Reload this Page >

Baby it's cold inside

Baby it's cold inside

Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

marleintje is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baby it's cold inside

Originally posted by Jacko1
The best we have found is Perth, someone (can't think who) has stated that it is the most compatible climate for human life. Whether that is true who knows. PJ
Perth is a great place, we've been there twice and liked it a lot. The weather was indeed very nice and mild.
For us it's so far away from all our friends and relatives on the eastcoast though.

I know there is no such thing as perfection, you always have to compromise. We have lots of time to decide yet!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:32 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by marleintje
Perth is a great place, we've been there twice and liked it a lot. The weather was indeed very nice and mild.
For us it's so far away from all our friends and relatives on the eastcoast though.

I know there is no such thing as perfection, you always have to compromise. We have lots of time to decide yet!
You are in the exact same situation as we were.....
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by marleintje
So if you could all choose where your house would be, which area has the perfect climate? Somewhere between Brisbane and Sydney? Or between Brisbane and Cairns? Or somewhere else?
I'm asking this because we haven't decided yet where to live but one of our reasons to move is the climate. We are so fed up with cold, dark, wet winters. I don't like the cold. Frost, brrrr.... But I'm not very happy when it's over 30 degrees and very humid either. I don't mind that for a few days though.
We've decided to look into places that come close to having an all year round pleasant climate. We like gardening, hiking, fishing and camping. So hey, wouldn't it be great if it wasn't to hot or cold for that most off the time!
Does this place exist? Or should I remove the pink glasses?

Fact is that we live in Holland and it's been raining non stop for weeks. The longest day was a month ago so days are already getting shorter. No summer in sight though. I forgot what warm sun feels like. We had one attempted camping weekend but went home after one night when everything was soaked.

So anywhere in Australia should be better than that.
Where is the best??
Try Cyprus...
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:34 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
LOL! Have you checked their eyelids aren't actually frozen to their eyes?
LOL! I've just checked that they're still breathing Was easy to tell from the billows of "smoke" coming from their mouths
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:35 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
LOL! I've just checked that they're still breathing Was easy to tell from the billows of "smoke" coming from their mouths

I grew up in the coldest house in Britain. I know the feeling, poor mites. I used to sleep wearing a wooly hat, gloves and scarf.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:37 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by Rosy
Try Cyprus...
Which side of the barbed wire would you recomend
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

LOL at you and your frozen children Hevs!
My Bloke is just confusing - the other night he complained he was cold, went to bed early in a fleece, his shorts, and a t shirt, huddled under a sheet and a doona. When i crawled away from the computer to go to bed he was still complaining.....but he had left the front door and three windows wide open!!!!!!to let the fresh air in......how the heck do I get him to realise that the fresh air is COLD air!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:41 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
I grew up in the coldest house in Britain. I know the feeling, poor mites. I used to sleep wearing a wooly hat, gloves and scarf.
Just a rough guess Bundy, but you didn't spend your childhood in large Victorian vicarages that no-one could afford to heat did you? oh, the memories of drawing patterns in the ice on the INSIDE of the windows!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:42 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pollyana
LOL at you and your frozen children Hevs!
My Bloke is just confusing - the other night he complained he was cold, went to bed early in a fleece, his shorts, and a t shirt, huddled under a sheet and a doona. When i crawled away from the computer to go to bed he was still complaining.....but he had left the front door and three windows wide open!!!!!!to let the fresh air in......how the heck do I get him to realise that the fresh air is COLD air!
The way of all wily wives - warm your feet on his back.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:43 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by Megalania
The way of all wily wives - warm your feet on his back.
I'm off there now

Night all.xxx
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:00 pm
Home and Happy

Went there too - he muttered something unrepeatable on a public forum!
I shall keep my feet to myself or I might be sleeping on the sofa!!!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:24 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Grayling
I will state first of all that the weather in NSW was magnificent all the while we were there. The sky was blue and it got surprisingly warm during the day. The locals were not so happy as it is a drought and reservoir levels are dangerously low. Great for us on holiday though. However droughts need to be taken seriously as it also increases the fire risk as well as having to put up with water restrictions. I also understand that prolonged dry weather can do serios damage to property so it is not all good.

What came as a shock was the difference in temperature once the sun dropped (around 5 PM). It felt FREEZING:scared: .I'm serious.
The first night we arrived in Sydney we went for a walk. We were cold,very cold. We needed jumpers and fleeces and were wishing we had brought woolly hats. It brought tears to our eyes.
Next day we wrapped up to go sightseeing and it turned warm!
Then after dark it got cold again.Forget headline figures about temperatures. It felt cold.

The real problem with the cold is that houses are so poorly heated and badly insulated. My cousin had a gas heater in one room in her house and the whole family use the one room. If you want a big house with space for the kids then you also going to need a few heaters!

In Adelaide it was mostly wet and cold. My son has a log burning stove and reverse air conditioning but we still needed another heater in the bedroom. Most people also have electric blankets and these were in all the motels/hotels we used.

People in the UK may not be able to get their heads round this but it really surprised me. Beautiful days and cold nights.

You will not be having year round BBQs unless you are an eskimo

Why do houses not have central heating? It would make life so much more comfortable.

BTW even on the beautiful sunny days in NSW most people were wearing coats and hats and complaining of the cold!

G
Just cuddle up with a ood woman and you won't feel the cold
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:31 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NedKelly63
Just cuddle up with a ood woman and you won't feel the cold
I did

G
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:34 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Grayling
I did

G
Well, get a bigger one or use two
Old Jul 16th 2004, 11:07 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Just a rough guess Bundy, but you didn't spend your childhood in large Victorian vicarages that no-one could afford to heat did you? oh, the memories of drawing patterns in the ice on the INSIDE of the windows!

Oh yes I remember that well, our cottage had been fitted with metal casement windows at some stage and they didn't fit very well. As a kid I remember icicles hanging down from the sash's in the mornings. I traded my sister her little box bedroom for my large spacious one, she thought she'd got a good deal but I had the chimney breast in the box room and it made a massive difference
We're up in the hills here and we've had some pretty cold nights frost on the truck a couple of mornings but the house has no heater at all. If it's cold I put a sweater on or go to bed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.