Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baby it's cold inside

Baby it's cold inside

Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby it's cold inside

Originally posted by remmie1
We couldn't believe how cold it was when we visited Melbourne last August. Had to buy scarves and gloves! Family back home didn't believe us!

I've had the misfortune of spending 2 winters in Melbourne. Lots of rain, bit of wind, and temps down to maybe 5 C some nights. But its still equivalent to autumn in UK. Daytime temps always got above 10C.

And you are planning to go to Brisbane? No worries then, it only gets down to 8 or 9 degrees some nights, and days are always above 15 or 20 degrees.

I find Melbourne has more extremes, colder winters and hotter summers.

I don't like extremes. I like warm and warmer,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Whinge Whinge Whinge

Where would you rather be in the middle of winter ? The U.K. in damp freezing cold dark dull days etc etc or in Sydney.

For me this question is a no brainer

I think i am begining to understand the Winging Pom tag
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

gwrees is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the weather in the Uk today, well Wales anyway.

I know we had a descent summer last year but surely one every year isnt too much to ask. Then again, if it was 30 or 40 degrees all year most people would go insane and the land would be inhospitable.

I say bring on the Aussie Winters, cant be much worse than our summer at the moment
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by John Howard
The U.K. in damp freezing cold dark dull days etc etc
Thats just summer!!

Imagine how bad winter is!!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:53 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

I'm not winging - just stating a fact we love australia but will have to change the poor consructions details of an old house to cope with the two and a half months of the year when it drops at night to sometimes minus figures (last week the hose pipe froze in the garde) BUT we had lunch on the lawn at 21 degrees
Some reverse cycle ducting air con and a hot water bottle do wonders for the comfort level and most houses in NSW have either a wood burning stove or gas heater in the main room (mostl;y bottled gas)

We went down to lifeline (charity shop) and got two blow heaters for $5 each they have been great to take the choill off when we first go back inside - even in winter you tend to live outside durin g the main part of the day (it is usually warmer than inside then)
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:31 am
Badge

I find Melbourne winter fine. I drove to work today in beautiful sunshine. But we do have overcast days regularly. Better than UK though. It's like Autumn in the UK.

I have never worn more than a t-shirt/rugby top/shirt or 1 thin fleece all winter. No scarfs, no gloves, no hats.

I have the heater on in the house in the evenings, turned it on when Mrs B arrived late April.

Middle of winter here - it is still mid teens regularly in the day. Drops to 5 at night say. If anything it is feeling warmer at night now.

Mrs B suffers INSIDE like many of you, but she comes from stock where she's used to central heating. I never had it in the UK ( I'll say that again, never had it in the UK) so to me Melbourne and Sydney are heaps better than the UK.

Even in the UK I would wear 1 tshirt/shirt plus coat. Just walked briskly or faster when outside. Being fit helps, you have a higher metabolism.

Badge

Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:33 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Jaykay
Grayling

In Melbourne most modern houses have ducted heating. Floor vents in every room....just as good as central heating in the UK.

Only 5 days until we move into our own house......which has ducted heating.....yey

Best thing we did having ducted heating put in never want to go through that cold again.

Jo
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

marleintje is an unknown quantity at this point

So if you could all choose where your house would be, which area has the perfect climate? Somewhere between Brisbane and Sydney? Or between Brisbane and Cairns? Or somewhere else?
I'm asking this because we haven't decided yet where to live but one of our reasons to move is the climate. We are so fed up with cold, dark, wet winters. I don't like the cold. Frost, brrrr.... But I'm not very happy when it's over 30 degrees and very humid either. I don't mind that for a few days though.
We've decided to look into places that come close to having an all year round pleasant climate. We like gardening, hiking, fishing and camping. So hey, wouldn't it be great if it wasn't to hot or cold for that most off the time!
Does this place exist? Or should I remove the pink glasses?

Fact is that we live in Holland and it's been raining non stop for weeks. The longest day was a month ago so days are already getting shorter. No summer in sight though. I forgot what warm sun feels like. We had one attempted camping weekend but went home after one night when everything was soaked.

So anywhere in Australia should be better than that.
Where is the best??
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by marleintje
So if you could all choose where your house would be, which area has the perfect climate? Somewhere between Brisbane and Sydney? Or between Brisbane and Cairns? Or somewhere else?
I'm asking this because we haven't decided yet where to live but one of our reasons to move is the climate. We are so fed up with cold, dark, wet winters. I don't like the cold. Frost, brrrr.... But I'm not very happy when it's over 30 degrees and very humid either. I don't mind that for a few days though.
We've decided to look into places that come close to having an all year round pleasant climate. We like gardening, hiking, fishing and camping. So hey, wouldn't it be great if it wasn't to hot or cold for that most off the time!

Fact is that we live in Holland and it's been raining non stop for weeks. The longest day was a month ago so days are already getting shorter. No summer in sight though. I forgot what warm sun feels like. We had one attempted camping weekend but went home after one night when everything was soaked.

Where is the best??
Not sure I am qualified to answer this.

In NSW over the past few weeks it has been lovely during the day but Cold at night.It also gets dark at 5.0 pm.
It has even been Cold in Brisbane.

If you want to escape the cold you have to go north but it can then get Hot ,humid and wet and dark early.
If you want long evenings then go south but then you have periods of Cold and wet in the Winter and Very hot in the Summer. Adelaide can get in the 40.0C range.
It can get very wet anywhere but especially in the north in the summer.
I don't think you will find your perfect climate.

Good luck

G
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:50 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by marleintje

Where is the best??
The best we have found is Perth, someone (can't think who) has stated that it is the most compatible climate for human life. Whether that is true who knows.

Melbourne to cold
Brisbane to hot & humid
Adelaide not bad
Cairns far to humid
Darwin TOO Hot
Not been to Sydney so not sure

PJ
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:55 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
For those who can not take it any more:

Just $5k will fit out a 150 m^2 house with gas ducted heating.

House Heating

Great. If you get mains gas that is
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:07 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in Nundle (NSW) it would routinely fall below freezing during the winter nights but climb up to the low twenties during the day. Lowest temp was minus 12 while I was there - I nearly died! It even snowed, and we had frost most winter mornings. Offset by summer highs of 45 degrees plus though, so it wasn't all bad.

Our house was an old shearers quarters with 3 inch gaps under the doors, windows that didn't fit and only an open fire for warmth. I learnt a lot about how to keep warm - layers of wool is the way to go! That and a hotwater bottle, 2 doonas and 3 blankets at night
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:09 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by hevs
Great. If you get mains gas that is
OK, what of all that wood you stacked?

Put a door on the front of a 44 gallon (200 litre) drum, whack a hole in the back, punch a flue through wall and yer dun.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:24 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
OK, what of all that wood you stacked?
Its half way gone. The coonara heats the living area, but doesn't touch the bed rooms. Luckily the kids are tough and don't bat an eye lid.

As for me, well lets just say that getting up in a morning has become a major drama, my bedroom feels like an igloo
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:27 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
Luckily the kids are tough and don't bat an eye lid.
LOL! Have you checked their eyelids aren't actually frozen to their eyes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.