Reload this Page >

Babies - need ladies advice!!

Babies - need ladies advice!!

Old Feb 20th 2007, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

imerati is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Babies - need ladies advice!!

Greetings all,
My wife and I are planning on starting a family, we are also planning our escape to Oz. But don't know anything about the healthcare and maternity side of things out in Oz. We are planning on going to Perth.
We've had a chat with our GP, as my wife is russian and they do things so differently in Moscow compared to "sunny" not blighty, so we now are trying to decide whether or not to get cracking on baby making here, or to wait and go through all the TRA/visa stuff, move settle and then start our family in Oz.

I know there are lots of choices, but its the background info that would be so helpful.......

pm as a sensitive issue

Thanks in advance

nige & Olly
imerati motorsport
Old Feb 20th 2007, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Babies - need ladies advice!!

I am getting to about that sort of time in life too and have been thinking about this. I am not 100% sure, but I don't think you are entitled to maternety leave until you have been in Oz for 2 years as a PR. Can't help in any other way I'm affraid.
Good luck
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

nadine23 is on a distinguished road

Hi there - I've been thinking about this too so have done some research. There is no government maternity pay in Australia and apparently approx 60% companies offer no maternity pay either however you are entitled to 1 years unpaid leave as long as you have worked for the qualifying period (I think it's usually 1 year). The other thing you get is a baby bond (I think that is what it's called) which is $4000 at present and rising to $5000 for babies born in July 2008 and later. This is a one of payment that you are entitled to if you have a PR visa! Hope this helps! Nadine.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my lordy, no maternity pay..... what is the world coming too - that's the best bit about having a baby (obviously I'm joking before I get lynched lol).

Seriously, I'm shocked, do women just give birth and get straight back to work in Oz - if it's anythig like here, I couldn't afford not to work as I'd have house to pay for etc etc!

Anyone got any ideas on how much childcare costs in Oz - I know its blooming expensive here!!!

Emma
Old Feb 20th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Hi,

If you work in health care they often give you maternity pay. As far as I knew Maternity pay in the UK isn't a given either. I know a couple of girls who were given the time off but no pay.

You can still apply for a family benefit here which is similar to the family allowance in the UK but you have to be PR.

Basic child care is approximately $80.00 for a under 1 year old per day and it normally goes to about $65.00 for a 2-3 year old per day. Paying this money you will (or should get if you qualify for it i.e. PR) for a 30% rebate from the tax man.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

liza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to allliza-bee is a name known to all

Putting maternity pay aside, and thinking of the actual experience of having a baby, with the NHS like it is, you can get good and bad hospitals, and from what I have read/heard, the maternity care in Australia, and general medical care is excellent. Just something to consider.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I always forget that my firm's maternity pay is enhanced (we get 4 months full pay then the rest of the nine months at the statutory £108 per week). I think by law in Uk you get 6 weeks full pay and then the rest of the nine months paid at £108 per week - then can have remainder of the year as unpaid (for babies born after April 07).

Sounds as if childcare is just as expensive over there as it is here!!! Forgotten what its like to keep my wages lol My littleun is 4 next week so will be starting school soon - much cheaper!!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

There's much more to pay for here which you would get for 'free' from the NHS (although you have paid for that through your NI anyway). I personally would have the baby in the UK.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 11:28 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

iPom is right about the cost side of things, from my research. And while health insurance covers obs and gyn, these services attract a twelve month waiting period.

Currently, the Maternity Payment is $4100.00 (although this will rise in July, as previously stated). The following website is useful for info on that payment and explaining about tax benefits:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne.../maternity.htm

Maternity pay over here - and attitudes towards it - is fairly archaic, IMHO (there was a debate on this very topic on brekkie news. One of the interviewees was explaining that businnesses would close if forced to pay for maternity leave). While some companies are more progressive than others, conditional paid maternity leave is not uncommon (whereby maternity leave is paid, but if a woman does not return to work within a year, they have to pay it back).

There's also the usual problems with lack of childcare places.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 11:51 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

There was something on the TV thismorning about maternity pay and should it be bought in, there was a lot of who would be paying for it, what would small business owners do etc. Most people I know have worked literally until the day they are due and go back if they need the cash asap. You do get the baby bond though so at least you get something.
The program anyway said and pointed out if it would be the business owner who paid or the tax we all pay, to which somebody stated why should I pay in my taxes for somebody to have a baby! and then said that small business owners would go under and I have to agree if I had a worker who then went off to have a baby and I had to find their wage and somebody elses to take over for them it would cripple me.
Australia is a very strange place and some of the way things are done and this being one of the weird ones are done are that way for many reasons and I would hazzard a guess that tax payers etc would be hysterical if told they had to pay, and the government would be looked at in a different light.

Anyhow back to it, wait until you are here to make a baby! You don't want to delay your meds etc if your wife gets pregnant straight away!

Jenny
Old Feb 21st 2007, 4:25 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
There's much more to pay for here which you would get for 'free' from the NHS (although you have paid for that through your NI anyway). I personally would have the baby in the UK.
I have had baby in UK (NHS) & Oz (Public). (In Oz PR)
UK you get free prescriptions/some dental work during pregnancy & 1 year after - not in Oz
If you go to bulk billing Dr no charge (went once for referal to hospital bit after finding out I was pregnant, out of pocket around $20 as did not bulk bill). Council here do free jabs, again free (ie no consultation charge) for bulk billing Drs.
1 scan done at private place out of pocket around $30 or $40 mark after claiming back on medicare - rest done at hospital & no charge.

Neither experience was absolutley perfect, but the main outcome was that I have 2 heathly children
Old Feb 21st 2007, 4:32 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

That's not bad, walaj. My business partner is pregnant and her costs seem to be massive... scans, blood tests all paid for.
I guess the thing is being able to find a bulk billing doc and most of all, having a good pregnancy... All mine have been in the UK and given that with the last one both him and I nearly died, I've decided any future pregnancy is out of the question. I don't want to risk that again.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I have had 2 children in Australia, many years ago, as a private patient and it cost me nothing. Actually, with the first one I got money back from my Med. Ben. However, much more recently my 2 daughters in law have had 2 children each and were Medicare patients and it cost them nothing. One had 2 pregnancies and almost died with the second and the other had twins, delivered by caesar. Both were very happy with the care they received.
I agree that paid maternity leave is not a common thing but the baby bonus would certainly help.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:41 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for being dim here, can someone just clarify for me - when you are pregnant in Oz do you have to pay for all your medical treatment? Like appointments with midwife, scans and bloodtests etc? What happens if you have to have a section, do you have to pay for that?

Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:58 am
Just Joined

skatie6699 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by imerati
Greetings all,
My wife and I are planning on starting a family, we are also planning our escape to Oz. But don't know anything about the healthcare and maternity side of things out in Oz. We are planning on going to Perth.
We've had a chat with our GP, as my wife is russian and they do things so differently in Moscow compared to "sunny" not blighty, so we now are trying to decide whether or not to get cracking on baby making here, or to wait and go through all the TRA/visa stuff, move settle and then start our family in Oz.

I know there are lots of choices, but its the background info that would be so helpful.......

pm as a sensitive issue

Thanks in advance

nige & Olly
imerati motorsport
hi i work in the special care part of maternety in joondalup, north perth, i am proud to say that the care is excellent much better than the uk midwives are less stressed babies and mum are better cared for(midwives in uk are undervalued and overworked) . i say have your babies over here try not to think so much about money if you want the lifestyle change you ll make it work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.