Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

baby on the way..

baby on the way..

Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:40 am
Just Joined

happyone298 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default baby on the way..

Can anyone out there advise us on how easy/difficult it is to obtain a visa for my new born baby after PR has been granted for me and my partner. We stayed in the UK and intend to move out to Oz after the baby is born. Would I have to have another medical? would it effect our original PR? What conditions/illnesses would effect a new born entering OZ? Any help most welcome..
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:24 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

HI. I've just heard back from my Migration Agent about this. I am just recently pregnant and mentioned it (even though we already have our visa's and are planning on leaving the UK at the end of Jan). This is her response:

Just one thing to watch - you MUST enter Australia before the due date and it is next to impossible to have that changed for anyhting. With a first pregnancy, you don't know what can happen and you may even be unable tofly at certain times. I know that you are looking forward to your holiday before coming to Oz, but just make sure that you are still able to travel!! Don't want you to get stuck in UK till the baby is born because that would mean another application, medicals ets. Too hard basket, believe me. I have had clients caught in this very beatiful trap before!!
Even though I am pregnant I still have to inform the DIMIA about this - I guess they need to get ready for the fact that a child is going to be born there in August.

Edited to add: congratulations by the way! When is the baby due? Is it your first? It's my first so getting use to all the new things - like morning sickness!

Last edited by Vee; Dec 18th 2003 at 9:26 am.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:49 am
Just Joined

happyone298 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vee
HI. I've just heard back from my Migration Agent about this. I am just recently pregnant and mentioned it (even though we already have our visa's and are planning on leaving the UK at the end of Jan). This is her response:

Even though I am pregnant I still have to inform the DIMIA about this - I guess they need to get ready for the fact that a child is going to be born there in August.

Edited to add: congratulations by the way! When is the baby due? Is it your first? It's my first so getting use to all the new things - like morning sickness!

Hi Vee, thanks for the reply but unfortunately I don't have a choice and we have to have the baby in this country... My partner and I have already got our PR but we will have to apply for a separate PR for the baby.. was wondering if that would effect our PR and whether I would need to have another medical..? and what conditions may affect the baby getting a PR visa..
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

congrats.

just did a test today, my birthday, and it was +ve, tho' it was weakly positive so we will test again in a couple of days to doubly make sure, after a year of trying hard to beleive it !

Our agent said we just had to tell him so he'd tell DIMA, our will be born here tho as visa is only just submitted.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:57 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Oh Vicky , you must be made up - the greatest of congrats and best wishes and all that.
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

yes, espcieally on my birthday bestest pressie ever.

good luck to you too.
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by vickymills
congrats.

just did a test today, my birthday, and it was +ve, tho' it was weakly positive so we will test again in a couple of days to doubly make sure, after a year of trying hard to beleive it !

Our agent said we just had to tell him so he'd tell DIMA, our will be born here tho as visa is only just submitted.

Congratulations to you all!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
Congratulations to you all!!!!
Oooh and happy birthday to Vicky!!! You'll have to keep off the stilton now girl!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:24 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by happyone298
Hi Vee, thanks for the reply but unfortunately I don't have a choice and we have to have the baby in this country... My partner and I have already got our PR but we will have to apply for a separate PR for the baby.. was wondering if that would effect our PR and whether I would need to have another medical..? and what conditions may affect the baby getting a PR visa..
I think you may need to. If you re-read the response from my migration agent she said "medicals" would need to be done again, so I presume that means that you would all have to have them done.

Have you checked the DIMIA website? They may have information on there.

Congrats to vickymills as well. Yes, no soft cheese, prawns or pate......great - just as it's xmas I'm denied all my fave foods!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

hate paet, stilton and soft cheese bu love prawns mussles and wine and brandy........
Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:18 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: baby on the way..

Can anyone out there advise us on how easy/difficult it is to obtain a visa for my new born baby after PR has been granted for me and my partner. We stayed in the UK and intend to move out to Oz after the baby is born. Would I have to have another medical? would it effect our original PR? What conditions/illnesses would effect a new born entering OZ? Any help most welcome..

Hi there,

just to let you know that medicals will have to be done for your new baby and an application as well. We were/are in the same position and were advised by our case officer to have the baby in Australia. Our initial entry date is 12 May which is just 2 weeks after the baby is due to be born.....so not enough time for applications, medicals etc.

It was a bit of hassle as it meant that we have had to rush through and sell up a lot sooner than we had hoped. Earlier 'advice' we recieved was that it was no problem but this is only the case before the visa is granted. After that they can't add anyone to the application. So.....just be aware of your initial entry date if circumstances force you to have the baby here.

If you dod decide to go beforehand, then Singapore Airlines are about the bst carrier as they will carry you up until 35 weeks with a doctors note. We're hoping and praying that everything goes smoothly so we get the note. Don't even want to contemplate the possibilities of not getting the all clear.

Sorry, I can't offer any help on what medical conditions in the baby might affect your visas etc. Hope it all works out for you guys.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 11:14 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

The FAQ has a small section devoted to this subject:

http://ptlabs.topcities.com/faq0.html#pcm003

Anyway, your newborn baby will need to do a medical, but not a police check.

You should note that a baby born in Australia to at least one Australian citizen or permanent resident parent automatically receive Australian citizenship by birth. No medicals, no visa applications no fees.

However, if you are a British citizen, you should check whether your baby is entitled to British citizenship if he/she is born overseas. Jeremy who roams the Immigration forum is an expert on British citizenship matters may be able to help.

Peter