Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baby it's cold inside

Baby it's cold inside

Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Baby it's cold inside

I will state first of all that the weather in NSW was magnificent all the while we were there. The sky was blue and it got surprisingly warm during the day. The locals were not so happy as it is a drought and reservoir levels are dangerously low. Great for us on holiday though. However droughts need to be taken seriously as it also increases the fire risk as well as having to put up with water restrictions. I also understand that prolonged dry weather can do serios damage to property so it is not all good.

What came as a shock was the difference in temperature once the sun dropped (around 5 PM). It felt FREEZING:scared: .I'm serious.
The first night we arrived in Sydney we went for a walk. We were cold,very cold. We needed jumpers and fleeces and were wishing we had brought woolly hats. It brought tears to our eyes.
Next day we wrapped up to go sightseeing and it turned warm!
Then after dark it got cold again.Forget headline figures about temperatures. It felt cold.

The real problem with the cold is that houses are so poorly heated and badly insulated. My cousin had a gas heater in one room in her house and the whole family use the one room. If you want a big house with space for the kids then you also going to need a few heaters!

In Adelaide it was mostly wet and cold. My son has a log burning stove and reverse air conditioning but we still needed another heater in the bedroom. Most people also have electric blankets and these were in all the motels/hotels we used.

People in the UK may not be able to get their heads round this but it really surprised me. Beautiful days and cold nights.

You will not be having year round BBQs unless you are an eskimo

Why do houses not have central heating? It would make life so much more comfortable.

BTW even on the beautiful sunny days in NSW most people were wearing coats and hats and complaining of the cold!

G
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Michelle (mlbonner) and I were discussing this the other night -

Why do houses not have central heating? It would make life so much more comfortable.
especially with reference to people who sit with all the doors and windows open, to let in fresh air, while they are wrapped up in woolies and complaining of the cold! Agree with you totally, grayling, houses here are just too cold - and heaters are too expensive to buy!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is cold at night. Never had so many blankets on my bed till I came here.
Not for too much longer I hope.

Whisky
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:54 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Funy thing is: the Yanks are temperature whimps too - funny 'cos they have serious weather.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Baby it's cold inside

Originally posted by Grayling

G
Grayling

In Melbourne most modern houses have ducted heating. Floor vents in every room....just as good as central heating in the UK.

Only 5 days until we move into our own house......which has ducted heating.....yey
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jaykay
Grayling

In Melbourne most modern houses have ducted heating. Floor vents in every room....just as good as central heating in the UK.

Only 5 days until we move into our own house......which has ducted heating.....yey
Jaykay

I thought that some houses had started using C/H. My son's in Adelaide is 1930's so does not but would need it.
NSW houses did not seem to. Don't know about elsewhere.

Good luck with the move

Best wishes

G
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

And in summer you could say these houses are poorly insulated, boiling hot and why dont they have aircondioning.

OZ's greatest mystery, why do most people live as they did in the year 1904 with regard to heating and cooling?
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:04 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We,re in nz and have the same prob and we have a new house now (well 4yrs old), still has no double glazing although I think it has a bit of insulation compared to the shed of a wooden rental we first lived in. We have never been so cold. I cant understand the lack of central heating ... when I was a child our house had an open fire and a back boiler (wetback) which fed the hot water tank and the radiators in all the rooms. So the lack of natural gas is no excuse
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:04 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jad n rich
And in summer you could say these houses are poorly insulated, boiling hot and why dont they have aircondioning.

OZ's greatest mystery, why do most people live as they did in the year 1904 with regard to heating and cooling?
Resilience.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:24 pm
Banned

For those who can not take it any more:

Just $5k will fit out a 150 m^2 house with gas ducted heating.

House Heating

Don't curse the coldness, light a candle.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Megalania
For those who can not take it any more:

Just $5k will fit out a 150 m^2 house with gas ducted heating.

House Heating

Don't curse the coldness, light a candle.

A useful indication but I suspect that the price is higher than that now. That article was written in Jan 2002
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice

We couldn't believe how cold it was when we visited Melbourne last August. Had to buy scarves and gloves! Family back home didn't believe us!

Originally posted by Grayling
I will state first of all that the weather in NSW was magnificent all the while we were there. The sky was blue and it got surprisingly warm during the day. The locals were not so happy as it is a drought and reservoir levels are dangerously low. Great for us on holiday though. However droughts need to be taken seriously as it also increases the fire risk as well as having to put up with water restrictions. I also understand that prolonged dry weather can do serios damage to property so it is not all good.

What came as a shock was the difference in temperature once the sun dropped (around 5 PM). It felt FREEZING:scared: .I'm serious.
The first night we arrived in Sydney we went for a walk. We were cold,very cold. We needed jumpers and fleeces and were wishing we had brought woolly hats. It brought tears to our eyes.
Next day we wrapped up to go sightseeing and it turned warm!
Then after dark it got cold again.Forget headline figures about temperatures. It felt cold.

The real problem with the cold is that houses are so poorly heated and badly insulated. My cousin had a gas heater in one room in her house and the whole family use the one room. If you want a big house with space for the kids then you also going to need a few heaters!

In Adelaide it was mostly wet and cold. My son has a log burning stove and reverse air conditioning but we still needed another heater in the bedroom. Most people also have electric blankets and these were in all the motels/hotels we used.

People in the UK may not be able to get their heads round this but it really surprised me. Beautiful days and cold nights.

You will not be having year round BBQs unless you are an eskimo

BTW even on the beautiful sunny days in NSW most people were wearing coats and hats and complaining of the cold!

G
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:55 pm
Banned

Originally posted by darkless
A useful indication but I suspect that the price is higher than that now. That article was written in Jan 2002
Maybe 10%? Point is: lots of moaning, no get of arse. What kind of immos do are we getting?
Old Jul 15th 2004, 1:02 pm

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Houses can be built with a high degree of insulation which can keep them cool in summer and warm in the winter months, but its all down to good design.

A good Architect will look at many factors including location, orientation of building, height, wind chill, etc, and design accordingly. Building codes are a starting point only., and buildrs will build down to a standard.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 1:04 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Sukhi
Houses can be built with a high degree of insulation which can keep them cool in summer and warm in the winter months, but its all down to good design.

A good Architect will look at many factors including location, orientation of building, height, wind chill, etc, and design accordingly. Building codes are a starting point only., and buildrs will build down to a standard.
Indeed. And adding ceiling and wall insulation to most existing houses is not expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.