Baby due?

Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

d020775 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baby due?

Hi,

My wife and I are due to have a first baby in late Feb 09. We have only been in Oz for five weeks and have not seen any signs of mother/toddler groups when we have looked around i.e. local newspapers, hospital, library etc.

We are living on Bribie Island and are interested if anybody else is/has been in this boat. It would be nice to get to meet people.

Thanks for any advice or information

Happy New Year to you all to

Dave & Sarah
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:18 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all
Default Re: Baby due?

Sorry, can't help but thought I would say good luck with the baby. It's a very special time.

Nikki
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Nikki, HNY
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:27 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I have had 3 babies in 4 years in Australia and so am quite well placed to answer this one.

Once your wife has the baby, or perhaps before dependent on which hospital
are you going private or to the royal brisbane or somewhere else?

If you go public, the midwifes go through a pack with you and then talk to you about community health. Then when you go to community health and get the baby weighed etc there will be a mums and bubs group for you to join. There may be a couple of community health centres in your area and you can join more than one group if you wanted to compare - I never did but I have a friend who is an obsessive mothers grouper

With this group they will go through all different baby skills each week - sleeping, feeding, solids, baby massage, boob care, getting your body back etc. they are really good for a first time mum and you get to talk to others about what you are doing right and wrong. I found it really supportive on my first.

This goes on for maybe 12 weeks but many groups then decide to keep on meeting afterwards.

If your baby has special needs in any way, then they will usually put you in touch with suitable groups to find out more too.

exciting stuff isnt it!

Vivienne
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:29 am

Also I enjoyed baby yoga and the pregnancy swimming things - you usually meet other mums due the same time as you there and they may also know of groups later.

The build up is as much fun as the event I think
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Vivienne

Very exciting indeed, all be it very hot to!! Thanks for your help, at least it sounds like there is something for us to do/join when bubs comes out. We have te midwife appointment mid Jan so not long before due date. hopefully she can give us some details

Cheers
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

We are going public in Caboolture hospital, only just got here and not sorted out the medical insurance yet, don't think it would have been valid anyway.

Will have to tell Sarah about the Yoga, don't think she's up to much bending and wisting though!!!!!

Dave
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:42 am

Yes - you have to be a bit careful not to overdress teh baby - I kept wanting to put more clothes on mine. It always seemed like they needed more on

They say just put one extra layer from what you do - I have been really impressed with the whole having baby set up here - its different from the uk but it was better for me that I would have received at home.

We had problems with our first and my friend had problems in the uk and we were treated much more comprehensively and the after care for our baby who is mildly disabled has been fantastic - doesnt even compare to home. For our other two, in some ways it was less supportive than the home visiting midwife system at home but if you ask, you find out there are set ups for everything here they just dont always tell you!

public is better - I went private with number 1 and when I needed to have her a bit early, they couldnt cope and I was sent public straight away. Another friend had problems when the baby was born and the same thing, I would much prefer to be where all the equipment is, most babies are no drama but its comforting to know the best of everything is around you and publically here it is.

The swimming thing is good - you just bob around a lot and do gentle stretching to prepare yourself for the birth and compare tummies
Viv

Last edited by viviennef; Dec 30th 2008 at 10:45 am.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

The swimming thing does sound cool, will tell Sarah tomorrow(she is sleeping now) and we can look for some local pools that do it. I have to find her a car to, as I will need mine for work down in the city.

Don't suppose you know of someone who has a little car for sale?

Dave
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:06 am

No I dont unfortunately but we got a honda crv and its been really great - fits a pram in with shopping with no drama. I definately wouldnt want a 2 door with a baby in the back. Plus its fantastic on petrol.

If you want to get a car seat - babybums.com.au in buderim give you 3 month free capsule hire when you buy a seat so you get the best of both worlds.

If you are stuck for anything baby, pm me, and I may be able to help

Viv
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

binnz10 will become famous soon enoughbinnz10 will become famous soon enough

Having a baby is a great way to meet new people, I fell pregnant as soon as we moved to Oz, and felt quite low and isolated at first, but made the efforts to go to anything that was on for pregnant mums, aqua aerobics, anti natal classes and then a mum and bubs group after, this was for 6 months, playgroups, toddler tunes.....the mums from both my anti natal group and mum and bubs still meet and have become good friends with. Check out your local newsletters or papers for a whats on in your community. Good luck, an exciting time for you both.