Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baby it's cold inside

Baby it's cold inside

Old Jul 15th 2004, 1:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jad n rich
OZ's greatest mystery, why do most people live as they did in the year 1904 with regard to heating and cooling?
After 9 months in Queensland battling against such statements as "if we have summer time it'll confuse the cows", I think the answer to this is - most people up here think it still IS 1904.....
Old Jul 15th 2004, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

marleintje is an unknown quantity at this point

How about the heat though? Does it get sickeningly hot in Queensland in summer?
Pollyana you live in Brisbane right? How is it there heat/cold wise?
I'm not very good in extreme heat so that has been more of a concern to me than the cold!
I will not leave all woolly jumpers behind though...
Old Jul 15th 2004, 2:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
After 9 months in Queensland battling against such statements as "if we have summer time it'll confuse the cows", I think the answer to this is - most people up here think it still IS 1904.....
I found the early dark nights difficult.
Especially as I could not find a decent pub to spend my evenings.

G
Old Jul 15th 2004, 2:17 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by marleintje
How about the heat though? Does it get sickeningly hot in Queensland in summer?
Pollyana you live in Brisbane right? How is it there heat/cold wise?
I'm not very good in extreme heat so that has been more of a concern to me than the cold!
I will not leave all woolly jumpers behind though...
Bring your woolly jumpers, we have had a couple of nights down to 3-4 degrees, and most houses have little or no heating or insulation. During the day in winter we have been getting 20-25 degrees though - thats the odd thing, getting used to the range of temperatures.
This summer - I'm told - was very hot compared to normal. We were over 30 I think from November to March constantly! One horrendous weekend it was over 40 degrees for 3 days, I was ill then too so it felt worse than normal. Nights in summer are usually 18-20 degrees, or more. The humidity wasn't as bad as I expected, except just before a storm, most of the time it was liveable with - and the interesting thing I've found is that it was the Aussies moaning about the heat more than us!
You get amazing storms in summer - we had a run in January, every afternoon at 4pmfor about 3 weeks......except for the day we got married at 4.30pm!! Not a storm in sight that day! Someone was smiling on us for sure.
I don't like the heat, and I coped. Remember most places - shops, offices, cars and homes have some sort of air con. Aussies seem to spend the summer running from one air conditioned place to the next!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 2:19 pm
Home and Happy

Originally posted by Grayling
I found the early dark nights difficult.
Especially as I could not find a decent pub to spend my evenings.

G
Have to agree there Grayling. I yearn for long summer evening sitting outside country pubs with a beer and a meal. That was a really big part of my life. The further south you go, the better the evenings get. We had a couple of lovely ones in Melbourne in March, and of course my favourite "Apple Isle" is even better - I remember it still being light at 9 - 9.30 there, much more civilised.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Megalania
Maybe 10%? Point is: lots of moaning, no get of arse. What kind of immos do are we getting?

Agreed! Well are known for being Whinging Pommes!!

I for one will make the neccesary changes that are required should I find it to be too hot or too cold. My house in Perth has a wood burning stove in the main living area and a reverse cycle air-con in another room. In bedrooms I shall add oil filled electric heaters (couple of hundred dollars each) which can go one for a couple of hours in a cold evening!!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 2:28 pm
Home and Happy

In bedrooms I shall add oil filled electric heaters (couple of hundred dollars each)
Suggested that to my Aussie Bloke (who leaves doors open till 11pm in winter. He spluttered amd started muttering about "HOW much", its only cold for a few weeks, and being British I should be tough and used to it! Feeble pleas of spending 40 years in houses with central heating fell on deaf ears.....!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Suggested that to my Aussie Bloke (who leaves doors open till 11pm in winter.

That surprises me - all the Aussies we met in Perth when we went to validate our visa were shocked that we were in the Pool etc. Temperature was between 22 and 27 each day. It was like a gorgeous summers day here in the UK (certainly we haven't had any of that this year), but yet Aussies were saying it was freezing.

I guess once we have been there for a while we will get like that too.

I did notice that it got a bit cool in the evenings, although that said we still had the air con on some nights
Old Jul 15th 2004, 2:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by darkless
That surprises me - all the Aussies we met in Perth when we went to validate our visa were shocked that we were in the Pool etc. Temperature was between 22 and 27 each day. It was like a gorgeous summers day here in the UK (certainly we haven't had any of that this year), but yet Aussies were saying it was freezing.

I did notice that it got a bit cool in the evenings, although that said we still had the air con on some nights
You are right
It was the Australians who were moaning about the cold.We found it OK.
Strange world Eh!

G
Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:30 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Bring your woolly jumpers, we have had a couple of nights down to 3-4 degrees, and most houses have little or no heating or insulation. During the day in winter we have been getting 20-25 degrees though - thats the odd thing, getting used to the range of temperatures.
This summer - I'm told - was very hot compared to normal. We were over 30 I think from November to March constantly! One horrendous weekend it was over 40 degrees for 3 days, I was ill then too so it felt worse than normal. Nights in summer are usually 18-20 degrees, or more. The humidity wasn't as bad as I expected, except just before a storm, most of the time it was liveable with - and the interesting thing I've found is that it was the Aussies moaning about the heat more than us!
You get amazing storms in summer - we had a run in January, every afternoon at 4pmfor about 3 weeks......except for the day we got married at 4.30pm!! Not a storm in sight that day! Someone was smiling on us for sure.
I don't like the heat, and I coped. Remember most places - shops, offices, cars and homes have some sort of air con. Aussies seem to spend the summer running from one air conditioned place to the next!
Spent quite a bit of time in Brisbane and have to say Aussie summer (in Brisbane) is VERY HOT and humid, we were there in Feb 2004 and it was 42 c on the weekend in question, compared to other areas. But Queensland is sub-tropicalso conditions will generally be like this.This is one of the main reasons that we are not moving to Brisbane, even though most of my rellies live there.

PJ
Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

This is the main reason why we intend to build our own house and also why i do not want ot live in an older Aussie home...done it once as a rental and NVER again... i am veyr lucky where we are now...we live right on the cliff edge our landlord lives nextdoor. Two good points...1. he is Canadian so understands heating needs!! 2. As he lives in the same place we do, he has had the good grace to install superior heating and cooling systems. Add to that the fact the house is less than 30yrs old and we now have very warm cosy evenings and stunning views out across the bay
Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:51 pm
maggy

Michelle (mlbonner) and I were discussing this the other night -

especially with reference to people who sit with all the doors and windows open, to let in fresh air, while they are wrapped up in woolies and complaining of the cold! Agree with you totally, grayling, houses here are just too cold - and heaters are too expensive to buy!

tell me about it lol

Im sitting here freezing my but off with a wee halogen heater at my feet and the gas cooker on to keep me warm.

I scream at everyone who leaves a door open to CLOSE IT.

I wake up in the morn open windows and doors and sit there wrapped up like an eskimo lol.

im dreading my electric bill.

Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:57 pm
maggy

Only been here 6 weeks when we first arrived we walked around in summer clothes wandering why everyone was wrapped up.

We were killing ourselves with laughter.

You know what lol

A few weeks later I was buying fleeces and a heater.

Its amazing how quickly you climatise and as for the pool forget it hahahahahahahah.

There aint no way u r gonna get me in there for another couple of months hahahahahahahah

Mags

Old Jul 15th 2004, 4:13 pm
maggy

Agreed! Well are known for being Whinging Pommes!!

I for one will make the neccesary changes that are required should I find it to be too hot or too cold. My house in Perth has a wood burning stove in the main living area and a reverse cycle air-con in another room. In bedrooms I shall add oil filled electric heaters (couple of hundred dollars each) which can go one for a couple of hours in a cold evening!!
Hi mate

can I come over and sit in your house to keep cosy lol

You have my number please give me a call.

I really adore Perth but I really do feel the cold.

Mark kills himself laughing at me as we are used to Scottish weather and he thinks im hardended to it

IM NOT hahahahahahah

When we were packing to come here he was adament that he did not need long trousers and coats as it was OZ.

U geuss it I now have a huge bill for winter woolies.

He only wanted to pack shorts and vests and had it not been for me slipping some warm clothing into our cases the bugger would be in hopspital with pneaumonia and I would have a large medi care bill lol.

Old Jul 15th 2004, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by maggy
Hi mate

can I come over and sit in your house to keep cosy lol

You have my number please give me a call.

I really adore Perth but I really do feel the cold.

Mark kills himself laughing at me as we are used to Scottish weather and he thinks im hardended to it

IM NOT hahahahahahah

When we were packing to come here he was adament that he did not need long trousers and coats as it was OZ.

U geuss it I now have a huge bill for winter woolies.

He only wanted to pack shorts and vests and had it not been for me slipping some warm clothing into our cases the bugger would be in hopspital with pneaumonia and I would have a large medi care bill lol.
Hi Maggie,

Unfortunately I am still in the UK. If you like I will ring my tenants and see if they mind you coming around for a warm.

Would be good to meet up with fellow Perthites when we arrive in January.

You are more than welcome to come for a warm next winter though. Although I am still trying to work how I will be able to have a log pile given I hate spiders. Am considering shrink wrapping the individual logs

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.