Babies

Old Nov 17th 2004, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

JennyCH is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Babies

Hi everyone,

this is the 1st time Ive posted a message so please be nice and write back. I am travelling with my boyfriend and will be going to New Zealand next on a working holiday visa. We would like to stay after the year is up maybe buy some land and you know do the settling thing. But we think that with what we both do for work we will not have much chance to stay as my boyfriend drives and I make jewellery, not the most qualified people. We heard that having a baby in the country automaticaly gives the baby citizanship and the parents get the same. We have been thinking about having a baby anyway, it wouldnt just be for the visa so please dont put me on to NSPCC.

It seems that I may of missed a BBC2 programe on the very subject so if anyone saw it and can fill in any of my blanks we would be very grateful.

Thanks, Jenny
Old Nov 17th 2004, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Babies

Originally Posted by JennyCH
Hi everyone,

this is the 1st time Ive posted a message so please be nice and write back. I am travelling with my boyfriend and will be going to New Zealand next on a working holiday visa. We would like to stay after the year is up maybe buy some land and you know do the settling thing. But we think that with what we both do for work we will not have much chance to stay as my boyfriend drives and I make jewellery, not the most qualified people. We heard that having a baby in the country automaticaly gives the baby citizanship and the parents get the same. We have been thinking about having a baby anyway, it wouldnt just be for the visa so please dont put me on to NSPCC.

It seems that I may of missed a BBC2 programe on the very subject so if anyone saw it and can fill in any of my blanks we would be very grateful.

Thanks, Jenny
Greetings and welcome to the forum!

Not sure about how the whole baby thing works, sorry. I think, and I hope someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong, that you'd have to leave the country at the end of your working holiday and apply for PR or whatever offshore.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

This sounds highly unlikely to me, otherwise holiday makers would be popping kids left, right and centre, surely? Why would people bother with the rigmarole of immigration if it could be done this way? IMO
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JennyCH
Hi everyone,

Thanks, Jenny
New Zealand does give citizenship automatically to babies born in the country (except children of diplomats).

But too many people have been trying on what you plan, and as a result the NZ Government is going to change the law shortly to bring in a requirement that at least one parent of an NZ born child be an NZ citizen or permanent resident - otherwise the child won't be a citizen.

Even if the child is a citizen (born before the new law takes effect) it won't give the parents citizenship.

You can read about NZ citizenship to your heart's content at http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

Jeremy
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

JennyCH is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Babies

Hia Jeremy,

Thanks alot for the info concerning babies and New Zealand citizenship.So how do you know this info. have you tried personally yourself or do you know of someone who has ? I went to the site you suggested but it dosent tell you the inside info like if they are more leniant towards parents who have conceived a baby in NZ.If you know of anybody who has,it would be great to contact them

Thanks JennyCH