calls and back by 10.30. I am still feeling guilty even admitting it on here.

Our friend is again babysitting for us for my works do this year and my mum is due over in Feb next year, just in time for our 15 year anniversary.

I do not know the legal age to leave Children alone, so I fear by admitting I left my 13 year old in charge of an 11 yr old I might have been breaking the law.

Hubbys 40th this year is a BBQ House Warming combined - no worries!

Cheers
Old Nov 19th 2003, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I guess our nights will be out with the kids, which shouldn't be so bad as they get older. Mine are 7, 2 and 1.

People have the same problem over here also. A lot of the people where I live have come from other areas and don't have family around, but they do have a babysitting circle where they take turns babysitting for each others kids.

I suppose you just have to make the most of it when family come over!!

Noodle.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 1:06 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by noodle
Thanks for the replies. I guess our nights will be out with the kids, which shouldn't be so bad as they get older. Mine are 7, 2 and 1.

People have the same problem over here also. A lot of the people where I live have come from other areas and don't have family around, but they do have a babysitting circle where they take turns babysitting for each others kids.

I suppose you just have to make the most of it when family come over!!

Noodle.
You will meet people because of the ages of your children, through nursery and schools. Mine are at the age when we came over there was less involvement from mums when they organise things (the kids I mean). And it takes a while for the 'only family' thing to leave you. On the plus side - we also went out in the UK as a family more often than as a couple, and I am enjoying going places with my children here.

When I get an invite here I now speak up - I got into the habit of not mentioning the need for babysitters in the UK, but here I say when invited somewhere - I have the children to think about. The number of times people rejig the invite to include the kids is amazing.

One of things I hear about is people coming to Aus for more quality family time, and this is one area we as a family are enjoying! Mind you our 15th anniversary is looming and I am planning a weekend at Star City, thanks to Mum!

Cheers
Old Nov 19th 2003, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Sandra

One of things I hear about is people coming to Aus for more quality family time, and this is one area we as a family are enjoying! Mind you our 15th anniversary is looming and I am planning a weekend at Star City, thanks to Mum!

Cheers
Yeah, that's why we're hoping to come too, for more quality family time. I hope we'll have lots of fun barbies and meals out together. I'm sure we'll meet people in a similar situation and maybe get the odd night out.

Have a great anniversary,

Noodle.