Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BA Premium Economy

BA Premium Economy

Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:18 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Default BA Premium Economy

Have you ever flown from UK to Oz on Premium Economy? what was the extra costs and what did you get for the money, was it worth it?
As Quantas share the routes UK-OZ with BA what happens if you are put on a QF flt?
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:50 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BA Premium Economy

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Have you ever flown from UK to Oz on Premium Economy? what was the extra costs and what did you get for the money, was it worth it?
As Quantas share the routes UK-OZ with BA what happens if you are put on a QF flt?
Ultimately PE is not business class. Expect a separate and small cabin, business class-ish level of food and some more leg room. I think Qantas has PE on flights to Sydney and Melbourne from Singapore/London, but not into Brisbane or Perth.

In those cases you basically end up in PE on the first BA sector and economy for the rest.

There's no lounge access or other perks.

I could not help but notice that BA have a special offer on though :

Of course, everyone lives in hope of an upgrade. Now you can be guaranteed one if you are travelling to the UK, Europe or Asia before the end of March 2011. By taking advantage of our special ‘Leap Up’ airfares, available for sale until 2 October 2010, you’ll enjoy a one-way upgrade to the next cabin with British Airways.

To find out more and make your booking call British Airways on 1300 767 177 (open Mon- Fri from 0900– 1730) or contact your preferred travel agent. Remember to ask for the special British Airways ‘Leap Up’ fare when you book.

So book PE and get proper business class with a bed. Now that is worth it...
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:54 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Or alternatively you might consider flying Royal Brunei Business Class which have really decent seats for about the same cost as PE BA. No booze, but a bed is a bed is a bed...
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:44 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Thanks for that Centurion- unfortunately my friend isnt coming till 2012
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, don't bother. We paid the extra and wish we hadn't. Yes you are in a smaller cabin with a bit wider seat pitch but really that's where the "luxury" ends. The food was the same, the attitude of the staff was just as bad as the economy staff, no lounge at airport and not forgetting, of course, the constant worry that they might be on strike (they're balloting going out at Xmas I heard today). You also fly economy with Quantas to Melbourne (not sure about elsewhere)
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:04 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

In laws booked PE on QF last year got upgraded to business both ways...

Was upgraded once on BA to the US and agree with all the other posters have said here... You may find Business class fares on other airlines v.close to premium economy fares...
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:25 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I flew premium economy in BA from LHR to Beijing. You get a lot more leg room, nicer meals and I think the service was better. I'm quite tall and was travelling on my own so it was worth it. I guess it depends on how friendly you want to be with the person you are sitting next to! It is a lot of money though.

I flew Virgin PE another time and it way WAY better than BA.

You get a special check in so don't have to queue with everyone else which can be a real benefit. Although at terminal 5 at LHR it's all self check in anyway.

If you fly PE with Air NZ your luggage comes off first with the business class luggage, but not with BA, if I recall correctly.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have never travelled PE to Australia but I once went london to Bangkok and also a few times to the states on it. The product is well below business class but then so is the price on that class of airline. For me it is all about extra legroom and personal space, beyond that everything is the same as economy. As I value extra space, I would pay the extra and have done a few times, if you are looking for the business class experience you won't get it.

A disadvantage is that the arm rests are solid in the PE seats, so if you get a spare seat beside you it is annoying that you can't lift up the arm rest and have two seats.

If there is a cheap business available for the same price as PE then I agree that would be bettter option.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

My husbands folks use Premium Economy all the time now. For them (in their 70's) they feel it's better for room and that's all they want.

They come every year so can't justify the leap to business class although I suspect this will come with time and increasing age!

For them it's great - for us with 4 travelling, I'd rather use the money on something else (or infact stick with my personal favourite Singapore Airlines) but then I'm not 6 ft + tall or 2 ft + wide!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 12:59 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew BA premium economy SYD-LHR last year. As others have said better leg room, more space and a slightly better entertainment system. Food was the same as economy but you get served first and drinks were more forthcoming. Basically you do not feel as cramped.

With Qantas there is priority checkin but neither airlines have lounge access for premium economy.

Virgin also have PE. I read Cathay may also do PE.

Value for money is hard to tell.

Is BA/Qantas to Oz still at the hole that is Terminal 4?