Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

babies flying with singapore airlines????

babies flying with singapore airlines????

Old Aug 18th 2003, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default babies flying with singapore airlines????

hi there i hope someone can help with my ? what kind of babies facilitys r there on singapore airlines ie warming food ,keeping milk products chilled,changing rooms, i have never flown more than 8 hours and r wondering how will cope with 11 month old aboard,please tell me your own experiences and any advice many thanks ali :scared:
Old Aug 18th 2003, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: babies flying with singapore airlines????

Originally posted by delboy
hi there i hope someone can help with my ? what kind of babies facilitys r there on singapore airlines ie warming food ,keeping milk products chilled,changing rooms, i have never flown more than 8 hours and r wondering how will cope with 11 month old aboard,please tell me your own experiences and any advice many thanks ali :scared:
Didn't take a baby, just a 14 year old(no differnece then), But from what we saw the cabin crew were great when it comes to looking after babies. An added bonus was the extra room the people with babies got, they had the seats by the centre bulkhead which housed the crew , cribs were provided that fixed in brackets in front of the parents. We saw parents with babies to and from NZ, all seemed well.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Lynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really nice

Hi, we flew with Singapore, although we did not have a baby, we sat next to a couple who had an eight month baby. They were offered front seats so they could have a sky cot, their food was warmed on request, they were asked if they wanted any bits placed into storage, changing table's were available in the loos.

I have a 4 year old and a nine year old andon a personal bases i found that Singapour airlines were far the best i have ever used. They were always happy to help, and brought you what ever you wanted. 10/10 for singapour.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 9:48 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I flew on my own to Oz with my daughter who was 5 months at the time. Singapore airlines were fantastic, all i had to do was push the call button and they would carry out food warming requests etc there and then. The change tables in the loos are tiny though, but we coped! The only problem i had was sleeping as i had an irrational fear that someone would kidnap her and when i woke up she'd be gone, it never occured to me that they wouldn't be able to take her far!!!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 11:03 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Hey Delboy.....for a starter....please make sure you not flying out on the 30th november.....and if you are....make sure you baby is knackered and needs a looong kip, last time i flew to oz i was kept awake for hours by a screaming toddler !!!

Have you tried the sing air website? Most airlines have details of their facilities on the web.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeteY
Hey Delboy.....for a starter....please make sure you not flying out on the 30th november.....and if you are....make sure you baby is knackered and needs a looong kip, last time i flew to oz i was kept awake for hours by a screaming toddler !!!

Or November 12th/13th for that matter! Only a parent can put up with 20+ hour flight and not notice the noise whilst everyone else (inc me) shoots them filthy looks! My cats have to travel in the hold, could the same rule apply for kids? hahaha

Ok, I love kids really....when they're miles away from me!

Wannabe Wallaby
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Hi Delboy

Singapore Airlines are one of the best airlines you could wish to travel with, make sure when you book you advise them that you need a basinet (sky cot) and book baby meals, if you are travelling with any other kids remember to pre book the kids meals, do not assume they will automatically carry them. I have a feeling that they do not carry cows milk on board so you may have to carry your own or if the liitle darling will take it some cartons of sma progress are fab as you dont need to keep them cool. Feel free to travel Nov 29th as having done it before i wouldnt throw you dirty looks, nothing like experience to change your perspective! It may also be worth asking the doc for a script for some phenergan, its an antihitimine (sorry probably spelt wrong) it makes kids drowsy but has to be given on script for a child under 2, do try it before you fly as it makes some kids hyper, not the effect you want really.

Dont worry about it, i found it far easier to fly with a baby than when they want to walk everywhere!

Lynn

Something else i meant to say, if you are worried about it book an extra seat and pay the child fare than put her car seat in it, makes life very easy. Also when you book if you use an agent still call the airline yourself to check that they have made your special requests.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:40 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

Just like h garrett..... I took my 6mth old to Brisbane via Singapore Airlines. Fantastic!! You should have been asked when you booked your tickets if you required a bassinet(skycot)

Because of the midnight flight my daughter slept nearly all of the way to Singapore. I took the cartons of baby milk and the cabin crew were more than helpful in heating them up.

Good luck!!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:59 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WannabeWallaby
Originally posted by PeteY

Or November 12th/13th for that matter! Only a parent can put up with 20+ hour flight and not notice the noise whilst everyone else (inc me) shoots them filthy looks! My cats have to travel in the hold, could the same rule apply for kids? hahaha

Ok, I love kids really....when they're miles away from me!

Wannabe Wallaby
Not much we parents can do about screaming kids in certain situations. New tooth coming? Scream. Bad situation (ears hurting, horrible food, cramped: flying)? Scream. My first son aged 14 months at the time travelled brilliantly to Thailand but 3 weeks later on the way back decided to scream and shout for 13 hours non-stop. (Never acted like that before.) What do you expect parents to do? We're just learning! Surely you don't want us to fill them with drugs or smack them until they shut up?!!! It's not very easy being a parent sometimes.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone for being so helpfull,it really does help to get other peoples experiences,now i have another ? r the toilets bigger than flights to spain or greece as you can only just get yourself in the room??? .
Im really looking forward to see oz [perth] in october /november BUTnot that long flight ,anyone else travelling around the middle of october if so where r u staying.Thanks everyone for taking the time with info cheers
Old Aug 18th 2003, 8:56 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everyone for being so helpfull,it really does help to get other peoples experiences,now i have another ? r the toilets bigger than flights to spain or greece as you can only just get yourself in the room??? .
Im really looking forward to see oz [perth] in october /november BUTnot that long flight ,anyone else travelling around the middle of october if so where r u staying.Thanks everyone for taking the time with info cheers

when they get grumpy (baby, not other passengers!) have a wander around the cabin with your little 'un. you might just meet someone like me who gets bored of sitting for 22 hours and is more than happy to do a 20 minute stroll with your baby for you!! I had 2 on the go on one flight - great fun! gives you the opportunity to scowl back at the dirty looks brigade! you will also find the cabin staff are more than happy to do a stint of holding baby if they arent too busy. good luck, try not to dread the flight - look on it as part of the adventure; your baby will be calm if you are!!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Hi Allison

yes toilets are bigger on long haul (managed to change and wash son ok), they have pull down changing boards, like public loos, if you know what i mean.

Don't worry, its not all that bad on the plane, if you are calm - have a large drink - then children will be too. Nobody on the flights minded Oliver at all, had people wanting to help out! funny that travelling this time with a child from before without to oz, noticed how many other babies/children there actually were - G's words "at least with this many, they won't hear Oliver!" He slept loads anyway and watched the tv too

Take plenty of books - sticker ones are good however old children are

Have fun in Perth

Teresa

Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Just like to back up everyones comments and say that Singapore were the best airline we have travelled with. They were very child friendly and nothing was too much trouble and always with a nice smile. As tiredwithtwins says, it's quite easy to offload cute little babies to staff and other passengers for a while.

Relax, it won't be as bad as you imagine. The toilets are pretty little think I used to change nappies with them flung over my shoulder!!

DIane