Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baby bank accounts

Baby bank accounts

Old Feb 27th 2004, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Baby bank accounts

When my darling son was born (see latest piccie!) he was given lots of money from the rellies. Also he got some more for Christmas. We haven't done anything with that money yet. Should we open a baby ISA in the UK for him - tax free here - do childrens bank accounts get taxed on Oz? Or should we wait til we get to Oz and open one for him there? If so, are there any recommendations?
Attached Thumbnails Baby bank accounts-meandlaurie.jpg  
Old Feb 27th 2004, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

He must have known i was talking about him - he's gone and woken up now.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:13 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: Baby bank accounts

Originally posted by Mummy
When my darling son was born (see latest piccie!) he was given lots of money from the rellies. Also he got some more for Christmas. We haven't done anything with that money yet. Should we open a baby ISA in the UK for him - tax free here - do childrens bank accounts get taxed on Oz? Or should we wait til we get to Oz and open one for him there? If so, are there any recommendations?
I was just looking into this myself and would be interested if anyone replies. I have triplets age 4 and they are always getting money given for xmas, birthdays, pocket money of grandparents etc. I just do not know what to do for the best either.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 2:38 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nicholls clan
I was just looking into this myself and would be interested if anyone replies. I have triplets age 4 and they are always getting money given for xmas, birthdays, pocket money of grandparents etc. I just do not know what to do for the best either.
Bump. I'm interested in this too. Here in the UK, we have a Nationwide child savings account & a pension for our 10 month old son.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 3:53 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya Mummy,

have you had any money from the UK gov for your new baby?
I thought that it had to go into a special account for the baby?

Regards
Mark
Old Feb 27th 2004, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

markcrute is an unknown quantity at this point

help needed here too.
3 children aged 12 10 8 all with own savings books and a bit of lolly in all three.

whats the best thing to do ?
Old Feb 27th 2004, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by markeh
Hiya Mummy,

have you had any money from the UK gov for your new baby?
I thought that it had to go into a special account for the baby?

Regards
Mark
Although this is supposed to be the case i don't think it is actually in practice yet - haven't had any money anyway!
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Although this is supposed to be the case i don't think it is actually in practice yet - haven't had any money anyway!

Kids have a tax free allowance on the interest, it was around the $600. Then they get 47% tax on interest earnt over that.

I dont think keeping money stashed in the UK is going to be much use now. Its been slapped all over the media this week that the ATO (aus tax office) latest crackdown is money/income etc in OS bank accounts.

All overseas income be it rent, interest, shares whatever is supposed to be declared to on annual Tax return and Centerlink payments.

Now ATO has spent millions on new technology its targeting people with OS links the aim being a huge clawback of centerlink overpayments and tax on money not declared.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 10:03 pm
ABCDiamond

The Commonwealth Bank have an account called "dollarmites" designed for children, and most schools participate in running deposit sessions at the school.
It keeps the kids interested and involved in saving.

I think that all kids accounts have to be in the name of the parent as the trustee for the child. That's what the ANZ have told us.

Old Mar 1st 2004, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

cuthere is an unknown quantity at this point

Check this out. ATO's website on children's accounts.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...1/002&st=&cy=1