Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BA to stop Heathrow to Melbourne route ??

BA to stop Heathrow to Melbourne route ??

Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Aldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura about
Default BA to stop Heathrow to Melbourne route ??

I heard on the tv this morning that BA are stopping the Heathrow to Melbourne flight?

Can anyone confirm this? Sounds a bit extreme to me.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Aldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: BA to stop Heathrow to Melbourne route ??

I just checked the BA site and found the following

"From 27 March 2006, our daily service from London Heathrow to Melbourne via Singapore will terminate in Singapore.

Our partner, Qantas, will operate the sector from Singapore to Melbourne in place of the British Airways service, as part of the airlines' Joint Services Agreement.

Qantas will operate two daily flights to Melbourne, one via Singapore (the QF 9 and the QF10) and one via Hong Kong (the QF 29 and the QF30)."
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aldebaran
I heard on the tv this morning that BA are stopping the Heathrow to Melbourne flight?

Don't forget that BA are in partnership with Quantas and others so in a way they will still be able to get you there.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:58 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

The finer details are being sorted out at BA now, however the plan is that BA will fly from LHR-SINGAPORE and then you'd need to change to Qantas to get from SIN-MELBOURNE.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 8:00 am
Account Closed

I just checked the BA site and found the following

"From 27 March 2006, our daily service from London Heathrow to Melbourne via Singapore will terminate in Singapore.

Our partner, Qantas, will operate the sector from Singapore to Melbourne in place of the British Airways service, as part of the airlines' Joint Services Agreement.

Qantas will operate two daily flights to Melbourne, one via Singapore (the QF 9 and the QF10) and one via Hong Kong (the QF 29 and the QF30)."

I work for BA. I'll have a look at the Crew website and see if I can get extra info.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzy
I work for BA. I'll have a look at the Crew website and see if I can get extra info.

Do you think this will make a difference to the availability of ID80's, Lon-Mel, to family of BA staff?

TC
Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:59 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

BA needs to free aircraft for new routes coming up, cancelling the MEL route will make 1 B747 available, anyway BA/QF operate a code-share agreement in other words you will still get there but with Qantas.

Hi suzy you Eurofleet?

Hoo-Roo
Boomerang learning to fly
Old Feb 17th 2006, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boomerang

Hi suzy you Eurofleet?

Yep

To TC - probably will make a slight difference as Qantas staff will take priority over BA staff.

I checked the crew website - no different to what's been said already on this thread apart from talking about the benefit to passengers - which IMO remains to be seen
Old Feb 17th 2006, 10:27 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Yep
Nice hehehe, i was at the compass centre the other day and was impressed let's hope that WW doesn't destroy the airline...
Old Feb 17th 2006, 10:31 am
Account Closed

Nice hehehe, i was at the compass centre the other day and was impressed let's hope that WW doesn't destroy the airline...

Willie Wontee, Willie Wontee

So you must be new if you are impressed with the Camparse Centre (sorry compass). Have you tried the food yet? :scared:
Old Feb 17th 2006, 10:36 am
G'day Mate

I'm an ex British Airways flying club student pilot

Oh i know that not everything is rosy down that way, Pension's, morale is down etc...

The food was :scared:

On my way to Oz now, will continue the flying training down there.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 10:39 am
Account Closed

I'm an ex British Airways flying club student pilot

Oh i know that not everything is rosy down that way, Pension's, morale is down etc...

The food was :scared:

On my way to Oz now, will continue the flying training down there.

Good luck in Oz. Gotta fly now (scuse the pun)
Old Feb 17th 2006, 10:49 am
G'day Mate

V1... Rotate... positive rate of climb... gear up...

2m later seatbelt signs off... Cabin Crew to work

Safe Flying...
Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

jsm66 is an unknown quantity at this point

V1... Rotate... positive rate of climb... gear up...

2m later seatbelt signs off... Cabin Crew to work

Safe Flying...
I flew with BA (actually Qantas) to Melbourne last October and would say that the airline is almost 3rd world. The queuing up at Terminal 4 reminded me of the crowds at New Dehli Railway Station .. no reason nor rhyme!
The food was horrid .. the service non existent.